Does it ruin a live show for you when the singer reads the song words *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Finch Platte, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh, give him a break. At least he's aging well overall, he could be cheating and wearing a rug.

2. TheLazenby

Has anyone here who screams "laziness" realized how hard some songs are to memorize?

Look at Arlo Guthrie - at least once, "Alice's Restaurant" has turned into a meandering improvisation that ended up stopping mid-song because he said it's difficult to commit that song to memory, especially if he hasn't done it for a long time.

3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

too freakin' bad. it's his job, right?

tremspeed likes this.
  4. TheLazenby

So you're saying you'd remember, word for word, an 18-minute spoken word piece you haven't performed for 15 years?

No, you wouldn't.

5. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Seems like a graceful time to exit public performance.

Finch Platte likes this.
  6. TheLazenby

Oh good, tell us how many times you've performed live and how perfect your shows were every single time. :)

No, really, I'm waiting.

7. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I don't notice those who use teleprompters reading from it for a whole song\show - it always appears to me they look at it for reference. As in "ok - this is the verse that starts that with...." and they go from there. The only person I've noticed not use one that I think would is Dylan (as others have mentioned)

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou Thread Starter

Hey, if you're not going to remember them when you sing them live, don't make it so hard when you write 'em!

:hide:

ash1 and tremspeed like this.
  9. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

First time I saw Rocket From the Tombs Dave Thomas used a stand, a chair and a cane. I've lamost never been as completely blown away by a band as I was that night.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Ah, that old canard. Can't critique ANYTHING unless you've done it yourself. Well, I actually have, but that has nothing to do with my opinion. I'm not a beloved singer-songwriter charging money to see me live.

11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

As a Brian Wilson fan i consider these teleprompters to be useful and even essential for live performances. If Brian's didn't say "breathe" after every line the guy would have expired on-stage in 1999 though it was embarrassing the time in Santa Rosa when every line of Surfin USA ended with "breathe".

klaatuhf likes this.
  12. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

You'll be hearing from my lawyer.

13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Tremspeed . Me and my wife paid $5 to see you and you forgot the words to a verse and middle 8 and screwed up a guitar solo. You need a teleprompter and sheet music dude.
    Don't worry though, you are still beloved and TheLazenby it was still perfect.

tremspeed likes this.
  14. Finch Platte

As long as she's cute and she rubs me the right way.

15. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

He just sings any old **** though doesn't he. I saw him at Brixton Academy a few years back , he was excellent and no-one had the slightest idea what he was playing until he hit the punchline - eg. boots of spanish leather, tangled up in blue etc...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I have a lot of live Elvis CDs and don't recall hearing many instances where he had to restart songs. (Only one instance immediately comes to mind, but that was because Elvis was recording the show for a live album and wanted to get the intro right...it had nothing to do with forgetting the lyrics.)

Perhaps you're exaggerating just a tad when you say "just about every concert he ever did."

18. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I prefer it when they sing the lyrics. :righton:

19. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

Every concert you have on CD or DVD has been edited.

20. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Even the bootlegs and fan recordings?

21. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

Especially the bootlegs and fan recordings.

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Did it really happen like that? He sung the word, "breathe"?

23. Finch Platte

I think he left a word out, like "if Brian's ROADIE didn't say 'BREATHE' after every line..."

24. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Gotcha (but doesn't that emphasise the white knuckle ride that is going to a Brian Wilson show ! ) crap hope i don't start an urban myth.

25. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Saw Stephen Stills recently. Great show BTW. Anyway, prior to doing "Thoroughfare Gap", a rather long song, he owns up to this, as well as speaks in awe, of people such as Dylan, who can sing yards of lyrics, from memory. He seemed to only make use of this for songs difficult, unfamiliar songs, such as "Thoroughfare Gap". Good, bad or indifferent as far as how you feel on the subject, you gotta hand it to the guy for being transparent about the subject, right up there in on stage. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.