Pink Floyd '1965' double 7"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Collins, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JensC

JensC Forum Resident

You might be hearing Rado Klose, no? By any meter Klose was the more experienced axe man of the group. Syd's playing was always characterized as "unconventional" by the others (whatever that means).

2. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

I just listened to this on my way to work. Even the the music style is a lot different to what we're used to you can totally here Syd's distinctive Telecaster all over this, and the chord changes are jsut like his later stuff too. I love it. This is the same Syd Barrett who wrote Bob Dylan Blues.

I can't wait to see what this comes out with later next year. Maybe instead of an expanded Piper/Saucer set they could do an Expanded Relics set with all these little oddities (inc Beachwoods, Vegetable Man, Scream, Stereo single remixes etc). I that would work much better (and it'll save me having to buy Piper another time).

My only criticism is it should have been credited to THE Pink Floyd.

3. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I've seen a "£24.00" sticker on ebay.
    I hope, and find reasonable, that there'll be a non limited release of this stuff on CD.
    I can't afford buying a double 45rpm for €200+.

Front 242 Addict and PH416156 like this.
  4. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

I dunno.... the Screamin Jay Hawkins thing could have really taken off if he'd persisted :D

5. Baby Driver

subtle as a sledgehammer there :D

I'm not paying $350+. I'll buy it when its out at a reasonable price. until then, torrents all the way baby!

goodiesguy and grandegi like this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Indeed...what a shame.
    Hopefully they're going to release a CD-single within a few a weeks. Let's have a Floyd-ish Xmas time!

7. Baby Driver

its him! listen at 0:52 ".....I want some love from you" - pure Syd.

dino77 likes this.
  8. Baby Driver

I would have preferred it if it was credited to The Abdabs, or whatever they were calling themselves in early '65

goodiesguy likes this.
  9. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

:righton:

10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Syd was such a cool guy before the LSD deluge. Sharpwitted, stylish, hip.

AlienRendel likes this.
  11. JensC

JensC Forum Resident

.. and here I thought I was the only one who noticed it.

leoconsole likes this.
  12. JensC

JensC Forum Resident

I don't think Syd was in The Abdabs, he was in Those Without; Clive Metcalf was the singer in The Abdabs. In 1965 the group with Syd mostly vacillated between The Tea Set and The Pink Floyd, if memory serves. Sure, Chris Dennis was in there for some months, but they weren't The Abdads, I'm quite certain.

13. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I would guess Syd is playing his Danelectro on these songs.

dino77 and AlienRendel like this.
  14. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Yep, that was the exact part I thought was the give away. Otherwise the affectation pretty much obscures who is singing.

15. Baby Driver

hmmmm you're right about that. the first mention of the name The Pink Floyd Sound was late '65, and Bob Klose was gone by mid '65; so the safe money is on The Tea Set.

goodiesguy likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I was pleased to find it at last, but thanks. I'll look again!

17. Baby Driver

I'd put money on the white Esquire. its in every photo from '65

[​IMG]

18. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

Man, I've got to admit, Walk With Me Sydney is a great song, especially considering it was probably the first song Waters wrote. Well done. So much fun, so much positive energy. Really a pleasant surprise. Lucy Leave is fantastic. Am I the only one who thinks Barrett's vocal on this one resembles the grunge vocal style? I remember thinking this the first time I ever heard it. It's really similar. Syd, the original. Always liked King Bee.

Oh, by the way, here's a picture of the Tea Set, most likely taken at the end of 1964, considering Chris Dennis is in the picture:
    [​IMG]
    Syd Barrett, Bob Klose, Chris Dennis and Roger Waters. I guess Rick and Nick didn't make it. :)

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If only they had the foresight to do this sooner. This band employs room-fulls of accountants. One internet-savvy PR person would not go amiss. :)

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

From the Pink Floyd official Facebook:

"On Friday, a special limited edition set of two 7" singles was released, featuring previously unreleased Pink Floyd tracks. There were just over 1000 of these sets available. "Pink Floyd 1965 – Their First Recordings" included Lucy Leave, Double O Bo, Remember Me, Walk With Me Sydney, Butterfly and I'm A King Bee.

If you weren't one of the lucky ones to come across one of these in your local record store (the only place they were available from), don't worry, Pink Floyd hope to make them available in some physical form towards the end of next year"

21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

"Lucy Leave" sounds like early Stones to me. "Walk With Me, Sydney" is a clever and funny song, and musically cool as well. Though it's credited to Roger Waters, the humor seems right up Syd's alley based on some of his writings. These are definitely cool to hear, for what they are.

Maybe one intention in releasing this was to see what kind of demand there is. I think they've established that there is, in fact, healthy demand.

22. Baby Driver

... or maybe Nick is there playing drums behind Chris Dennis :D

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, I wouldn't assign any credit to them at all. This was a mishandled fiasco, period. The combination of the confusion of the copyright extension issue and a lack of understanding by Floyd's management and/or record company are to blame.

jmczaja likes this.
  24. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The Piper deluxe edition was delayed while they retooled the third disc, as I recall. Originally it was just going to have the Barrett-era singles in mono, then someone was alerted to other unreleased material -- I don't remember if it was due to buzz in the online community or whatever, but they delayed the set and redid the third disc to include the alternate "Matilda Mother," "Interstellar Overdrive" and stereo mix of "Apples And Oranges." I don't remember the specifics, but the release date was definitely pushed back to accomodate this.

Lost In The Flood and pobbard like this.
  25. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

It's more freakbeat than that, I'd say. It's almost nasty enough to be the Downliners Sect.

pobbard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.