Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm holding off on the Criterion blu-ray until after I've bought the big blue box on Thursday, which is payday. Only $23o short, plus whatever the postage is. In January I'll buy Dont Look Back for the 5th time. Be advised that a 4K scan is a significant upgrade and will result in a sharper picture with infinitely more texture even though a 16mm negative is the source.

2. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

...or perhaps they were hired to do the art for a small run of the set on vinyl or CD -- although a digital release seems to satisfy the Copyright gods.

3. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

So I'd NEED the BluRay to get the benefits of the 4K restoration?

4. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

One hell of a funny quote when you think about it.

5. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I don't think anyone here is naïve about the torrent situation, and I do think that TeddyB's sober observation is right on. Still, it's irritating to read some of the crowing that goes on, here and elsewhere, about freeby D/L's of the big box, when a lot of paying customers still haven't received all of their legitimately purchased sets, and/or their legitimate downloads. That's just bad manners and bad karma, IMO. Or maybe I am naïve...

BTW: A few days ago I successfully downloaded my promised FLAC tracks from DeliveryAgent, with no real issues, except that I was forced to install G00gle Chrome before it would work, which I wasn't happy about. Hopefully, our new special-triple-secret "bonus" download will arrive soon, so that I can dump Chrome.

Mbd77, jdw and Sean Murdock like this.
  6. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The DVD should look better than previous DVDs because of the superior source, but a lot of the resolution will be lost compared to the Blu. It's kind of like the difference between listening to newly discovered master tapes as lossy mp3s compared to lossless digital files: they'll probably sound better than all the previous lossy mp3s from higher generation sources, but between the two versions of the new source, it's no contest.

Edit: Rave review of the BluRay (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_69/don't_look_back_blu-ray.htm) with screencaps. Looks beautiful, with excellent representation of the grain.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Good point

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

For the most part it's the wildly different arrangements that I like the most, with the exception of the silly LSPB Hat, which I think was a bad idea out of the gate. Then there are the songs I love so much that they could do them any way, good or bad, and they have my fullest attention ("Desolation Row", "Visions of Johanna", "She's Your Lover Now"). While the "LARS" session is of obvious historical interest, to me the "She's Your Lover Now" session is where the drama is really at (lots of soundbites in there if "The Cutting Edge" was a reality TV show and there was 30 seconds of "Next time on The Cutting Edge" each week).

9. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Bleak, cold January in New York, wife and new baby at home, under *pressure" for another record, struggling to make the song happen, almost getting it, and then simply laying down his final testimony in a solo version before throwing it all away. Incredibly dramatic.

10. RayS

So what young Jewish man, transplanted to Manhattan, performing under a stage name, appeared on British TV in 1965

... and wondered if someone might be a moose?

11. RayS

Can't pass up posting this one too:

[​IMG]

Thelonious_Cube and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  12. Richard--W

I wish you had passed on the last one, Ray S.

There is a long version and a short version of the moose joke on Woody's early records; both are on CD.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Just jumped in on the six cd box set from Amazon for $90.73. Delivery tomorrow and download already in my phone. WooHoo.

JimC, Joey_Corleone and HominyRhodes like this.
  14. RayS

The online slang dictionary tells us:

moose
    • Extremely annoying person; idiot.
    How common is this slang?
    I use it (8) [​IMG]
    No longer use it (1) [​IMG]
    Heard it but never used it (27) [​IMG]
    Have never heard it (42) [​IMG]

Since "The Cutting Edge", put me in category #3.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Interesting! Was this slang in use in 1965, or is it just a coincidence that this meaning fits Bob's lyric?

16. capn

capn Forum Resident

We use "moose" in the UK to say someone's ugly.

Lost In The Flood and RayS like this.
  17. RayS

Ya got me, I never heard it before in this context, other than having a teammate who referred to our stubborn captain as a "moose head".

Sean Murdock likes this.
  18. RayS

That one's on the online slang dictionary site as well, but it suggests that it is primary for use with (against?) females, which wouldn't fit in the case of "She's Your Lover Now".

Sean Murdock likes this.
  19. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Huh, the only context I have ever heard of Moose was when reading about the Korean War, where US soldiers would use it as ethnic slur for Korean women...
    According to Wikipedia the slur was derived from the Japanese word musume for Girl.

You hear that in MASH a lot too - for anyone who watches old TV shows.

voles, RayS and Sean Murdock like this.
  20. RayS

And of course there's this guy, who was certainly "around" in 1966.

[​IMG]

Thelonious_Cube and Sean Murdock like this.
  21. Richard--W

What is Sony charging you all in the USA to ship the big blue box?

22. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mine was $14.21

23. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

$14.21 for shipping and $38.39 for tax.

Note they incorrectly charged tax on the shipping as well, which should not be part of the taxable rate here.

24. voles

voles Forum Lurker

It wouldn't be spreading much goodwill to the vast majority who couldn't or wouldn't afford the 18CD set! I might start collecting Helen Shapiro.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It's a good solution, I think, to the ultra-limited physical releases of the last few years. (Although I surely do like seeing those on my shelves.)

The copyright-extension sets for 1965 and 1966 were always going to pose a problem for Sony. Too much material; some in great quality, some barely listenable. A physical release would be expensive and unwieldy. Better to reward those keen enough to buy the 18CD set with a free download; those who are more likely to be familiar with the extant material already, and who will accept the varying sound quality for what it is.

The reality is, it's an expensive business collecting Bob Dylan these days.

Sean Murdock likes this.