Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Hudson Hawke (Bruce Willis)
    1941 (Spielberg Directed)
    Two of my all-time fave movies. How anyone could not love them is beyond me :)

2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The Wicker Man....2006.

That's right. I love it. I could not believe it was held in such low regard. I have never seen the original (that is highly regarded), so maybe that is the catch.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It's got mostly-positive reviews on both IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, but I don't know anyone who admits to liking Zoolander (except for myself).

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

4. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

The Manster!

geralmar likes this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

House of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night of Dark Shadows (1971). Awful movies. Badly made movies. But I'm totally into them. Warner Brothers screwed up the transfers on blu-ray but it's better than nothing.

Puppet On a Chain (1971).

geralmar and wayneklein like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe - or it might just be a terrible movie! :shrug:

I vote for the latter...

7. Oatsdad

I liked "Hawk" when I saw it theatrically, but when I watched it again on DVD a few years ago, I couldn't figure out why. The critics were right!

My screenings of "1941" have only been in adulthood, but that's another one I think deserves its poor reputation...

8. Oatsdad

I just watched this again on Blu-ray the other week. It's... okay. It has some funny moments, though I think Ben Stiller is the weakest link.

Someone must like it or they wouldn't be making a sequel! :)

9. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I have always loved Blake Edwards' "Skin Deep" starring the late great John Ritter.

Saw it upon release in theater with 3 friends, they all left midway but I stayed. I still watch it at least once per year. Ritter was a great actor.

Mechanical Man and nosticker like this.
  10. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

1981 Dragonslayer

Which I love - it has some very smart dialogue and under rated acting - esp Sir Ralph Richardson.

Not to mention what I think is the best movie dragon....ever....still.

11. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I've always liked the movie Innerspace with Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan and Martin Short. Not too many people I know really cared for it, tho...

12. Karsten

Karsten Forum Resident

I truly think "The Invention of Lying" is a flawed masterpiece - I seem to remember Ebert liked it too, for what it's worth.

13. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

I kind of doubt the uncut version of "House" would have I proved it much. "night" plays like a compressed version of what happens in the series except for the ending.

Both are OK but you do have to have an affection for "Dark Shadows" to enjoy them.

Actually "Dune" represented Lynch's cut. He did want it to be much longer as I recall with a three hour early version but he had the final cut on the film.

"Bram Stoker's Dracula" uses a lot of old school effects and harks back to the silent film making era when films looked more stylized. His inspiration were films like "Nosferstu", "The Cabinet of Dr. Calgeri" and German expressionist thrillers as well as Russian ones as well.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. wayneklein

I do. Terrific,little science fiction comedy but then I'm a Joe Dante fan.

15. wayneklein

Good to hear. I would agree with Ebert's assessment and yours. I fnd few people who like it or remember it thiugh. Maybe it's the whole God angle or lack thereof.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  16. wayneklein

Never seen "Hudson Hawke" in its entirety though HBO at one time seemed to be running it endlessly. "1941" I have an affection for --it's like "It's A Mad Mad Mad World" only it uses a background that many would not find funny. Things like "I Was A Malr War Bride" didn't use WWII" per se as the basis of the comedy whereas ""1941" did much more so including an attack on California by sea.

17. Oatsdad

I liked it!

http://www.dvdmg.com/dragonslayer.shtml

I liked it!

http://www.dvdmg.com/innerspacebr.shtml

And here's where I diverge. I agree with the "flawed" part, though! :D

http://www.dvdmg.com/inventionoflyingbr.shtml

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wayneklein said:

Two for me both with Ricky Gervais:
    Ghost Town
    The Invention of Lying

love both!

alexpop likes this.
  19. Michael

I enjoyed this more than Fantastic Voyage...

20. Michael

yes, I liked that one as well!

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Michael

I have the 2 DVD set...

22. Michael

never understood the massive dislike for that movie...I liked it! as all of the Species movies 1&2 being the best...especially the bouncy breast scenes in slo-mo! LOL!

23. Michael

Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)
    beans, beans, beans...

Richard--W likes this.
  24. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

No he didn't, and that's the inherent problem of the film; Lynch was under contract from day one to deliver a film lasting no more than two-and-a-half hours (150 minutes) at most, but at some point during the post-production phase, Universal lost their nerve and ordered the film to be no longer than 137 minutes at most so they could squeeze in the maximum number of showings per day during it's theatrical run... Lynch was forced to tear into and effectively eviscerate his own film at legal gunpoint.

Dune was never intended to be a three-hour film, Lynch had no idea how long the final cut would be, but both Universal and Dino DeLaurentiis wanted a two-hour film, and they held final-cut rights not Lynch, thus the version we got. I have always and will always contend that had Universal given Lynch the 150-minute maximum running time he was under contract to deliver, we would have got an altogether better film, those 13 extra minutes could have made a lot of difference in the overall...

tomunbound likes this.
  25. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Any love for Big Trouble in Little China? :)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.