Vinyl Rips You've Done That Are Better Than The Actual CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I'm very happy with the rip I did of Dear One by Larry Finnegan from 1962 (along with its b-side, Candy Lips). Every CD I've heard of the track sounds like a bad vinyl rip anyway, so a good vinyl rip from a clean record is bound to sound better!

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Ha! For a roughly 64 minute album, surprised there was actually some bass :D
    I find the old US somewhat harsh, maybe the lower levels used to cram this much music on one lp helped, who knows...

3. violarules

violarules Senior Member

It would have been nice if the person who recorded that could have gone through the minimal trouble of trying to re-center the record. I've found that most 7-inch singles have enough "play", between the spindle hole and the adapter, to sufficiently re-center. The pitch fluctutation in that video is way too much to listen to for me because of the poor centering job.

stef1205 and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Being so late in the game, one thinks they may have not given a rat's a$$, picked up it at a thrift a few years ago, probably came from a jukebox

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^^^Here's the OP. Please stay on-topic. If you have no titles to add, don't post. If you do have titles to add, please post here. 45 posts deleted, one member suspended.

Raunchnroll likes this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Wasn't that album butchered by the studio?

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Black Sabbath, 13. The CD sounds terrible to my ears. My LP rip sounds wonderful.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is my Sundazed copy of Love's Forever Changes. The LP sounds good but the needle drop never sounds right, the Rhino CD is much better.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

A recent vinyl rip I did was "Animal Logic II". Found this in a record store a few months back and bought it even though my orginal CD sounds excellent. But when I recorded the LP and did a compare, I was shocked that the LP actually edged out the CD - I honestly did not expect that, but again my turntable recording setup is tailored to my ears so that will always give it an edge.

9. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

No. It was butchered in the mastering for cd. The vinyl is one of the best sounding rock records you will ever hear. (my opinion of course)
    I'm saying this in spite of the fact that I disapprove of her band support altogether. My suspicion is that it was not her doing and was most likely
    dubbed in after the fact. Maybe she went along happily, maybe not. But I suspect it was not her idea and with good reason. The tracks would in my
    opinion would work much much better if left as her singing over her strumming and the rest of it was eliminated. But in any event in it's own grungy,
    lo-fi way I find the recording quite lovely. If you have only heard the cd I can understand your opinion or the opinion of whomever you've talked to.
    I picked up the cd and then as an afterthought picked up the vinyl too. It was weeks before I took out the vinyl and listened to it. Once I did I THREW
    THE CD AWAY!

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Who's her?

11. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Oh my, I got confused with another post on the thread. Sorry. All that talk in the last post where I talk about "her"? I'm not talking about
    Strictly Personal at all, I'm talking about Exile in Guyville. Maybe not even an earlier post but a different thread altogether..... brain freeze!!!!
    sorry. Anyway............. Strictly Personal, Exile in Guyville, both absolutely tremendous albums that sound **** on cd release.
    In the case of Exile, the vinyl sounds absolutely fab to me, but...
    In the case of Strictly Personal, the original U.S. vinyl sounds much better than subsequent
    releases, but even that sounds awful .
    I presume the
    recording just sucks. both albums I absolutely love.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, re-reading your post, I thought it might be Exile in Guyville. I only have the CD remaster of that album; it may not have been released on vinyl in the UK. It's probably overdue a reissue. These indie releases often sound better on LP than CD. The CD mastering may be low budget, or lacking in care, or both.

Strictly Personal is kinda ruined due to the production, but I'm more a Trout Mask Replica kind of guy.

13. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Made In Europe (except for the occasional unfortunate crackle)

It actually sounds DRIER and cleaner than the cd.

Weasels Ripped My Flesh (24/96 Mint WEA Pressing)

Sadly i lost this transfer a few years ago, but it sounded fantastic. None of the versions i've heard since can compare. No additional processing needed. Vibrant, open and dynamic from the start.
    I wish i hadn't deleted it. That was really stupid, especially since the record has somehow developed a skip at the very start of Side 1 since.

14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Porcupine Tree's In Absentia Tonefloat Vinyl reissue greatly eclipses the horribly mastered CD.

15. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Forum Resident

Dr Ebbetts

JFS3 likes this.
  16. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Wow, i've never heard about that. How can a CD rip sound different from the source?

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have a fairly accurate sound signature of my turntable setup, in Audacity (a lot of trial and error to get it, that was the hard part). I take my CD rip and scripted a combination of clipfix / re-EQ to that sound signature and it makes a noticable difference in how my rips sound.

I still buy the vinyl of course, if my budget permits. But this CD tweaking option keeps costs down and allows me to better enjoy modern releases while keeping the ear bleeding masterings under control somewhat.

Poxy Bowsy and c-eling like this.
  18. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

19. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Judas Priest - Stained Class (early '80s barcode reissue), Iron Maiden - Powerslave (original LP) and any of the new Rush re-release series IMO my needledrops are better than the CDs. Have found plenty of disappointing cases where the LP is worse than the CD like Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny, Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force, and a terrible German pressing of Pink Floyd's Animals.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Good news since I'm getting ready to needledrop my copy of Stained Class :) It's probably the same as yours--I would have bought it in the early/mid 80s. And thanks for the tip on Rising Force. I've almost plucked that out of the bins several times. Glad I passed :laugh:

21. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another one:
    Doobie Bros - Farewell Tour

Was really disappointed with the 2008 re-issue.

22. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Well, considering there IS no CD...
    [​IMG]

23. Lots of them. If the LP sounds significanty better than the CD than the rip will sound better as well. At least that's my experience.

24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I remember how excited I was to finally get on his list. Then a week later he announced he was quitting.

:mad:

25. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I made my first needledrop this week: I digitised my Audio Fidelity The Sensual World record and the result sounds better than the rip from the CD.

I did struggle a bit with my audio interface (part of a Novation X-Station synth) and my Apple Logic DAW, but after some tests and reconfiguration it worked fine. I was amazed at the amount of hum and rumble I recorded, and tried to remove that a bit, which didn't improve the music itself. Eventually I just left it as it was, being part of the "vinyl experience". The tonality of the record is so much better than that of the CD, it is sad that AF wasn't allowed to release an (SA)CD of this remaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.