Recordings That left You Stunned... Slack-jawed...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tour2ma, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

When The Levee Breaks on ZoSo... I played that over, and over, and over. I couldn't stop even though I thought my heart was going to explode every time that slide break came up. For some reason that sound seemed to say everything there was to say in the universe to 14 year old me :)

Goosebumps just thinking about it.

HiFi Guy 008 and JimC like this.
  2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

It may sound like an uninspired choice, but really Rickie Lee Jones S/T, heard on my fully tweaked system, is pretty jaw dropping. I have several copies, the original, a Japanese, the Rhino, and they all sound amazing. But beyond the stellar sound is an immaculate production, incredible songwriting and the debut of a major talent. By the end of "Last Chance Texaco" I was a little choked up and completely in awe of the performance. Speechless is a good word for it, indeed. The album deserves all the praise it gets. I probably will pony up for the 45 before it disappears.

Kristeva, Elton, bruce2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Vinylfindco

I second that. That version is spectacular, like hearing it for the first time. One of the best sounding albums I own.

4. Vinylfindco

I gotta put a word in here for Genesis'
    "Fly on a Windshield" from The Lamb. I have the Japanese and the Classic. The Classic is not just stunning, it's heart stopping! The intro is rather soft and delicate, then .... you nearly are blasted out of your chair with the most ominous, majestic procession with subterranean bass lines and hypnotic guitar solo woven into the orgy of sound. If you can crank this you'll be in audio heaven!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Tomorrow Never Knows
    I was stunned when I first heard it and that was in 1976 and I'd already heard I Am The Walrus and Strawberry Fields Forever. I can't imagine what it was like to hear it in 1966 before those other songs had even been written.

WALK AWAY RENEE/PRETTY BALLERINA
    I knew the two singles the first time I heard the album. I was amazed that the rest of the album was just as good!

And for more recent times:
    We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace And Magic (Foxygen)
    Cool to hear that people are still doing songs like this!

Oldhall and JimC like this.
  6. TomM

TomM Forum Resident

I must have a dozen copies of the Lamb on vinyl; no matter which pressing I play for friends not familiar with early Genesis - Fly on a Windshield floors them every time. Heavy bombast, for lack of a better description.

7. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Hasn't anybody here been stunned by music recorded post-1976?

ramdom likes this.
  8. Matadorman

Matadorman Forum Resident

9. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

First listening to Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour LP. The sound of that one just blew me away.

10. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Nirvana, Radiohead, Black Angels, Nick Cave, and Jason Isbell have all stunned me.

11. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

Yes! I get goosebumps every time!

I came in to put in a vote for "Carpet Crawlers". On my first "real" listen to the Lamb, it even brought tears to my eyes as I took in the story and lyrics for the first time

Vinylfindco likes this.
  12. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You might be the first person in the history of mankind to understand those lyrics. I know Hackett, Collins, Rutherford and Banks didn't, and I doubt Gabriel even knew what he was talking about.

13. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Radiohead's "Exit Music (For A Film)" absolutely slayed me the first time I played it really loud. Goosebumps all over, just a jaw-dropping experience. I remember after it was done, I pressed the pause button on the CD player and just stood there speechless for a couple minutes.

"Now...we are one...in everlasting peace...
    We hope...that you choke...that you choke."

:righton:

14. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Sheffield D2D of Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker's, "I've Got The Music In Me". My friend played it for me, circa 1978 or so, on his new all Yamaha system, NS1000s, T.O.T.L. amp, pre, and turntable. I was gobsmacked.

15. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

David Sancious & Tone, True Stories

16. serge

serge Forum Resident

the hellacopters one.. hi visibility I think its called..

I could not believe how good it was...still can't

17. Oldhall

Oldhall Forum Resident

From about 1999-2001 (while in my mid-30s) I bought lots of new 45 releases, mostly based on Record Collector's "Singles" column. Many of these continue to be cherished recordings, and feature prominently in my listening habits.

But only one left me slack-jawed.

Lambchop's single: The Distance From Her to There / What Else Could It Be?

Sorry, I can't find the 45 version on YouTube. Here's the album version

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Steve Tibbetts - YR

My roommate and I went to a record store and it was playing. We asked what it was and both of us bought YR and his S/T first album, which was all they had at the store. Within a week, I had his first two ECM albums that were out at the time.

Here's a link to the original album art. It's too big to post. http://stevetibbetts.com/yr-mk-1a/

ramdom likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Used to have that one, but it wore out. Really amazing.

20. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

:bigeek:
    Hearing The Shaggs reminded me of "The Ledge":

21. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I own five copies, lol, and, two of em are unopened. Yea, I was blown away :edthumbs:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

It was the debut for me. Every single song. Great Choice!

23. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

I don't think I necessarily need to understand the lyrics to have my own interpretation of them or to be moved by the music.

Edit: reading this again, I feel that it came off rude, but that was not the intention

24. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Pretty Vacant. Life changing moment which I remember as if it were yesterday. Every time I pass the spot where it happened I remember.

25. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

King Curtis, "Azure" Mono. On Everest, 35 MM recording. Absolutely stunning. Why can't they all sound this good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.