Bruce Springsteen The Ties That Bind : The River Collection 12/4*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Oct 16, 2015.

1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

"Out In The Street" from Tempe:

budwhite, ragged company, dee and 2 others like this.
  2. dee

dee Senior Member

^Fwiw, seems to me more like a classic E St. Band SOUND :)^

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's a lot to pay for basically one live blu-ray. The more I think about it, the more I think eventually it will get a separate release, once they've sold as many copies of the box as they can. I'm excited about the new tracks, but I can listen to the audio portion on Apple Music (who needs another copy of The River, really?).

Hiptobesquare likes this.
  4. Hiptobesquare

Hiptobesquare Active Member

Did the other Bruce boxes come down in price over time?

5. walrus

Not really. I just think the live video will have it's own release eventually. I could easily be wrong about this, but it seems silly to go through all that work to restore it, only to make it available to the limited audience who'd pay ~$100 for a box set. I still haven't gotten the Darkness box for the same reason, since all I really need is the live footage.

I don't really make enough to throw money at box sets where 70% of the contents are things I don't need or won't actually play. (i.e. CD's or documentaries I saw once on HBO and enjoyed but don't really need to watch again) This trend will die down eventually, and then I think the labels will try to squeak out a few more bucks by cannibalizing the individual parts for fans who passed on the boxes earlier.

Again, pure conjecture on my part, but it seems logical, in my mind, at least.

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Well put my good man

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Apologies for asking something that's likely been asked in some form here before, but I've scanned the last few pages (31-33) and done a quick search for "best price" and that didn't help out all that much. So...

What is the best price folks have seen for the Blu-Ray version of this thing in the States? I've seen $90 shipped from a couple spots (importcds, fye-w/coupon). Anybody beat that?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  8. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

The three preview videos from the Tempe show on YouTube are so great to watch. Incredible stuff. Friday can't come soon enough!

9. belardd

belardd Senior Member

the last good old boy tour

10. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

There's an obvious difference between Bruce and Miles in that Bruce is still with us...

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Dylan uses a hands off approach.

Not even Streisand re-did her vocals on her "Release Me" archive project.

csnfan likes this.
  12. mrjinks

I'll just try to bump this once (before the FYE code expires later today). Is there a better price than roughly $90 out there for this set?

13. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

That's the lowest I've seen.

mrjinks likes this.
  14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm eager to hear this. But, since it's not a limited edition, I'll wait a month or two until I've recovered from paying for Dylan's The Cutting Edge Collectors Edition which is limited and five times the price.

15. mrjinks

Thanks for responding! :wave:

16. SoundAdvice

Hammersmith didn't get a release outside the boxset.

The Paramount Darkness show didn't get a release outside the boxset.

Tempe as presented on this boxset almost perfectly fits on 2 CDs. About 80 mins per disc.

17. walrus

I still think they will eventually. At least the Born To Run box was reasonably priced. I bought that one, but that was also 2005 when I still spun CD's. The live Darkness stuff, I don't know. I haven't seen it but it's just from an in-house video feed, right? But the Tempe footage is worthy of a general release. Once they stop being able to bundle this stuff with CD's because the format dies, I think you'll see it. The footage is too good just to sit there, and everyone likes to make a buck.

18. SoundAdvice

Paramount was the 2010 performance of Darkness.

A wide release of prime era Bruce & ESB have been an obvious release for 40 years. He has a stick up his bum for whatever reason for pre-breakup live releases being widely available in original form.

Bruce is missing mountains of opportunities with breaking up those sets, vinyl reissues from tunnel on wards, Tracks vinyl, Pure Blu-ray releases of SSB + D&D and blu-rays of Hammersmith/HBO 2000/Magic tour/2012 tour.

19. jimfromny

jimfromny Forum Resident

Barnes & Noble: today's "pre-sale" price is $90.99. Use 20% off coupon code F8X7X8P to reduce the price to $72.80. Free shipping. HOWEVER, you cannot order using this coupon code until Friday's release date and there's no guarantee that the price of $90.99 will still be in effect on Friday. Also no guarantee that the 20% off code will still be in effect on Friday. But $73 sounds better to me than $90!

20. mrjinks

Even better - think I'll wait a couple days and give it a shot!

21. walrus

Yep. Although vinyl reissues of Tunnel onwards are probably coming soon, I would imagine.

I wonder if maybe the live bootleg series is sort of a "toe in the water" kind of thing. Someone told Landau they could make more money with overpriced box sets, but I have faith eventually that will subside. There's a limit to what the market can bear, I think.

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Saw the docu yesterday. Had low expectations but I enjoyed it. But what a missed opportunity. They should've invited Steve. I really wanted his opinion about those sessions which is his favorite with the ESB.

Bruce seemed tired and his voice has lost a lot since 05-09. The live footage, outtake songs and information about the sessions made it work but hearing him perform some of the party songs solo acoustic made it more like Tom Joad. Nice intro to Independence day, haven't heard him doing that before and Wreck on the highway was the best of the bunch.

23. I have scanned through this thread, but may have missed: is there a vinyl release planned?

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It doesn't seem so which is a shame, I've found Bruce's most recent releases sound so much better from a mastering/sound quality perspective on vinyl than their CD counterparts do.

25. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I thought there was a recent release of The River on vinyl? There was the vinyl boxed set and then individual releases, right? They might have been Record Day items, I lose track...