Most expensive headphones set in the world

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Claus, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I bet that does sound very good. I wouldn't think it a very good business model but perhaps it builds attention and prestige for the brand.

SKean likes this.
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I can't believe for a second they would sound better than the system you could put together for 55K.

5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

this stuff has nothing to do with sound and everything to do with selling a few pieces of "luxury" goods to the wealthy. It's one of the viable business models in today's world, I guess.

SKean likes this.
  6. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I talked to someone I know who heard them at a show. He said they are in the ultra detailed camp. He said he preferred the old Sennheiser HE-60 sound to the new phone/amp combination (I like the HE-60 myself, although I have only heard it in direct comparison to the Stax 007 and 009). I would say that, no matter the price and supposed improvement in technology, it still comes down to a matter of taste and personal preference.

SKean likes this.
  7. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

remember the days of $12k original ORPHEUS? and people back then must have thought THAT to be unreasonably priced...

Dino likes this.
  8. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Yes, that seemed excessive then, but, the current price of an Orpheus in good condition is something north of $30,000. It is one of the rare examples of audio gear more than holding its value.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

10. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Ridic.

zen likes this.
  11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

They can pay me $55K and Ill Rochambo them for a set.

12. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Put the Abyss or the HiFiMan He-1000s with a $10k or $15k tube amp steup and save yourselves $40k-$45k. And yes, for
    $55k, my money better be buying me headphones that'll tell the differnce between a real $100 dollar bill and a counterfiet
    one, and roll its own tubes like bowling balls....

13. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

I think, Sennheiser is just the first to start selling ultra expensive headphones/amps. More manufacturer will follow. Think Stax and others. If there is a market, there will be manufacturers to serve this market.

SKean likes this.
  14. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

And by the way, if you compare Sennheisers current top offering, the HD800, not the S, it is not as expensive as the other flagship headphones Audeze 4, Hifiman 1000 and Abyss. And look for how long Senheiser has been around, they certainly have a lot of headphone manufacturer knowledge.

Tim 2 and SKean like this.
  15. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

If there's a market = raise prices across the board. We live in elevated inflationary times, and may the headphone industry join in
    to find a reason to raise its prices to justify its existence......

klonk likes this.
  16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

SKean likes this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.