Alternative to Beats headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I agree. It's pretty cool that kids want big headphones these days.

And style counts. Do you think hard core audiophiles would pick the same gear if it were invisible? :shh:

Dino likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually I am thinking now in a different direction, which is a set of Bose Quiet Comforts. Over-the-ear but not huge (the kid does NOT want huge, says my AKG K240DFs look "too 70s studio"). Noise reduction for frequent plane flights...and frequently listening to something while mom watches TV. $300 though...hmmm.
    Course I could borrow them to mow the lawn with :p
    The sound was pretty...clear? That is not the right word. Seemed a bit bass shy, albeit with good articulation of low notes.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not a beats fan at all, fake bass doesn't make any sense to me at all, why would you want to hear something that wasn't meant to be there by the artist who made it?

4. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Because that's probably the last thing kids his age care about.

And get that kid what he's asking for. He'll love you for it! Well he certainly won't hate you. ;)

5. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

If he's wanting the gold ones, he certainly doesn't care what they sound like. You're confusing a fashion purchase with an audio one.

This guy doesn't care that his watch isn't swiss:
    [​IMG]

6. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

^
    Wow - I had not imagined anything like this!

7. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I would bet if you did a blind audio test with a kid who wants Beats and the outcome is another brand being picked as best sounding, the Beats will still be wanted over the other.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

A teenager wants to be accepted by his/her classmates. Wearing Beats is like wearing selvedge jeans, it's all about looking cool. How they sound is secondary. Get him what he wants so he can be one of the cool kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.