Movie theaters have become dead to me

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by captainsolo, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

True, they're certainly out there, but folks in smaller markets (as I assume the OP to be) don't always have a lot of options to choose from within a reasonable distance. If the handful of theaters near you suck, you're pretty much screwed unless you're willing and able to drive a couple of hours (or more) every time you want to see a movie.

captainsolo likes this.
  2. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

MOVE.

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I've gotta tip my hat to that rant. I thought *I* was cynical. :laugh:

I agree that there's a lot of things that could go wrong with these screenings, but how often do you get a chance to see anyone even attempt 70mm screenings anymore, let alone UltraPanavision screenings?

My understanding is that they will be providing training to local projectionists, and bringing in more experienced projectionists (if there are actually any left out there) for the duration of some engagements. Exactly how much training someone accustomed to dealing with DCPs can be expected to absorb in an abbreviated period of time is a different question.

I'm still waiting to see the final list of theaters that will be running it in 70, but I'm leaning toward driving to Austin to catch it at the Alamo Ritz, as they've got people that appreciate film and have plenty of experience running it.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yikes. There better be an intermission or I'm going to have to go on a restricted fluid in take diet for that one!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...these days...ain't it wonderful?

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It can be tough if you live in an area without a decent cinema. Having lived in the city for most of my life I've always had big huge googolplex type places as well as access to smaller art house type places.

I just wish a popcorn and bottle of water didn't cost me as much as the movie does. :)

8. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

That in70mm list has my local AMC Livonia 20 showing it. A local newspaper article confirmed it. I might have to go to this just to see if they can pull it off. They're bringing in refurbished 70mm projectors and somehow training the staff. Good luck dudes. I doubt there's anybody working there who's ever even threaded a projector since their changeover to digital a few years ago.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertai...eful-eight-screenings-metro-detroit/75905720/

Derek

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'll never understand these rants, and I have no idea what universe the OP lives in.

I've seen more than 100 films in the theater this year, and my wife is making her End of the Year movie list right now, and she's seen 176. To date. In 2011, she managed to see 366.

And we've had only a couple of bad experiences in the theater, and it's been a couple of years since the last one. Maybe because we know which theaters have good projection and sound. All of the ones we've been in have active masking systems, and we can see them change before the show starts. I've never see the dim bulbs that the OP claims (well, once but that was due to horrible, horrible 3D, which is dying as it richly deserves).

As for 4K, I'm sure of it. I've seen 2K, at the late, lamented McClurg Court theater where I could see pixels and aliasing from where we sit. The digital projectors I see are usually Sony or Barco and are definitely 4K. Short of going up to the screen with a camera and a tape measure (which they would frown upon), I don't know how you could tell.

As for the rest, I dislike seeing non-digital projection these days. I saw The Master in 70mm, and do not see the point. It looked no better than 4K, and I knew that unless I caught in the first week, it would start showing wear like every other chemical print, with scratches, breaks and dust. Forget that nonsense. I will not bother seeing Hateful 8 via a film print.

Here are our movie rules:
    • If it is a huge film, see it on the very first showing, with the huge geeks. Everyone really wants to be there, and anyone pulling out a phone will be beaten by enraged geeks.
    • If you miss the first showing, see it on a weekday.
    • On weekends, watch tiny arthouse films, or foreign language ones.
    • There is not a theater we've been to that actually inspects backpacks. We bring in bottled drinks and snacks.
    • Don't see films in the burbs. I know that sounds harsh, but the entitled jerks all seem to be out there. We see films right in the middle of the city, and never have problems.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  10. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Kinda like some of our theaters here in the Dallas area. Look Cinema in a near north suburb boasts absurdly comfortable leather seating, good sound and apparently well designed and sounding theaters. Northpark is also quite nice as are the 3 suburban Cinemarks I attend and the 2 Angelikas. Sure there's been bad experiences from tie to time but I think these guys are fighting to keep customers coming back instead of them watching at home a few months later. Dunno, maybe it's just me as I see a lot of complaints above.

11. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

Same here I have to wear ear plugs made for musicians at the theater especially for the previews they crank those up so darn loud. Most of the time I can take them out when the Feature is playing.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love olde Art Deco type cinemas.But, don't bother with imax anymore too damn loud, and I don't think the picture definition is that awesome..then there's the talkers/ cellphone ers/stinky cheesy dip people. I prefer going to a Cineplex smaller yeah, less peoploids and a third of the price cheaper.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree with most of your comments, Chris, but I think Hateful 8 could hold up well in 70mm provided the projectors are in tip-top shape and the projectionists are competent. It's not impossible for that to happen, at least in the first couple of weeks. After that, though, the prints will definitely be dirty, and I think the number of 70mm ultrasonic film cleaners out there is small to nil.

I'd like to see it for the sheer novelty of seeing a 2.66 Ultra-Panavision film again, but it's pretty much a one-shot gimmick as far as I'm concerned.
    [​IMG]

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I saw some SMPTE tests vs 4K in LA, and the Music Box in Chicago occasionally shows 70mm prints - the IMax at Navy Pier used to show some. Vickie and I are the freaks who like sitting right down front, so we'll see the grain or limitations of the digital projection.

I'm sure Vickie will see it in that mode. I think Quintin and P.T.A. are the last hold outs on film projection. Honestly, it's like still photographers who are still shooting film rather than digital - it's no longer credible to claim that it's objectively "better", just that you like it better.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:eek: Wow! That's impressive.

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've had good luck with Emagine cinemas here in the Detroit area.

I was stuck in the 2nd row for Hotel Transylvania 2 and I was impressed how clear the picture was.

Adjustable leather chairs.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

thanks for the info Derek. I've been to that AMC Livonia many times with their IMAX.

18. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

When do you find time to do anything else? I do admire your dedication, though I'd have to sell
    one of my children to afford that many movies out...........

19. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I would agree, I could never spend that amount of money or time watching movies, if I did, I would look like this:

[​IMG]

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

There is something weird going on with digital prints of Spectre. I have heard other reports about sound problems. At my theatre, the trailers before the movie were incredibly quiet and seemingly in mono. Then the movie started and the sound slowly "bloomed" out to normal during the Mexico sequence.

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

No wonder I haven't been to a movie theatre in what....10....15 years ?

Too many disappointing aspects overtook my desire to attend.

John B Good likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Things have changed so much. It was once that TV was for children and Movies were for adults, today it is the opposite. Now we take the kids to the movies and adults watch shows like Walking Dead at home.

The theater has become a bit of a hassle and just not as competitive with other entertainment options.

23. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Ah, the pleasant fog of nostalgia

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I've never been a big movie buff, but I can't understand why people even bother going to the movies anymore.
    The prices are outrageous, and if you wait 3 months, it will be out on BR and DVD. Others (not me) will just download it online somewhere.

25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

If only there were 366 films worth seeing in 2011.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.