King Crimson Canadian Tour November 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Billy Infinity, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I'm headed to the Victoria show tonight. :agree:

Audioarchivist likes this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I think it's really hard to assess this band without hearing an album of new material. For now, it was a great concert.

John Kelman and Dr. Mudd like this.
  3. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

This question may be a little off-topic, but if you were asked to name one or two representative albums from the 1997-2003 period, what would it be? My favorite periods were Red and prior, but that's maybe only because I don't know anything post Thrak - Thanks - Steve

(missed KC in Seattle last year, and again in Vancouver. Won't happen again! What was i thinking?!)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    John Kelman likes this.
  4. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

How was it?

jeff

5. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

The Power to Believe is a must (imo). It's very heavy (in a similar fashion to the John Wetton stuff), but has a certain electronic style flavor to it. If you like that, then try The ConstruKction of Light.

tvstrategies, Aggie87 and Dr. Mudd like this.
  6. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

It was quite stunning & amazing. So glad I went. Some of the material in the first half was a little hard to connect to emotionally, but watching the band execute the material was endlessly fascinating (especially the three drummers) and made up for it.
    The highlights for me were Easy Money, Starless & 21CSM.

Special thanks to Victoria BC, a beautiful and friendly little city!

7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

That's excellent!

jeff

BeauZooka likes this.
  8. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

The Heavy ConstruKction live set.

9. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Well, actually, the album that made me a true believer in the THRAK band was not the studio album (though I've grown to love it over time), it was The Collectable King Crimson Volume Three: Live at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, 1996. A truly incendiary performance.

I certainly recommend anyone wanting to get into this Crimson lineup start there. Then you're going to want- scratch that, need - the recently released THRAK box :)

Cheers,
    John

richard a likes this.
  10. John Kelman

Alnsolutely! Along with The Power to Believe and the KCCC release that goes with the studio record, Milan 2003.

Cheers!
    John

Aggie87 likes this.
  11. John Kelman

Why? While they now have three new group pieces to add to s number of drum features and the twin-flute/double bass "Interlude," their reinvention of old material that brings it into the 21st century certainly is legitimate enough, i'd say.

And besides, Crimson is not the only band to Ross test material before recording it.

12. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Incendiary is right John!
    I was there at the Shepherd's Bush Empire that night. And it remains my favourite Crim concert experience (even beating (just) this year's fabulous Hackney Empire show). There was something really special going on that night at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, something intangible but clearly magical. Each musician seemed to be enjoying themselves - even Fripp, the little that could be seen of him. Every tune seemed to sparkle with something a little extra. Some wonderful surprises - "Schizoid Man" for the first time since 1974, and Ade absolutely kills it with a storming solo. And Pat and Bill are by now a four armed percussion monster of fearsome power and complexity.

However, the DGM download of that show I find to be a little annoying at times as for some reason a considerable amount of audience noise has been left in the mix. It really gives the impression of being there, right in the middle of the crowd, as I was, but over repeated listens it becomes a tad wearying. I wonder why the DGM team made this decision? They didn't do it with any other soundboard recordings.

13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Sure, but at this point they are a hot date, and I need a love letter to get the complete picture.

tedhead, gd0 and brew ziggins like this.
  14. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Thanks Zach, John, Richard, Brew for the suggestions and endorsements - Expensive but it all sounds worthy... I now return you to your thread topic, which was already in progress. - Steve

PS, by Thrak box, I assume u mean the new S Wilson CD / DVD combo?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  15. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Being a Crimson fan is such an emotional roller coaster. The band has lain dormant for up to 11 years at a time. And when they tour, they do so very selectively. I have friends in Texas who, aside from the Tour de P3, have been ignored since the 70's. Crimson shows are nearly as rare as hen's teeth. But, every once in a great while, the stars align and Herr Fripp sticks the Crimson spike in your vein. I saw five shows in six nights, and I felt just like Jesus' son. The rush has now mostly subsided, and again I am left with The Hunger.

For Gods sake, release a live recording! It ain't the real thing, but I'll settle for Methadone.

16. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Funny, I attended the Stick Men show last night in Toronto, and Tony made a point of saying that pictures were allowed at this show, with a wink and smirk.

Audioarchivist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.