Best version of Ziggy on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frogsborne, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogsborne

frogsborne Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Can anyone tell me the best pressing of Ziggy on vinyl at a reasonable price?

cheers,

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-lp-pressing-of-david-bowies-ziggy-stardust.340843/
    you won't get a 100% consensus on this, but the best "affordable" version is probably the 2012 40th anniversary edition, also found in the recent Five Years box set. it can still be pricey, but i wouldn't be surprised to see it get a second standalone release in the near future. if you're willing to hunt for a vintage copy, the UK -6E/-4E matrix is the audiophile favourite for many.

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

karmaman is exactly right IMO, for what it's worth.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Keep looking at every copy you find - you might get lucky with a 6E/4E - it is the best

Jim B. likes this.
  6. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Great suggestions upthread but I certainly wouldn't pass up a clean US copy at a decent price. I've had Orange and Black label RCA's that were very enjoyable. Enjoy the hunt

Old Rusty likes this.
  7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

That's funny.

I've seen exactly 1 copy of Ziggy in a local shop over the past 5 years or so.

8. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Gutted. My copy is a re-release on RCA International from 1980. Green label.

9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

the green label Bowies are also well-liked. they tend to be brighter than originals but for some that's a bonus.

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have the 40th and really like it. It goes for pretty close to the price of the Five Years box though and both Ziggys in the box are very good, not to mention everything else in that box all of which is great IMO. Don't spend $100+ on the 40th. They may release the box version separately for much less. For that kind of money, spend a little more and get the box. The MoFi is also very good but similar logic applies.

11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

That's exactly the problem, and good luck finding a clean quiet one. eBay is a total crap shoot as well. That's why I like the Five Years box. The main reason many don't like the box is that it's likely sourced from his res files. I would wager if the box came out with a big AAA hype sticker on it the reception would be euphoric, lie or not.

vinylbeat and DeRosa like this.
  12. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I own this pressing as well and think it sounds great!

13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I picked up the 40th - new, sealed, for £35 only a few days ago.

14. peter

peter Senior Member

"Even" a CDN. orange label RCA sounds excellent. I have several UK's, but still wish I had not sold the CDN.

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

RCA US did some amazing mastering/pressing throughout the '70s. It's pretty hard to go wrong with any US pressing from that era.

Old Rusty and sami like this.
  16. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

As he's in the UK he stands a better chance of finding one than in, say, Canada :)

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

18. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

I really recommend you use the search facility on this forum before starting a thread, seriously, most classic albums like this have had this question already asked and answered, sometimes a dozen times.

If you read this thread from 2014
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-lp-pressing-of-david-bowies-ziggy-stardust.340843/

You will find on the first page my post (copied from a 2012 thread on the same subject) which has a detailed comparison of the UK original and the 40th Anniversary.

19. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I have a greeen label RCA international. And a 40th anniversary. I prefer the green label. A very good choice if you cant find an original IMHO.

scobb likes this.
  20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes but then he would miss the most up to date info such as the 5 years box set version

chacha likes this.
  21. frogsborne

frogsborne Forum Resident Thread Starter

where from?

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's a UK pressing so I can understand you having trouble finding it in Canada.

A few years back, before the prices went silly, I bought a stack of Bowie vinyl of eBay - it was really cheap at the time, so I didn't mind buying a few copies to get a great one. I got 2 copies of the 4E/6E, one was near mint. It really is a great sounding record. It really rocks on that cut.

23. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Discogs. I see one there now....

Media Condition: Mint (M)
    Sleeve Condition: Mint (M)

Brand new copy. Sealed.

€45.00+ €8.00 shipping = about £37.17 total.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3642251?ev=rb

25. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

That's good news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.