Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Ahhhh I was hoping that these would at least be in 16/44.1....or at least available in 16/44.1 somewhere!
    I find mp3 so hard to listen too....

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

The fact that you could buy it officially.

3. joannenugent

I just download 30GB of high resolution music from HDTracks at once with no problems at all! It has nothing to do with size, all the problems are due to their poorly coded program managers...

JimC likes this.
  4. That's a new one on me then - in this particular universe, that never before has seemed a reason for torrents not to exist...

Lost In The Flood and quicksrt like this.
  5. joannenugent

I hope so too! Anything less than standard resolution flac (ie. mp3) would be a total letdown - especially after the high resolution offered on Big Blue. After all the problems with the high resolution download, I can see their tec support pushing for mp3 though, especially if it is multiple shows worth...

Until the news breaks...here is hoping for at least CD resolution flac though!

George P likes this.
  6. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Well you can download anything. Same way you can steal something from a shop without paying.

The thing is people have used the scarcity of, for instance, the 1962 copyright collection, of which there were only 100 copies made, as justification for a download as it may not have been available to purchase in a reasonable way for everyone who wanted it.
    Bit hard to justify a Bit Torrent of an official download if it's made available to everyone. The only reason to go the Torrent route would simply be an unwillingness to purchase it officially.

7. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Sorry - I wasnt saying it was because of size per se, but the program manager. Those with a less reliable connection are going to have a harder time getting bigger files all at once, so the ability to spread it over a longer period of time, as and when the user wants, was what I was suggesting (albeit completely implicitly).

8. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I'm enjoying all of the information from you, and I don't want to sound offensive at all, but that attitude is a bit naive. I'm reviewing the downloads on a private BitTorrent site and 560 people have downloaded Big Blue. 160 have downloaded the 2 disc and 708 have downloaded the Deluxe. And that is just on one private tracker. I haven't looked at TPB or KAT at all.

I don't think availability is cutting down piracy.

That said, I am happy to see that 4,300 people have plopped down $650 for the Collector's set. That shows that there are diehards that vote with the dollar, and I wish that could be said for everyone.

9. joannenugent

Got it! Well there is no reason their download manager shouldn't be able to pause...like HDTracks manager or torrent files....then you can download bits by bits whenever you want. It really is not a technical problem/complication.

Thelonious_Cube and subtr like this.
  10. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Oh I know, and agree. They went for the most basic thing they could. Hit the button to download it, that's it.

joannenugent likes this.
  11. Not arguing the morality of it. But the view that just making it somehow more widely available is by itself going to prevent torrents from being created and posted I think is naive at best...

12. joannenugent

Man this is stressing me out now! I would so much rather have just 1-2 shows in flac then all the shows in mp3. Especially if this is the only time/way these will ever be released.

But if it is indeed "a lot" of material, I have a hard time seeing them being issued in anything other than mp3.

George P likes this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I hope they will press a cold hard media edition for those of us who remember what those things are about.

Thelonious_Cube and TimeandTempo like this.
  14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Big Blue is a lot of material, too, and the 24/96 flac files were reasonably easy to download.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I would just like to publically go on record saying I can NOT STOP playing "Medicine Sunday" lol

16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The rumor is that if you purchased the big box that Sony would be sending a download link to get the 1965 Copyright Extension set -- for free. My thought was that the last 800 or so copies of the big boxes might sell out if copyright set is offered as a bonus with its purchase (especially if the download price (if it's offered for sale to the general public as a download at all) is quite high.

The FB aspect relates back to posts by the company that helped with the packaging design of the big box...how this company relates to the copyright set isn't completely known.

Lost In The Flood and SamS like this.
  17. joannenugent

Hoping so! Judging by their tec support (every time I called in to have the download reset after it crashed), they seemed pretty stressed about this download.

CD resolution should only be about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of high resolution so hopefully it isn't too unreasonable to hope for flac files of the bonus download....

Mbd77 and Lars1966 like this.
  18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

The only thing I can say about that is that when I heard about the 18cd set back in the early summer, the copyright set of 1965 live material in December was mentioned in the same conversation, so I assume RareCoolStuff might've been involved in discussions about what material was coming out on what set and how - I'd imagine it wasn't decided at that point that it would've been a download, so perhaps they were consulted about possibly producing some packaging, but have since been told it will be a download....perhaps they've done some graphic design for the digital download, particularly if there's some kind of branding for it "The Cutting Edge: Live 1965" or something like that.

19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It should be much better: it's a new 4K restoration. The BluRay should be the best it's ever looked on home video (unless something goes horribly awry with the encode), plus there are lots of new extras.

Lars1966 likes this.
  20. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I have debated getting the blu ray too...but honestly, I have the big DVD box from some years back ('65 tour deluxe edition) and it is great. How much better can a 50 year old black and white film really get? I think even I will save my $ on that one.

21. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Thanks very much for the tip off. We're all snooping for the complete details, but from your hints this is going to be very exciting indeed. I'm looking forward to hearing all the DLB source concerts, as the 4 audio only extras on the blu ray are excellent quality and I hope there are complete recordings of all the tour. If there are any new soundboards from later in the year then so much the better. What a time to be a live Dylan fan!

Thelonious_Cube and notesfrom like this.
  22. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

You do know that old filmstock did not have lower resolution than modern filmstock? Actually, any current physical or digital format would be struggling to replicate the quality of black and white nitrate film, which was phased out for safety reasons decades ago. The native resolution of even 16mm, on which Don't Look Back was shot, is much, much greater than any SD DVD, so there is vast room for improvement in the image.

23. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

There's already been a blu-ray with the extra footage released. I had the original DVD, the DVD box with the bonus stuff plus book plus flip card thingy, and then the blu ray. I too am very reluctant to purchase this for the fourth time around.

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Unfortunately, the DLB performances are the ones that probably don't need copyright protection (at least the full ones from the various DVDs and blu-rays, I'm not sure how the law treats excerpted performances). I agree the source concepts would be great to hear, but it'll be frustrating if they are missing key performances.

25. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

The quality would have to be extremely noticeably better... one thing that's getting me is this "Snapshots From The Tour" bonus that is apparently 26 min or so of unseen footage...