Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^= Thread Starter

If you have Netflix streaming be sure to check out this great documentary on Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus and the rise and fall of Cannon films. I watched it and was reminded of how awesome and over the top their 80's movies were. These guys really were renegades.

heatherly likes this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Vidiots mum about his experience working at Cannon, I wonder why...?
    I want here stories...

905 likes this.
  3. 905

905 Senior Member

bump for Vidiot.

4. Have you seen the other docs in this genre? (Also this is the second doc on Canon films.)

5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

* reminder to check tomorrow. :)

6. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

PIcked up the DVD as a pre-order on Amazon for $9.99. Tons of fun, and now I need to find that other Canon doc!

7. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I watched it on Netflix yesterday afternoon. It was a hoot! I grew up watching Chuck Norris and Charles Bronson flicks and to this day I still get a warm and fuzzy feeling of nostalgia when the Cannon logo comes up at the start of a movie.

The same director did another fantastic doc called "Machete Maidens Unleashed!" about the B-Movie industry in the Philippines which is also worth seeing. I have yet to see his "Not Quite Hollywood," which covers the Australian film industry's contribution to the exploitation/drive-in era.

8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I want to see this movie. I admit to loving a few Cannon films in my day - Salsa The Motion Picture, the Breakin' movies, the Death Wish sequeals.

9. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

A very funny movie. The DVD is worth a look as it has several trailers for some of these cinematic masterpieces.

10. danner

danner Forum Resident

Heard about this doc a while back. Good to know it's on Netflix. Thanks for the tip!

11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Not Quite Hollywood is well worth your time.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I did work on a bunch of Cannon films, and that was a wacky company. Very cheap and crappy. I did a couple of the Kickboxer films with Van Damme, King Solomon's Mines, Rumpelstiltskin, Bloodsport, Haunted Summer, Cyborg, and all kinds of stuff I can't even remember. Strange company, but nice people in the post-production department.

13. Mirrorblade.1

Did you work on Lou Fergnios Hercules movie...? where he had his voice dubbed?:p
    Cheap and crappy that should been cannons real name:laugh:

jupiter8 likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, Adventures of Hercules I didn't have anything to do with. I did work on the last season of Incredibly Hulk for Universal, and Ferrigno was not a nice man. The crew was not fond of him.

billdcat likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The only Cannon Films film I've seen is Masters Of The Universe. It has something of a cheeseball charm to it even if it has almost nothing to do with the Filmation He-Man cartoon because it's based on the action figures (apparently).

They were clearly trying to do their best with the budget they had and under those circumstances I think it turned out fairly good if not spectacular.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  16. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^= Thread Starter

The movie characters didn't even resemble the action figures, either. But they did release action figures based off the movie. Another interesting thing is that the planned sequel for Masters of the Universe fell through and the sets and wardrobe ended up being used for the Cyborg movie.

17. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! Added to my list.

18. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

What is the name of the other documentary about Cannon films?

19. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

20. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

21. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I'd buy that for a dollar!

heatherly likes this.
  22. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Watched this tonight - entertaining doc. My favourite quote "Making movies is like going to war. And in war there are going to be... casualties."

23. Mirrorblade.1

So Vidiot, which two Cannon films... were the worst to work on...

24. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I enjoy Breakin 2-Electric Boogaloo and Death Wish 4 the most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.