What Beatles songs do you like more now than when you first heard them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Kelly, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade Thread Starter

What Beatles songs do you like more now than when you first heard them?
    Since I loved most Beatles songs on first listen, there aren't a lot of candidates for this list, but here's a few:
    1. Dear Prudence-I already knew Katfish's cover the first time I heard this and I liked the cover more. I didn't like the "look around, round, round..." part of the Beatles original. (and I still think it is the weak link of the song) but I came to love John's vocal, the backing vocals and Paul's bass and it is now one of my WHITE ALBUM favorites.
    2. Happiness Is A Warm Gun-I found this way too freaky when I first heard it. I didn't like some of the parts. I still wouldn't call it one of my favorites, but I like it and have more appreciation for the uniqueness of it.
    3. It's Only A Northern Song-I just thought this song was way too long and had no interest. Now (while I still think it is too long) have come to appreciate the psychedelic touches and the production.
    4. Long Long Long-It was so quiet I couldn't hear it. The recent remasters boosted the sound and I now appreciate it as a precursor to George's ALL THINGS MUST PASS spiritual sound.
    5. Honey Pie-I thought it was hokey. It still isn't my style, but I can appreciate that Paul does a great job emulating the style of the 30's.
    6. You Can't Do That-was my least favorite original on THE BEATLES 2ND ALBUM (the first Beatles album I ever heard). I thought it was boring. I still think the repeated "you can't do that" vocal chorus is weak, but the Lennon lead vocal is excellent and the lyrics bite at a time when most loves songs were playing nice or sentimental.

Five of these are from THE WHITE ALBUM. Not surprising since that was the only Beatles album I didn't totally love the first time I heard it.

2. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

"Long,Long,Long is one for me! I love that song now!

3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

All the Lennon songs on Revolver.
    I used to think they were all throwaways.
    Now they are my favorites. Love the guitar sounds.

john lennonist and jricc like this.
  4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Within You/Without You
    I swallowed the "weak track" pill until I realized it was one of my favorites on the album.

RayS, veloso2, WillieDaPimp and 5 others like this.
  5. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I've come to appreciate George's experiments with Indian music, Love You Too, Within You Without You and The Inner Light.
    John's Happiness is a Warm Gun

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NONE...I've loved them all since 1964!

7. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

"I Want You/She's So Heavy"

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The remixed "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love".

9. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

"Because" and "Love You To".

10. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

"Let It Be" :)

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I never connected with "Something" until I was older. When I was a kid, I just wondered why everyone else seemed to think that was George's best song.

goodiesguy likes this.
  12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Another vote for "Only a Northern Song" - I didn't really appreciate it until the Yellow Submarine Songtrack, for which it was finally mixed into true stereo. What a revelation!

"For No One" - maybe because it hits way too close to home for me now.

13. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Savory Truffle. I love George, but I always thought this song was a throwaway. I think the lyrics threw me off. But underneath is a great rocker. My estimation of it was raised after seeing his son Dhani perform it with his band on a youtube clip.

14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

When I discovered the Beatles I dismissed everything prior to Rubber Soul because I thought
    It was sappy crap. I now love those albums.

15. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Mr. Moonlight, for one. John sings the hell out of it.

16. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

baby you're a rich man... still not one of my faves (i don't understand what the lyrics are about), but the bass line is interesting

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

WYWY, I Want You and Rev 9

18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

All of them... :)

19. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Ob-la-di Ob-la-da was a shock when I got the Mono box. I used to think it was this unbearable silly ditty, and suddenly it became a relentless power pop gem, with demented metallic vocals, coming at me like a crazy train…
    Other recent rediscoveries : I Need You, a few years ago, after hearing a marvelous cover by Ron Sexsmith, which went beyond the pedal hook and enhanced its harmonic modulations and its weird time signature ; I Don't Want to Spoil the Party, thanks to my kid who listened to it all the time : I used to think it was a bit of a throwaway (because the melody resolves itself a bit quickly after the 'there's nothing for me here' chord change) but now I love it almost as much as No Reply ; Flying used to bore me, now just the sound of it kills me.

Texastoyz likes this.
  20. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

The slow version of Revolution. It grooves. I remember hating it when I first heard it (how could they mess up such a great song!) I also really like the sound of the recording, both mono and stereo.

john lennonist likes this.
  21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Number Nine... Number Nine... Number Nine...

If there was a way to edit it out at around the four minute mark, then (deftly) splice the ending to it, I think it would be quite interesting and would generate repeat listenings.

Lostchord likes this.
  22. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

oh yes, now I can easily swallow Revolution 9 too

another one is Birthday, which I never liked before, but now I'm kind of intoxicated by the groove, and I find the harmonies on yes we're going to the party party effortlessly haunting

23. eroz

eroz Forum Resident

"Only a Northern Song": I used to hate it, but it grew on me. It always puts a smile on my face.
    "The Long and Winding Road": It was an instant skip for me, but I fell in love with the Naked version.
    "If I Fell": I used to be indifferent towards it, but, now, it's one of my favourites.

24. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

At this point, I like every Beatles song less each time the horse is flogged.

ARK, brucifer, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This for me too. I always hated this song until I heard the Naked/Anthology versions. I also never understood the criticism of Phil Spector's production of Let it Be until then. This is the one case where I think he did in fact ruin the song (or at least change it into something very different from what it was supposed to be).

bagofsoup likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.