Servicing Vintage Receiver Help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AVTechMan, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the Realistic STA-77 receiver that was given to me by my uncle a few years ago. It works pretty good and puts out some good sound, but I'm having trouble with some of the channels cutting out and other things. It needs to be serviced but I don't know where to find someone that can service these receivers to bring them back up to 100%. Its a good unit and love the blue lighting on the front, so it would be worth it to get it serviced.

I also have the STA-78 that was my mom's that also passed to me after her homegoing last spring. It hasn't been used in quite awhile but sure it still works. It also most likely needs to be serviced too.

Both of these vintage receivers I am sure will sound great once I get them reconditioned. I just need to find someone reputable that can work on these to get them going full speed again.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

See if you can pinpoint what commands are responsible for the signal cutting out (every one that is in the sinal path; vol, bal, bass, tone defeat, input selectors) and see whether you can access those from the inside by lifting the cover. Maybe you can get away with a shot of deoxit.

mojomojo likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As someone who looked into having a receiver service. Before you get your hopes up, you should know the guys who do this kind of electronics repair get $120 an hour plus. This is what prompted me to buy a soldering iron.

4. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

No surprise as far as rates go. I had a professional Sony Hi8 deck sent out for repair last fall, ran me $600 for the upper drum replacement, not including shipping both ways. I do have a soldering iron, but not very well versed in electronics i'm afraid. Probably should look into taking an electronics course or something.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Its rough. I spent about six month refurbing my Fisher 500b. But there was a TON of info out there and many people on forums willing to help. With all that guidance (and sweat and fear) I managed it. The problem with your Realistics is I doubt you'll find the same support group and old tube equipment has nothing on solid state gear for complexity. Working on tube gear is probably child's play to delving into the packed-in circuitry in solid state reciever.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

True, but there won't be anything complex (relatively) with the main power supply. This is the Achilles heel of all electronics, whether old or new, hollow state, solid state, computer, abacus or whatever.

Replace the power supply electrolytics for no other reason than, if you insist on operating the device the originals will most likely smoke something expensive or unobtanium, or both. Then it's a doorstop and will never be repaired, never be used again, etc. The old tube gear regardless of manufacturer had basic service parts for the most...part. Sometimes switches were custom, but there are ways around that.

Not so with the solid state and IC age stuff and up. Proprietary doo-dads and gee-gaws abound.

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Pop over to AudioKarma, http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

Do a search for Realistic. Also, note the ads for vintage audio repair.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Granted, this is a more expensive country but I was charged U$ 100 to have 2 switches cleaned on my receiver this year.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I work for less than that. The OP could likely find someone near him to get it up and running for $100 or so. Full recap is another story.
    -Bill

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. mojomojo

mojomojo Active Member

Agreed.Most of the time cleaning the Vol Bal Tone pots with Deoxit will fix it.

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

This is good advice. My Lafayette had similar problems to the OP's unit and a good going through with DeOxit fixed everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.