Albums that are almost, but not quite part of a group's discography.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

He doesn't get to decide :p. It's a fantastic album imho and certainly part of their discography. Again was also a patchwork.

Mark Snowden and munjeet like this.
  2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. It's sometimes considered to be a Bee Gees album even though only six of the tracks are by the Brothers Gibb.

Another soundtrack that often gets filed under its primary artist is The Woman in Red. Motown Records even put a sticker across the top of second and later vinyl editions that said, "New Stevie Wonder Album."

Closer to the spirit of the original post, the two albums by McGuinn, Clark and Hillman in 1979 and 1980 were 3/5 Byrds albums - the nearest things to new Byrds music between 1973 and 1990.

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

McDonald & Giles is almost a King Crimson album.

Fletch, SF Georgie and Lostchord like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Squeeze
    The Doug Underground
    more like.

5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

But those ARE considered by the band and by Universal (formerly Polygram) to be part of the official catalog. Kind of the reverse of the rest...none of the other band members appear on each others' albums, so they probably should not be part of the band's catalog. However, since they were linked by the artwork and being released simultaneously, they are!

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Special AKA

Echo likes this.
  7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

That was a weird deal. The person selling that took forever to send me a copy, to the point I thought I'd been had. I sent a followup letter, and he apologized and sent me two copies. Sadly, I long ago sold the second copy. It sounds pretty good though. Really my favorite of their albums. I don't think it's a needledrop, either.

8. seed_drill

I once read a Fripp interview where he said if you took the best tracks off this and combined them with the best songs off In The Wake of Poseidon you'd have an album as strong as the debut.

Billy Infinity, Tristero and TLMusic like this.
  9. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I think Phil is on everything going back to the Great Buildings albums, other than Danny's two Geffen albums. Too bad "The Boyfriend" has never been on CD.

melstapler likes this.
  10. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Otis Spann's "The Biggest Thing Since Colossus" and Jeremy Spencer's debut could be considered Fleetwood Mac LPs as most of the Green-era members play on them.

dino77 likes this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Mirror Ball is certainly considered part of Neil Young's discography, but not Pearl Jam's.

Say It Right and Brian Lux like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I would almost put Gary US Bond's Dedication album as a "Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band" album---if Bruce ever released one of his albums as credited to the entire unit. He wrote most of the songs and the E Streeters play on most of the tracks.

13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Pearl Jam fanatics (I spend some time on the PJ fan club forums) are generally big fans of "Mirror Ball" and consider an unofficial part of the PJ discography. And the 45 RPM "Merkinball" is a much sought after vinyl addition to both discographies.

14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Not to mention, Eddie Boyd's "7936 South Rhodes", which (like 'Colossus') is credited to "....with Fleetwood Mac".

dino77 likes this.
  15. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Probably already mentioned.
    'Garcia' and 'Ace'.

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

P.J. Proby's "Seven Week Hero" is essentially Led Zeppelin's first LP - it's Zep with P.J. singing lead, more or less. Not sure if Led Zeppelin wants the astoundingly racially-offensive track on that LP in their discography, though. XD

What else.... I can think of a couple bands that tend to incorporate the members' solo albums into their general discography - They Might Be Giants and the Bee Gees, particularly. (Note how many compilations have included "Saved By The Bell", for instance.)

It's a stretch, but what about "Music From The Body"? Isn't that sort of a forgotten cousin to "Atom Heart Mother"? Pink Floyd even shows up in their entirety on the final song.

17. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

From Genesis To Revelation
    Basically an album made to order and nothing the band really felt artistically connected to.

pantofis likes this.
  18. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Ha! Another record to add to the want list!

19. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Leslie West - Mountain

Is this really Mountain's debut. Technically probably not but...anyway, this would be my fave Mountain album.

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Ciccone Youth - The Whitey Album

Sonic Youth + Mike Watt

Echo and Fletch like this.
  21. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I refuse to accept Lulu as a Metallica album.

MadMelMon and Dave S like this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Interesting to hear this coming from Fripp. I agree with him. If the "Devil's Triangle" had been replaced with a fully Crimsonified "Birdman" suite, the second album could have been a real winner. As it is, I feel like both albums, though enjoyable enough, are missing something.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

Steely Dan - You Gotta Walk It Like You Talk It
    David Axelrod - Release of an Oath
    Talking Heads - Tom Tom Club
    Carole King - Now That Everything's Been Said

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Peter wrote all the words on Lamb but he did not write most of the music. Mike cowrote two of the tracks on Voyage but Tony wasn't just going to record a Genesis album written by almost exclusively by Steve. In fact, Trick of the Tail featured Tony writing or cowriting every track.

25. seed_drill

And, of course, I think everyone here will agree that Garth Brooks should have to own up to that Chris Gaines thing.

Same with Prince and the [​IMG] thing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.