Adele's "25" obliterates every first week sales record in history...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course they did. Grant, they targeted Target. Gave them three extra songs. Research was done.

goodiesguy, JoeF. and sgtmono like this.
  2. Thats what some said about her 5 years ago before she left to take a break and have family. Not sure what people just be happy for her and the record biz. When people buy one record again after some tie, it reminds them about music and many buy other releases. A win win...

Big hits bring folks back into the stores, online shops and iTunes. That is good.

ARK, bluenote and Gaslight like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ever since the late-90s, females in the U.S. have bought more music than men.

ARK and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

well that would certainly explain the billboard top ten over the last 20 years.

goodiesguy, JoeF. and Grant like this.
  5. Grant

So, their research said that more women shop at Target now? I thought the majority shopped at Walmart.

But, I wasn't talking about marketing, I was talking about creating the music, as some people in this thread are trying to say that men aren't the target of her music.

EDIT: I'll retract part of what I said. It's not a conscience effort to target females.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

7. Yeah but men keep buying the same old **** over and over and over again... :tiphat:

8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Sony went to unprecedented lengths to keep this album from leaking, including a visit from Sony NA's president to distributors to inspect security and an armed guard presiding over the shipments to ensure that none escaped the warehouse prior to the agreed shipping date.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I certainly think that some music is crassly designed to appeal to a certain target audience, but as far as Adele is concerned I have a sense that she and her collaborators simply made the album they wanted to make.

ARK and Grant like this.
  10. Grant

Especially country music!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Ladies love Target. Walmart has a discount stigma that Target does not. Walmart did have an exclusive deal with AC/DC for Black Ice.

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I agree with this. It was her creative choice rather than a production decisions to cater to the sales demographic. She is very much on trend for the times.

Grant likes this.
  13. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I can appreciate that Adele has genuine talent and since I work in the business, I appreciate that she's giving the music industry a shot in the arm.
    But most of her songs are just so bland. Hard to get excited about.

14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

For most of my life I never collected music because of a 'singer'. I liked the band's music first, singing came second and lyrics further down the line.

Just in the past few years have I gotten into 'singers'...as in Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson, Van Morrison, Tony Bennett etc....

Even then I have to like the music and for them I do.

Lyrics have NEVER been an attraction for me. I couldn't care less what someone was singing...like the crazed gibberish of I Am The Walrus. :)

Not sure if that's a 55-60 y.o. male thing or what...but I get the idea that females get into the lyrics far more and are targeted, so to speak, far more with 'breakup' lyrics especially.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Martinev2

Martinev2 Forum Resident

Ehm sorry but thats not true. I watch it and so do two friends of mine. We are all female.

16. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

I will buy the album (despite not fitting the demographic ... tsk, tsk). Why? Because I think "Hello" is a stunning song. That's all.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wait...

You're Buying an album because you like a song?

Weirdo!

:)

18. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

It's more about how can this happen instead of saying that Adele is that great. Females who love shopping are likely to listen to Adele. It's a situation more than an achievement. I wanna see Taylor Swift & Adele switch their sound the way The Beatles did from '64 to '67 so labels & radio can trust more creative music. This is the main way I see better music being promoted.

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't think it does make a difference. Maybe years ago there were very 'male' groups that appealed to boys and men for various reasons but today I think young people just like music and as you say don't care who makes it, thankfully we are a little more liberated today, so men are just as likely to buy FKA Twigs, or Bjork, or Adele as they are testosterone fuelled male rock bands, thankfully.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Taylor did switch her sound- albeit gradually. Compare her debut album to 1989.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. Grant

Maybe it's regional. Most women I know prefer Walmart because they feel the prices are better and the selection is larger.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Yeah that's one of the best singles I've heard in years. No Im not saying the best song Ive heard lately but once is awhile a single comes along that you play over and over again. I'm a 61 year only man and lovin' it. It's beautiful. And for some reason it made be pull out again this years new Jenny Lewis album, an artist I really like. But once I again I was reminded what a really boring album that one is.. Too bad.

23. Grant

I think age has something to do with it. I notice that younger men are more likely to buy music by female artists than baby-boomers.

Jim B. likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Was wonderin' about that...

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And the fact that she vanished for a couple years in-between is probably a big reason. Why was that? Throat burn out or something? I remember she called off a tour. I didn't really like "21." I thought the songwriting was, meh. One or two good tracks. I think Norah Jones kills her musically. But Adele does the whole "soul warble" style, which people fall over because they've been taught that's "good singing." At least Norah Jones doesn't warble. God, I lived in Thailand for awhile where "Issan" style female singing has evolved over a thousand years into this highly stylized kind of singing where women do this yodel/warble that sounds like a sick goose. It's like soul warbling taken to an extreme. Maybe in a 200 years we'll be hearing that kind of ear-cruciating madness seen as "what's in." Anyway, I've got to go track down a New Zealand import copy of Susan Boyle's album..

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.