"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Good theory.

Maybe I'm misremembering this, and I've brought it up here only to no avail, but does anyone remember the scene where the three teenage girls were running naked through the woods? It didn't look like they were having fun either, as if they were being chased or something.

Where does this fit into the story?

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

That happened during an earthquake (or something like) didn't it? It came off almost as a dream sequence. Like much of this show, it's hard to know what is real.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good theory, but it doesn't really explain the doors being locked. Unless they locked them remotely after exiting the vehicle. Or maybe there is some auto-lock mechanism.

Yeah, I went back and watched it recently. When I first saw it, I was thinking it was a dream like place for her, where she goes during her "spells", but I don't think so now. Not sure if its past or future or when it is, or if it just represented her wanting to get out of Jarden.

Not during the earthquake. In the show, it's presented when she's playing catch in the backyard with her dad. He's waiting for her to throw the ball, then you see the three girls running, and then it goes back to her in the yard as if she was day dreaming and she resumes playing catch.

4. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Well, that was interesting.

Hard to believe it's even possible to wrap this up in two episodes

bopdd likes this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Now, THAT'S the episode I was WAITING FOR!!!
    I wouldn't be surprised if it had rejected ideas from "LOST";
    I mean, c'mon, 'Take her to the well."?
    This was nice, and weird, and funny, .... and reminded me of "LOST", which I still like, even with the crappy last season!

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know if i would use the word interesting, but it certainly held my attention.

where do we go from here?

7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I found that very entertaining, but disappointing from a thematic perspective. I now have no idea what this show is trying to be about. And if it's about some video game scenario version of the afterlife, that's, well, entertaining, but very disappointing.

L.

8. vince

I'm sure that episode was just a 'stop-gap';
    Something to keep people like me interested in the show.
    When that 'fireman' guy finds out who's hand print was on the car, no 'trip-to-the-afterlife' is gonna save him!

9. BurgerKing

That's what's great about this show-- you couldn't imagine what's next. Refreshingly unpredictable, which I find interesting. And entertaining

bopdd likes this.
  10. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Great episode, but next week will really tell whether the show jumps the shark or moves into more interesting territory. The fact that this show doesn't necessarily aim to explain the unexplainable has been its advantage over LOST to this point, so we'll see how they do with maintaining that balance.

11. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought a few times when I was watching this episode, this show got weird. Then I said, wait a minute... Love it.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  12. agentalbert

Well, one major mystery solved. No secondary departure. No sucked into a hole in the lake. No town "balancing" itself by giving up three people because of the three new residents that moved in. Just some girls run off to join a cult. How little regard for the feelings of their families they must have in order to do it the way they did so that people think they departed.

Never expected to hear a country version of the 80's hit "The Promise". That was kinda cool. :)

13. vince

I'm surprised the high 'mucky-muck's from G.R. didn't stone her for being such a 'smart-a$$'...... UNLESS, she's been paying for the whole 'cult'!

14. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

That was Sturgill Simpson from his stellar 2014 album Metamodern Sounds in Country Music. I just recently started getting into his music, so it was a treat to see his beautiful cover used so well in this episode. Some wonderful music choices on The Leftovers this season.

bopdd likes this.
  15. BurgerKing

16. vince

I just noticed the title of last night's episode is "Ten Thirteen":
    I know that's a date, but, I can't help but think of the end of every "X-Files" episode, and the little kid voice saying:
    "I MADE THIS!"

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i hope HBO is wise enough to renew this for a third season....it's ratings are not particularly good at all.

bopdd likes this.
  18. I just finished watching Season 1, so I have to avoid everything past page 8 of this thread.

I found the 1st season wickedly cool. Every episode was slightly off-kilter from the world that we know, giving the juxtaposition between the show's world and our world straight edges where they should be round, or jagged edges where it should be straight. It really was just the right amount of shifted focus that created an air of creepiness, of loss, tragedy and self-reflection.

Hell, even in the world of the Leftovers gay marriage and marijuana seem to be legal everywhere, creating what many would feel would be an even more ideal world than the one we currently live in.

But cults, they creep everyone out, don't they? One never knows when the cult will go from a group of peace-living oddballs, to full-on David Koresh/Jim Jones status.

Anyway, there is too much meta-text to wade thorough in this thread. So, all I'll say is that I can't wait to begin Season 2.

19. BurgerKing

If they're wise, they'll cancel it. If they believe in losing money for art's sake, they'll bring it back. Unless Lindelof can figure a way to inject some zombies and swords into it, I'm thinking the former

20. BurgerKing

:ignore:

21. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Please no zombies or swords or dragons. This show is brilliantly written as is, which may be the reason for low ratings.

JimW and zobalob like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is your opinion the same 18 months on?

23. vince

As I said earlier, I think a lot of people walked away from the 'there's no answer' idea of this show.
    Plus, Lindelof has a few 'strikes' under his belt.
    I, for one, appreciate the 'experiment' the show seems to be.

24. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

You are probably right. Intelligenty written television is usually ignored. The reason we have so many reality shows.

zobalob likes this.
  25. agentalbert

Great interview, thanks for posting. By the way, if you want to hide (or just shorten) a URL, use www.tinyurl.com to generate a new one, as I did in quoting your post.

I'll really be ticked if HBO doesn't do another season of this show. It's my favorite thing on right now.

zobalob and BurgerKing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.