Receiver with AirPlay? (WiFi?)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm quite happy with my Denon AVR-1612, which has standby HDMI pass-through and front panel direct select buttons for major sources.

BUT often I wish I could send music to the thing, generally from a MacBook Air or iPhone. So I'd like to put an AirPlay receiver on my Christmas list (does it need to be AirPlay? Or WiFi? Or what is the difference??), and I'm wondering what low-price alternatives are out there.

Could be refurb, could be last year's model. Someone had posted a recommendation in another thread of a new Denon with Atmos and all the stuff for $249 refurbished...and I can't find the post now :mad::cry:

Atmos and DSD over HDMI and all that stuff is fine, but really my major goal would be to control music-usually Spotify, sometimes Pandora-from my device into the stereo.

2. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

You have a lot of choices. The new receivers are supporting Apple's AirPlay, and the more standard DLNA/UPnP protocols for streaming music from remote devices. Both of these protocols are well supported in the mobile app marketplace.

To add AirPlay to your current receiver, you could use an Apple Airport, but they are limited to 16 bit /24 resolution files. There are streaming devices you can use as a separate input source on your receiver, that broadcast the DLNA/UPnP and AirPlay protocols. Mobile Devices that support UPnP/DLNA or AirPlay will be able to stream audio and send it to the DLNA/UPnP devices capable of playing the streamed files over your stereo or theater system. Just search under WiFi media streamers on Amazon, and it should turn up some independent pluggable options. This approach should allow for higher resolution streaming, and position you for using the same software when you eventually upgrade to the current receivers offering DLNA/UPNP high resolution streaming playback.

head_unit likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

head_unit likes this.
  4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I had thought about adding an Airport Express, but the cost is not so cheap --> seemed better worth upgrading the receiver.

However, that $20 dongle makes me think some I must say! So any other suggestions like that are welcome...especially with optic out, since I know I have that on the back panel.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Tell us more about that dongle...resolution limits? Advantages/Disadvantages to Airport Express?

6. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

a review mentions AirPlay is lossless any truth in this ?

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

16/48 limit. Cheaper than Airport Express

Yes, lossless. Better than Bluetooth because the range is only limited to your WiFi network.

Obviously the DAC and analog hardware inside the dongle will be your sonic limitations.

Poison_Flour likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.