Neil Young Performance Series, so far....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PacificOceanBlue, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but what happened to the live Crazy Horse album 'Alchemy' which was mooted a year or so back. It was rumoured to be the third in the 'rust' trilogy (after Live Rust and Weld), taken from the 2012 Crazy Horse shows. I have a recording from that tour but a official document would be welcomed.

I second the request for some Mirrorball shows too. I revisited that album recently and enjoyed it a lot more than I recall when it initially came out. 'I'm the Ocean' is a great track.

laf848, theMess, LarsO and 4 others like this.
  2. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Doesn't have to be. The live Yes box is 14 discs and retails for about $70.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  3. This would be a big let down.The multimedia aspect of Archives Vol 1 was what made it so great.Not promising for release any time soon if they can't even decide on format.

Heart of Gold and footlooseman like this.
  4. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

My opinion:
    Put it out in PONO, and make a "selections from" on vinyl, or another few in the performance series (I second the Ducks shows, Pearl Jam/Neil shows, etc). Personally, I wouldn't need the hundreds of songs contained all on vinyl.

qtrules likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I love all of these but I haven't heard "The River Boat".

At the bottom of the list I would put Sugar Mountain and Blue Note. I like them both but Sugar mountain is a little sparse and Massey hall is a better solo set by comparison. Blue Note is great but I don't love the songs as much as the "hits".

The rest is a tie for first place. It would be cool to get something from the "comes a Time" era. I can live without Mirror Ball.

6. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I haven't heard all of these yet. But I absolutely love the Cellar Door album. I sort of avoided picking it up for a time because (as others have mentioned) it's got some song overlap with some other volumes ... but was blown away.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  7. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I wish that Neil would let New West Records release the full Austin City Limits performance like they've been able to do with other artists.

highway, BNell, Davido and 3 others like this.
  8. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I love Massey Hall. I need to get the official release of Fillmore East, and I very much want Bluenote Cafe.

9. Problem with that is that Pono is only available in US and there are no plans to expand it to the rest of the world.No access to Archives for the rest of us.Similarly although people on this forum get all excited over vinyl it is only a very small part of music sales and to only release stuff in this format excludes most of your audience.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

pono is in canada now.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am very surprised that young hasn't coerced CSN to release one of their shows in this performance series, it would be big bucks for him, and them.

even more interesting would be one of the 5 shows performed by the stills-young band before the infamous 'eat a peach" note.....now that would sell a lot of copies.

qtrules likes this.
  12. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i have a boot from the boston stills-young show that is fantastic.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i saw the cleveland show, and it is/was one of the best concerts i have been to, what a band.

qtrules likes this.
  14. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Now Neil is in the Pono thing and this is the possible scenario. Anyway put it on Pono and you have another release buried in a hidden hole like the recent Neil remasters (first Neil works not charting at all)
    Every artist can release his work on some download files. But Neil promised videos and books for his Archives project. I doubt that this is gonna accomplished with a Pono release.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  15. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i thought for sure we'd see archives 2 last december as a kick off for PONO.

16. James Bennett

I, for one, will not buy a $300 set like this on physical digital media. I would absolutely buy more performance series titles on vinyl, and probably an Archives 2 in high-res digital. I respect that you want the set, though, for sure. I'm not a massive fan of physical digital media anymore, and not much interest in the discs whatsoever.

Another idea, would be to have the videos included via Vimeo in HD, or, in the future, 4K streaming (which will be coming soon). There's so much restriction when it comes to the discs. Archives 2 could be endless if done right. Just my $.02.

17. James Bennett

Also, you can pretty much bet your a** that Neil will be using it promote the PONO with some sort of exclusivity.

18. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Good luck with that. Aside from Neil's rich friends there's never been a viable market for Pono.

19. James Bennett

Disagree. Even if the player fails, HD audio, I think, will continue to have a market that they can continue business with.

20. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Technics in Europe could be a strong competitor for Pono and is selling the recent Neil Young cd downloads.

21. Volume 2, 3 and 12 are the ones I've played the most, but the new volume 11 release is probably going to join the top 3 soon at the expense of volume 12.

22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

And a multimedia interactive experience with info and documents (photographs, memorabilia, scans, etc....).
    Anyone who has experienced Volume 1 of the Archives on Bluray knows that releasing Volume 2 only in audio form is vain.

23. James Bennett

So, under that logic, you're saying "Neil, release this on BluRay, or not at all". That seems weird to me.
    I respect your desire for the BluRays, but they're a dying format. Physical digital media, if not yet dead, is certainly dying.

24. What I'm most looking for are legit live versions of 'Computer Age' and 'Sample and Hold' - both originally from Trans.

He did both on a couple different tours in the mid 80's, and both were incredible, and far better than their studio counterparts.

theMess and qtrules like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Top three:
    1-Massey Hall, 1971
    2-Fillmore East, 1970
    3-Canterbury House, 1968

theMess, Sean, Muggles and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.