Pink Floyd '1965' double 7"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Collins, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Okay. That at least is a step in the right direction. No matter how they handle it, there is no need for massive secrecy.

jlf likes this.
  2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

"...don't worry, Pink Floyd hope to make them available in some physical form towards the end of next year."

Oh, that should make us all feel better. We'll just sit here for a whole year and "hope" they decide to allow the rest of us a chance to buy these recordings then. Or maybe because of their move, they've forced some of us into the life of a music pirate. Arrr.

This was not a well thought out move releasing it this way. Or at least I hope it wasn't and I hope it means they aren't going to pull this again.

asdf35 likes this.
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Just bought a copy from my local independent record store. The guy said they got one copy in. He couldn't believe it was still in the racks himself!

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

They're not amatuerish at all. Someone reading your post without having heard them will be imagining something lo-fi and poorly performed, which these are not. I can't help but feel these overly negative opinions are coming from those accustomed to prog perfection who are horrified to discover the Floyd began as a .... Gasp!... Rockin Garage Band!

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

PM me for my address and Paypal :shh:

e.s. and Hattipper like this.
  6. Can anyone confirm if this ever made its way to Canada?

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No one can confirm it yet. BUT a giant floating pig has just entered the airspace over Newfoundland... ;)

wayne66, Vinyl Addict and Hattipper like this.
  8. ymizike

ymizike Forum Resident

So these tracks become available, and in the wild, a full year before the release of a "Piper.." or "Syd Era" box set? Seems like a monumental F-up on someone's part. What's the harm in making 10,000 or 30,000 instead of 1,000 if this was the plan all along? Anyway, congrats to all who score this one!

J Vanarsdale likes this.
  9. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Has anybody found one here in the U.S.?

Scope J likes this.
  10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I don't agree. A wider release could dilute sales of whatever future release is planned. This limited release protects copyright and offers the buyer a nice little collectable. even if they buy the same tracks again next year those buyers probably won't mind too much

jdw and izgoblin like this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, they didn't handle this real well. They should've made it a point to have a proper 1965-1966 release ready for 2015. I really just don't get the waiting until the very last minute and then having to pull something like this.

12. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Agreed. I have FLAC copies and I'm fine with that until a broad release. The timing is off because they needed to release these for copyright protection, but it will be a little while before they are freed of their EMI contract. Sounds like they have a game plan.

jlf, Lost In The Flood and TeddyB like this.
  13. As long as they do actually get around to releasing them, that is.

On the one hand, they're not exactly my cup of tea -- but they are probably the most historically significant 'brand new' recordings I've heard in ages. If properly coupled with other bonus material, I'd definitely bite on a big, expanded Piper-related set.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I forgot about the EMI contract. That makes sense then as to why they wouldn't put out a 1965-1966 set this year. When does the contract expire?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That's what I'm worried about. That they don't really care to properly release this stuff once they secured a copyright and they've been circulating for a year.

16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Excellent point :D.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Boy, you sure have a way of looking on the bright side. Truth be told, I'm not overly concerned about getting my hands on these particular tracks right away. They're mainly just of historical value, witnessing how the band developed in their early stages. The most important thing to me is that we eventually get the complete Syd era set that we've been promised and it sounds like such a set is in the works for next year. Assuming that it's reasonably complete and well assembled (not a given, I know), I will be a very happy camper. Until then, people who are desperate to hear these songs will no doubt be able to find them online.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Prog has nothing to do with it. Everybody knows that Syd Floyd was a whole different animal from the band that gave us Dark Side of the Moon. (You may also be surprised to know that a lot of prog fans don't even consider 70s Floyd to be prog, but that's a whole different argument. . .) These tracks are pretty much what I would expect from the band at this stage of their development--not exactly earth shattering, but enjoyable enough and interesting from an historical perspective.

Mechanical Man and Pete Puma like this.
  19. I don't like the songs much so I must be a prog perfectionist? You do know that Lucy Leave and King Bee have been available since the 90s and are nothing new to us long time Pink Floyd fans? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Every band starts somewhere, but that does not make their first attempts at song crafting revelatory. This holds true for most bands IMO.

Fletcher MH and no.nine like this.
  20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That is so crazy -just sitting there whilst sister copies are flying around the globe for 20+ times the cost.
    The bright side to all this is that they did make stampers etc. to press this and only did 300 copies, so the ability to make more is freshly stored away for future use.
    Regardless of the copyright issue this little item has drummed up boatloads of press for whatever is soon down the road to come out and I think it will be nice, RSD 2016 may well have the next run of this in the US or who knows.
    People obviously want physical vinyl and although the corporates are somewhat dense I think they can smell green in that. There is no shame in torrenting something like this if it is being shared on the cloud.

e.s. and stepeanut like this.
  21. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

e.s. and asdf35 like this.
  22. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'm not entirely sure. Maybe 2017?

rnranimal likes this.
  23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Agree to disagree. For many groups, their early songwriting and performances ARE their best...especially if your taste runs to authentic teenage rock & roll, innocent melodic pop and raw energetic sounds. You know, the kind of things that inspire people to become fanatical record collectors and inspired DIY musicians.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Sorry I didn't provide a bright side. The bright side is I got to finally hear these recordings. But the way they handled it was messy and not good to the fans. I also thought maybe adding the pirate arrr would help indicate I was not being totally serious.

If proper Syd releases come out, I will be thrilled, but I'll believe it when I see it. They've been dangling that carrot for years.

no.nine and pobbard like this.
  25. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

I'm sure you can suggest me some good Justin Beiber songs, as you seem to be the expert there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.