Good deals on amazon.ca - Updated as deals are found (pt2)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 22, 2013.

1. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

lightbulb and grandegi like this.
  3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

That's a daily deal only good for a few more hours. When I clicked on the above link it takes me to the U.S. Amazon listing but if you go to Canada's Amazon site it does show this deal. A great price. With shipping (U.S. Prime doesn't transfer to other Amazons) it should be about $200.00. Almost the best I've heard since this was released.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You can disable that annoying behavior. Go here to —> Opt Out of VigLink.

lightbulb, Reader and passion4music like this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This should be made a "sticky".

;)

lightbulb, Reader and Bob F like this.
  7. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thanks for the information. I don't understand about VigLink. Is this something new? I did disable it. Thats one of the things I don't like about computers and related software. I don't need or want their help without being asked first. I stop as much of it as I know how to do. Again, thanks.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I'm not sure how long it's been active, but it's something invoked by the forum software. It redirects web requests, supposedly to generate revenue for this referring website. People have been complaining for many months, especially in these Amazon deals threads (where redirection to the wrong country completely destroys the intended purpose of posted links). Simple enough to disable, using the above link.

lightbulb, imarcq and Reader like this.
  9. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

On my Mac it seems to be part of Adobe Flash and can be blocked by going to Security: Internet Plug-in Settings. Or, hold the cmd key down before you click on an Amazon link.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There's no Flash support on iPad, but the VigLink hijacking occurs on that platform. You can press and hold a link, then open it in a new browser tab. (BTW, it's not just Amazon links: I've had Barnes & Noble links switched to Amazon by VigLink.)

But why bother with workarounds? Just disable VigLink once, and never worry about it.

lightbulb and imarcq like this.
  11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yes, that too. :)

12. Oniros

Oniros New Member

imarcq likes this.
  13. Reader

Reader Senior Member

And remember that's $229 Canadian. It's about $178 U.S. with about $25 shipping. Pretty good deal if the package isn't destroyed while being shipped.

14. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

If you are in the USA do pay the little extra for expedited shipping as if you don't UPS will probably ding you with an extra $25 charge as a "Customs Clearance Fee"

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs/fees.html

I just checked and the price to use Priority 1-3 day delivery is 10 Canadian Dollars more which is $7.50 USD…Well worth the upgrade in my opinion!!!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Is there any way to adjust this without cancelling your previous order and reordering?

Also, the "value" would be ~ US$178 without the shipping added. Would UPS really add the $25 customs fee based on the total including shipping?

16. Beholdentonoone

You can go to the Contact section and start a chat or have them call you and they can adjust the shipping but I took one for the team and spent 30 minutes on the phone with a great Customer Service Rep and here is what she emailed me following our call:

"I spoke to my supervisor about the question you had about customs fees. They stated that customs fees should be included in the order price when you place your order. If the carrier attempts to charge you anything extra at delivery, please contact us back and we will take care of it.

I hope this helps! Have a great day!

Best regards,
    Heather V"

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That makes sense. I've never paid a customs fee in the U.S. on an international shipment.

18. Beholdentonoone

I have gotten dinged a few times in the past with orders from Amazon.ca over $200. UPS attaches a "customs clearance fee" whatever that means…Every time I've fought it. One time Amazon took care of it and the other time they told me to pay it ($88!!!) and Amazon IMMEDIATELY refunded me the money I paid…Seems pretty shady on UPS' part but I bet there are a bunch of people who would rather eat it and pay then fight...

19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

This is the first I've heard of UPS doing it on shipments into the US. For years, I've read lots of complaints it happening with UPS with shipments out of the US. I've had the impression for a number of years that UPS sucks for international shipments.

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

We can get this coming our way as well; when the item goes through a courier like UPS or Fed Ex. It can be a real pain.

21. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Just bought the Beatles mono lp box - $202.59 US total. :righton:

imarcq and mick_sh like this.
  22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

great deal but for Europe the postage is very high so no deal.

imarcq likes this.
  23. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

imarcq likes this.
  24. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

The trick is to never use UPS ground or FedEx ground on international shipments. Only the ground services are subject to ridiculous brokerage fees that are assessed if they have to fill out a customs form, fees which frequently have the end result of making ground more expensive than express! If you need a cheap international service, stick with US Post or Canada Post for far more reasonable brokerage charges.

25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

For the US Postal Service, they don't fill out customs forms, the seller has too. I've sold a couple of things overseas and I had to fill them out.