Pink Floyd '1965' double 7"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Collins, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Gosh, how's the mastering?

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yeah! Total garbage! Throw them on the fire along with the early Beatle recordings. "In Spite of All The Danger"....pah!

Any recordings featuring Syd Barrett are of historical significance. And...these just happen to be rather entertaining as an added bonus. They are fascinating. They are funny. They show how much the group progressed by the time of their official debut single. "Walk With Me Sydney" is a revelation. It makes me want to take my shoes off and do the shimmy. While I agree that one shouldn't sell their first born for a copy of this record, it is a very limited release and an instant collector's item, so from a collector's standpoint it may be worth hundreds of dollars to own this rare piece. I'm good just hearing them...for now...and I assume a future archive release will make these recordings more readily available, at which point I will very gladly hand over my money.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

The hell!?! These 1965 recordings of Pink Floyd who at the time were barely starting and were still alternating their name between the Tea Set and the Pink Floyd Sound are not great? Nor fantastic? Not even up to Pink Floyd's standards? How could they? How dare they? How could 18 year old Syd not deliver? Preposterous. Inconceivable. I'm let down. C'mon, it's not like these guys were amateurs at the time.

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Do you have any idea why the Beatles are seemingly trying a different approach then?

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Those who are interested-these recordings have been posted in full on various websites. Not hard to find.

6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Perhaps Justin Beiber is for you. Very professionally-recorded stuff that.
    Syd Barrett is talent-less and Waters a hack in comparison.

7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Apparently they are - having no luck! :-(

8. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

I just got one from HMV in Leicester...well, two actually :hide:

Hattipper likes this.
  9. So they get s pass because they were amateurs at the time these were recorded? I think they are relevant for collectors and music historians, but not much fun for the rest of us.

10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

They're there... obscured by... clouds ;-)

11. TheLazenby

OMG THIS EP DOESN'T SOUND ANYTHING LIKE DARK SIDE, THIS ISN'T PINK FLOYD

:p

12. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

My post wasn't directed at the people who don't like it. That's fine. It's all subjective. Completely understandable. My earlier post was directed at those people who seem to have created some sordid expectations regarding these first recordings. I mean, what were people really expecting? Unbelievable songwriting and fantastic sound quality? Really?

13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

This release is more "historical" than "musical" -- these tracks are fascinating mainly because the progression to "Arnold Layne" was less than 18 months (!) from this...

Think of it as if someone discovered a tape of of John Lennon singing "You Can't Catch Me" in the bathtub from 1959 -- it would a complete revelation in context.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  14. junk

junk Hellion

This definitely is historically significant and...fun to listen to.

goodiesguy and e.s. like this.
  15. TheLazenby

Well, what about the 1957 live recording of "Puttin' On The Style"?

It doesn't scream "The leader of this band is going to change music forever seven years from now", but it's nice to have.

16. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Good for you. I am most envious. Enjoy!

17. JensC

JensC Forum Resident

No, you're not the only one. I wouldn't say there's "a lot", but it's there. Then again, pretty much every low-budget release in the '60s had at least some wow and flutter due to tape stretching and the equipment used. It's the nature of the beast. To be honest it has never bothered me at all. The weird thing is it sounds like it was mastered from vinyl/acetate, not a tape.

18. I agree with you.

19. tonefloat records

tonefloat records New Member

from pf.com (not much new insights i'm afraid):

To mark 50 years since the tracks were recorded, Pink Floyd have released a limited edition set of two 7" singles, containing the band's first recordings. Entitled Pink Floyd 1965 – Their First Recordings, the songs include Syd Barrett compositions Lucy Leave, Double O Bo, Remember Me, and Butterfly, coupled with Roger Waters' Walk With Me Sydney, and I'm A King Bee by Slim Harpo. The band lineup was the original quartet of Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Richard Wright, augmented by Rado Klose on guitar, and, on Walk With Me Sydney, Juliette Gale on backing vocals.

The package includes two 45rpm 7" singles contained in a gatefold sleeve designed by Peter Curzon of StormStudios, based on Hipgnosis Creative Director Aubrey Powell's photograph of a light projection by Peter Wynne-Wilson.

The audio was mastered from the original mono analogue tapes by Andy Jackson of Tube Mastering and Ray Staff of AIR Studios.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Just got a copy from Fopp in the West End for £26. Asked if they had additional copies. Guy behind counter looked in 7" section and said not but they might have more in on Friday...however, he added he didn't know why they had only got 6 copies. I didn't fill him in.

So there are copies out there still.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Thanks. I'm in Canada though, and we got none. I will eventually mortgage the house and buy a copy from Fleabay; I'm just going to wait it out a bit. I appreciate the heads up though. Enjoy!

kelhard and e.s. like this.
  22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

capn likes this.
  23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Sigh.

24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

From Pink Floyd on Facebook:

"On Friday, a special limited edition set of two 7" singles was released, featuring previously unreleased Pink Floyd tracks. There were just over 1000 of these sets available. "Pink Floyd 1965 – Their First Recordings" included Lucy Leave, Double O Bo, Remember Me, Walk With Me Sydney, Butterfly and I'm A King Bee.

If you weren't one of the lucky ones to come across one of these in your local record store (the only place they were available from), don't worry, Pink Floyd hope to make them available in some physical form towards the end of next year."

https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Lucy Leave, Double O Bo and King Bee sound like tape to me. The others sound like acetate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.