Flip Side Records, Hermitage, PA

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MKHopkins, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters Thread Starter

Noticed this store driving past today, but they are closed on Sundays. They claim to have over 2 million records in stock. Anyone have any info?

http://www.flipmall.com/

Checked them out on the web, first reaction is that 1) their website is in need of a refresh and 2) their prices are moderately to very high. I base that statement on their Brubeck stuff which is what I collect more than anything. Lots of common stuff listed as VG condition for $18-$25. Doubt I would pay more than $5 for much of it even in an online ebay crap shoot.

It does look as though they may have some unusual stuff I might be interested in. Might stop sometime if they are open and I am passing through, but with hours of 11-4 Monday thru Saturday, it's not very likely.

2. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I was at this store a few years ago. It is amazing to see, but not really for record "buying". The store is huge, with the amount of records advertised. The problem is that nothing is graded or stored appropriately. That would be fine if the prices were in line with the condition. Nothing is priced on the floor and the lady comes up with prices as she looks through your selections. So, I picked up a few banged up LPs for upwards of $20+ each...some common classic rock titles. I bought them because truthfully I was blindsided at the counter and had spent a considerable amount of time talking to the owner and being shown around the store. So, if you want to stop by to see what I would call a 'roadside attraction', stop in. If you are looking for rare selections that are collector grade, look elsewhere.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The prices at this place are ridiculous! No matter the condition of a record (rarely NM in that store), she will usually charge you Tim Neely record collector books "NM" prices, PLUS 25%!!!

I actually stopped in Flip-Side on Saturday, as I was driving back from Philadelphia and I needed a break from driving. I had no intent on buying anything there, as I had learned my lesson from past visits, but it is still interesting to see what they still have. I overheard this guy at the counter talking to the owner and asking for this rare promo Andy Williams Christmas 45, which I knew that I had a copy of. When she clearly didn't have a copy of it and couldn't find one on the internet for him, I told him that I had a copy of it, that I might be willing to sell. I told him to write down his phone number and that is when the lady literally flew out of her chair over to me, with one of her business cards in hand and said, call me and I'll sell it him. Of course, I knew that meant that whatever I want for it, she was going to tack on another 25% or more, when she sold it to him. In the end, she could tell that I wasn't going to fall for that and she finally wrote his name and number down on the back of the card. The guy acted like he was a regular buyer at that store, so I'm guessing that price is evidently no issue, as to what is on his "want list", but that still doesn't make it right for her to take advantage of the poor guy!

4. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Ugh, that's a horrible experience..she could have at least asked what else maybe you had for sale if you were even interested instead of the quick $. Sad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.