Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Wow. No one's gonna mention Bear killing his niece? Or did he? Not sure how I feel about that.

2. I think he killed her, but they did leave it open. I think Bear realized she had no heart and was already as good as dead.

3. mindblanking

Just read an interview with the actress Rachel Keller. She's dead.

4. good actress....and damn sexy.

5. mindblanking

Yes to both. And brand new. Totally unknown. A huge break.

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Simone's death reminded me a bit like Adrianna's on The Sopranos..You figured she was death but never actually saw the body. I'm totally fine with leaving it up to the imagination,

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yep, during her whole 'death' scene, I thought; "she's being Adriana'd!";). The scene was SO similar it felt like an homage (homage being a much nicer word than rip-off!;)).

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

In Ad's death, Silvio was clearly wanting to kill her, and we heard the gun shots. Not so in this scene.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, as soon as he took that turn, I knew she was getting the Adriana treatment. It also called to mind the scene in the Coen brothers "Miller's Crossing" where John Turturo's character is taken out to the woods.

ex_mixer and EddieMann like this.
  10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Big time. The long walk in the woods, aerial shots, the pleading. Yep!

11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

It was basically a homage to that scene ... so much so that I was expecting Bear to let her live and wander off into banishment, but it doesn't seem that way.

--Geoff

12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Also ... the murder montage at the start of the episode 7 ... not sure I caught who was doing what to whom. Maybe that's the point; the violence is spreading out like ripples of blood, affecting more than just the characters of this story.

--Geoff

13. EddieMann

Hanzee... and the storekeeper. Right out of No Country For Old Men.

14. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Yup... that scene also repeated "going crazy out there at the lake" like three times.

Has anyone discussed the game of Hangman in the phone booth that spells out Sioux Falls? Then Ed gets hanged...

15. agentalbert

Well, I think that episode sufficiently answered all the questions posed by last week's - how Ed and Peggy dealt with Dodd and how Ed contacted Mike Milligan, though it did seem a bit odd to have Mike's name printed on the front page of the paper. Is he really that big of a deal that his name would be in big letters like that? Minor quibble.

- glad someone else pointed out the hangman game on the phone booth. I really liked that.

- also liked the paper blowing across the parking lot like tumbleweed.

- the scenes with Peggy and Dodd alone were excellent. But I'm surprised Dodd would leave Peggy alive after getting out of his binds.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Perhaps he wanted to slap her around a bit first for what she did to him. Which brings me to the funny line Ed utters on his return to the cabin: "Hon, did you stab the hostage?" :D Peg's getting real good with stabby implements (pity Dodd didn't have a bigger belt buckle!).

Lots of good stuff here, even an ultra short B&W featurette (was it shot for this ep or from a real B&W film?). Anyhow, the way the scene was used to reveal the escaped Dodd was sublime.

17. agentalbert

Probably shot for this, with the hero obviously supposed to be Ronnie Reagan.

18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Peggy stabbing Dodd was hilarious. Just a quick little lunge into his chest.

19. mindblanking

Wait, so after being tied to the Gerhardts for who knows how many years, Hanzee decides to kill Dodd for using a slur? Or did I miss something.

20. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Hanzee is wanted for killing local police. His photo was posted in the newspaper. He's panicking because he's on the run. It is safe to say he's a bit on edge. It was probably the wrong time to call him a half breed.

ex_mixer likes this.
  21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I wanted the show to continue on when they cut away to the credits after last night. It was like a movie that was cut off too early. I kept wanting to see what happened next. How many more weeks? Two?

sound chaser likes this.
  22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Dunno, if I totally agree with this assessment in regard to "panicking." Hanzee is loyal to the Gethardt family in general, not Dodd specifically, as he probably had few options when he returned from Vietnam. The elder Gerhardt probably treated him with respect because the elder built the empire and recognized a "talented employee" when he saw one. In addition, Bear made mention of his appreciation of Hanzee right to his face.

Hanzee knew Dodd has no head for business and was driven by emotion and insecurity. Taking out Dodd at that point was the shrewd move because all of Dodd's recent actions were based on lies and not based on business. Hanzee knows in the long run that Bear is the better leader for the family and for Hanzee.

He wanted "no more of the life" he's built with Dodd because everywhere he turns, he'll always be "used" for his skills, but never respected as a man.

This all could be the liquor talking.

seaisletim and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Even funnier was right before a commercial break, "Honey, you really need to stop stabbing him."

I loved this episode up to the haircut. What that heck was that?

Trixie Jones likes this.
  24. EddieMann

I think the disrespect Hanzee has been getting his entire life just reached the tipping point. Forced to live like a rat in Nam, treated like a POS in the bar, racist taunts outside by the 3 drinkers AND the police. And now Dodd. Yes, like in Unforgiven, the liquor may have been the igniter, purposefully taken to get the fire started.

LEONPROFF and Chris from Chicago like this.
  25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Your assessment seems correct. The preview implies he may be still loyal to the rest of the family.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015