How's the Lenco L85?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BejittoSSJ5, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Antique shop in my town has one of these without a headshell or cartridge for 30$, is it worth it to try and find a headshell and buy it?

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Not a classic idler wheel Lenco, but $30? That way cheap for any turntable. But a headshell may run you another $50

3. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep 30$, it looks to be in good condition with the plinth on it, dust cover and everything that should go on it. Not sure if it actually works though, should I take a chance on it and buy a headshell and a cheap cartridge like an AT95E/SE or something?

4. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I have one at home, in semi-broken condition. It doesn't turn itself off automatically, the tonearm doesn't lift and the speed is also slightly off.

To repair it, all capacitors have to be replaced. I read all about it here:
    http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=15852.0

There is a lot of soldering involved, and I don't know how to do that, so I am looking for a repair shop at the moment.

5. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

According to what I found online it's not one of the classic Lencos, because it's belt driven, but when it came out it was considered higher quality than the idler wheel Lencos.

It's more electronical than the older models, so all capacitors have to be replaced. I don't know how much that will cost me, but I am prepared to invest some money, because it's a beautiful turntable.

So before buying you should check if it still works allright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.