Leon Russell engineered by Steve Hoffman?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Just saw a 1973 Leon Russell "Hank Wilson's Back" CD in my local record store. It's on Right Stuff label and says ENGINEERED BY STEVE HOFFMAN. Did they mean mastered? Or did Steve actualy engineer it in...1973? I'm really interested in this one especially if Steve did the mastering job but I'm sure confused about this one!:confused:

2. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

I am pretty sure this was mastered by our host.

It's a great sounding disc and welll worth the purchase.

3. TimJo

TimJo New Member

My album (on Shelter Records) says:

Recorded at Bradley's Barn, Mt. Juliet, Tennessee. February 26, 27, 28, 1973
    Engineer: Joe Mills - Remixed at Ardent Studios, Memphis
    Production Team: Leon Russell, Denny Cordell, J.J. Cale, Audie Ashworth

It is a really solid album - J.J. Cale, Carl Radle, David Briggs, and many more...

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

5. antonkk

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

7. antonkk

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Steve's involvement with these titles ended when DCC sold Shelter to Capitol. That was about 14 years ago. In the meantime Capitol may have remastered some. The discography lists two Russell titles as having the same mastering for sure. Since the DCC titles are easily found used most people just buy the DCC. My guess is that if Steve's name is on the new booklet it probably uses his mastering.

9. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a question: Steve once said (regarding the "Delta Lady" compilation) he remixed all the albums Leon did for Shelter, but I'm curious if the DCC/The Right Stuff clone CDs are from the remixes Steve did, alternate early mixes, the original album mixes, or both.

I've read some (confusing) posts about the different CD versions of the debut (two aluminium versions and the gold) and the mixes used in each one, but how about the other albums, which mixes were used?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As far as I know, the Right Stuff CDs of the original albums match the aluminum DCCs. In most cases, that means the original mixes. In the case of the debut, some alternate mixes were used, which I detailed about 10 years ago.

The DCC gold of the debut used the original mixes *except* Old Masters, which was a new remix. The gold lineup has not been reissued.

11. Thanks, lukpac!

12. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I know this ia ls an old thread but maybe someone can chime in...last night on the bay, i purchased a "dcc/shelter cd of leon russel's s/t cd". It clearly states in the description that it "mastered by steve hoffman"... i own no dcc cd or vinyl and i thought it was a reasonably low price for a dcc cd mastered by steve. I am predominately into vinyl so dont know a lot about the dcc discs. I see a 24k gold disc on the bay as well. Were there different dcc copies?

Regards
    Scott

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. Off the top of my head:

- First issue with piano demo of Shoot Out On The Plantation as a bonus track. Alternate mixes of some songs.

- Second issue with Shoot Out demo omitted.

- Later gold issue. Original mixes (except for Old Masters, which is a new remix), several bonus tracks, and new/unique mastering.

The second issue was later reissued by Right Stuff/Capitol.

14. honestabe316

Thanks....i havent been able to get a plethora on information about this cd....

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

The RightStuff LeonLive does not use Steve's DCC mastering (as far as I can tell).
    I believe that the RightStuff Hank Wilson's Back is the same as Steve's DCC (and it sounds great).

16. honestabe316

The one i bought is the 1989 silver dcc disk. I believe its mastered by hoffman and same as 93' gold dcc disc with subtle mixing differences but both hoffman mastered.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The gold and aluminum discs have completely different mastering (along with some mix differences).

Aluminum DCC without Shoot Out On The Plantation demo. Note the lineup is incorrect, with Old Masters listed twice.

Gold DCC.

Right Stuff reissue.

18. honestabe316

Both silver and gold are mastered by Steve though, correct?

19. honestabe316

I looked at the lineup in all 3 of these issues and did not see "old masters" listed 2wice on any of them. Am I missing something ?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. Both mastered by Steve, but mastered differently, at different times.

I added the original DCC to Discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/Leon-Russell-Leon-Russell/release/7793516

I subsequently fixed that entry.

21. honestabe316

I see, i didnt realize there were 2 versions of the 1989 cd....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.