creepy TV commercials

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Were there any TV commercials that used to creep you out, or that you at least found mildly unsettling?

I was always intrigued by this one as a kid, while at the same time getting a somewhat spooky vibe from it:

Mal and Trapper J like this.
  2. Rocker

This one didn't creep me out personally, but apparently it scared a lot of kids and/or disturbed a lot of adults, because the original version didn't air very long... it was soon replaced by a slightly edited version that ends before the drug dealer takes off his sunglasses. This is the original:

3. Rocker

This one's more funny than creepy.... those possessed-looking blue puppets are just plain weird! :p

4. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Lol yep, this commercial was super creepy.

5. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Growing up in the 80's anything with puppets always disturbed me. I'm not sure why,. But I seem to be the only one amongst my friends and family that hates puppets.
    It seemed to me, to be a very dark time for tv, movies, and shows. Alf, that show with the mannequins that would come to life when the store closed, never ending story,. No puppets but I'd add flight of the navigator and Mac and me to the list of movies and shows that gave me creepy vibes. I still feel chills somewhat, just mentioning them.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Mal likes this.
  7. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Back in 1987, Australia had the Grim Reaper commercial warning the public about AIDS.
    It didn't stay on TV for very long because the public complained that the add was scaring their kids.

8. Rocker

Apparently this was a series of "Workplace Safety" ads that aired here in Canada, although I don't remember ever seeing them.... would anything as gruesome as these even be allowed on TV?

9. 926am

926am Senior Member

:faint:

MLutthans likes this.
  10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think this Banquet Frozen Food spot that Stan Freberg did back in 1968 was the weirdest damned commercial of the entire decade -- and this was a national spot seen all over the place...

It's also funny as hell, and even 45 years later, I still laugh my ass off at it.

zobalob and buzzzx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.