Best bookshelf speakers under US$1K that can actually be placed on a bookshelf

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dharmabumstead, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am currently using the same set of BlueSky Exo 2.1 powered studio monitors that I use for audio editing to listen to vinyl and hi res music. I am interested in getting w set of bookshelf speakers. I am somewhat constrained in my physical setup, though, and will need a pair of speakers that can be placed on a desk close to a wall (like a few inches away) without it hurting the sound. Is this possible?

So far, I've got my eye on either the Wharfedale 10.2 or the Focal 700 or 800 series (Musicdirect currently has the Focal 806Vs on sale for $599).

Opinions, please? Thanks!

2. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I have the PSB Imagine B's which are slightly over your budget at full retail ($1100), but look like they can be found for less. I use them in a small room on either side of my desk. Not ideal listening conditions for sure. I've been quite happy with the Imagine B's.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

My favorite bookshelf speakers:

1970 Sansui AS-100, AlNiCo magnets, 23" high 'box' speakers with pretty heavy, very solid construction, cabinets. They were advertised as "Bookshelf Speakers" when sold (1970-1972).

They have a super fine sounding adjustable tweeter and nice sounding 10 inch AlNiCo woofer. Crossover is one cap for the tweet, that's it.

They sound pretty darn amazing really, old school 'East Coast' big box sound. No one has even ever heard of them outside the Sansui folks. Super Sleepers. Every guy who has a pair loves the sound, 'big box' sound in a small package. Like KLH & AR: Acoustic Suspension, hence AS-100. No sub woofer needed. These little box speakers do all the work. And they 'crank' if you want them to!

Got my minty pair for $9.98 at the GW. They normally sell for $45 to $60 max. A bit under $1000! :) And... there are other pairs around if you look for awhile, they are not beyond rare... I.E. replacement parts if required not a problem. A major plus with 45 year old vintage speakers.

And... the 3-D cloth grills are totally outrageous, lol. A very early 70s 'look' for sure! But if you don't like it you could easily change it with new black speaker cloth to look modern.

:bdance:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  4. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

The Wharfedale Diamond 220 might be worth a look for you.
    The port is slot loaded, so it is way more forgiving on placement than a rear ported speaker. Pretty good reviews too.

waaguirr and dharmabumstead like this.
  5. dharmabumstead

How about NHTs? Has anyone ever heard any of those?

MisterKite likes this.
  6. arem

arem Forum Resident

I have the Rega RS1's which are supposedly designed to be placed in close proximity to walls and shelves etc. I have mine in a built in wall bookshelf and I think they sound great. Rega just replaced the RS line with the RX's earlier this year but bumped the price up considerably (RS1 used to retail around $800 a pair, the RX1 is almost $1300 per pair), so you should be able to find the RS1 used for around $500 now. I think there is a pair on US Audiomart (not mine) right now...

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yeah. No question there's a house sound. Some will no doubt find the presentation too 'polite'. I favor Paradigms speakers of similar dimensions. More efficient, better dynamics, surprisingly good bass for a small box. Check out the 'Titan'.

dharmabumstead likes this.
  8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The Audio Note AX Two that I reviewed would work for this quite well - the more important aspect is the near wall requirement and the AX Two is designed for near wall placement. All you need is to buy blue tak and place a dab on the four corners of the speakers to affix to the desk so that they won't wobble. My Review is here http://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-uk-ax-two-loudspeaker-review (I've compared it the LS-3/5a and KEF LS-50)

They only need 7 watts per channel from the amp and so easy to drive and indeed, work well in the near field. But they may be harder to find than some other speakers.

You can see it as part of their Zero System on a table top here

And Playing here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzF-S8rhTgw

9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Lebowski and dharmabumstead like this.
  10. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

11. dharmabumstead

Interesting. Very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of ELAC B5s and an S10 sub...I can't believe how cheap this stuff is!

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The ELACs are designed by Andrew Jones who has a very respectable speaker design pedigree. You can also Google "Andrew Jones Pioneer" to find Pioneer models he worked on also at very affordable prices.

Or, depending what you're using for a source, consider something powered like Audioengine.

13. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

There was a lot of really positive feedback for the B5 at T.H.E. Show Newport, and for the F5 at RMAF.

14. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I have the Diamonds....an excellent budget bookshelf speaker.

BeauZooka likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I think the issue with many standmount speakers today is so many have a rear port which discounts, virtually by default, bookshelf placement. You really need either a good sealed box unit, or a small speaker where the port is mounted on the front fascia. Depending on the dimensions to play with, that may or may not be as big a choice for you as is out there (and in itself likely a small number in the context of the topic).

16. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

For a few hundred under 1K I would consider the PSB Imagine Mini's.

17. Don't know if you're still on the hunt, but I have Mordaunt-Short Carnival 2 bookshelf speakers. Good British make. Front-port and placed in inlaid bookshelving. Although they're not optimally placed for perfect sound, their necessary location is nonetheless great sounding. This model is no longer being made, but they or a similar model could certainly be obtained for less than $500. I purchased mine new a few years back for $350. They have punchy bass and smooth treble. They pack a great sound in a small speaker and pair well with a McIntosh MA 5100. I hope you have found your sound!

waaguirr likes this.
  18. dharmabumstead

Thanks - appreciate the reply!

I auditioned a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.2s. It was super close, and the Dentons look better and have much nicer build quality, but I ultimately decided keep the 10.2s - the bigger drivers give them that extra bit of bottom end my room needs.

I've posted the Dentons for sale, if anyone's interested:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/wharfedale-denton-80th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers.480551/

Bill Why Man likes this.
  19. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.