How long would it take you to listen to the music you haven't gotten to yet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

If you started listening to the music in your collection that you haven't listened to yet, how long do you think would it take you to listen to all of it at least once?

I think it would take me at least a decade even if I only listened to one album a day. :help:

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I picked up a Glitter Band album for a buck over the weekend, but it needs a peel. I think that's it since I played the new Gilmour last night and the Mott album this morning.

3. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

About an hour.

There's one disc of the John Abercrombie box on ECM that is in the car awaiting a listen. Apart from that everything I have has been listened to at least once.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  4. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Probably just over 200 single CD's plus several box sets that I haven't touched yet. If I'd quit buying I could be caught up by spring....

5. PaulKTF

Yeah, but that wouldn't be as much fun, now would it? :)

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I definitely have some gaps here and there...stuff bought cheaply (a buck or less) and then sat on the sidelines. But I figure I could bang them out in a day or two, if I put my mind to it.

7. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I said an hour, but honestly I can't think of anything I have that hasn't been listened to at least once.

I interpreted the title of the post as more about stuff you didn't own but wanted to listen to.

8. PaulKTF

I meant stuff you owned but just hadn't listened to yet. ;)

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Guessing a year, if I didn't have to listen to my wife sometimes.

10. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Currently About an hour ,
    the last cd I bought : Relaxation & Meditation with music and Nature.
    I listened to all of the items ( cds and records) in my collection at least once.

If you asked the question a month ago then I had 8 cds I did not listen to them
    but today there is only the one cd that I mentioned

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I've listened to everything I own, at least once, probably more. So I went with 'about an hour', since that's the lowest number in the poll.

Monosterio and Front 242 Addict like this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It ain't gonna happen.

rstamberg likes this.
  13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Probably a few days, and most of it would be live recordings that I've picked up online. Most regular releases that I buy I listen to right away.

redsock and Front 242 Addict like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Usually, I would only have a backlog of a few weeks' worth of listening, but right now I am further behind than ever. It would take a few months, given that I like to do the first listen at home at the stereo and only about a couple of hours a day at best to do that. My backlog is a lot bigger than usual because of the huge Grateful Dead and Dylan releases this year, and a lot of other archival reissues and other acquisitions as well. I have had the 80-disc Grateful Dead CD set for about 6 weeks and have not quite gotten half way through, for example. Discovering this forum a few years ago didn't help the situation. All of it is stuff I intend to get to, and at least there is never a moment where there aren't some great fresh choices at hand. But looking at it from this perspective, it seems like I might have a little bit of a problem...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It's not the unplayed played music I own that bothers me as much as all the DVDs and Blu-ray Discs I've amassed over the last few years I haven't even cracked the shrink-wrap on. Ever since video streaming i.e., Netflix, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV entered the household I just don't seem to watch my physical (video) media much at all. I literally have a pile of unopened discs, many of which are imported, FWIW, that I haven't opened, much less watched. I still play records and CDs like crazy but even The Beatles' 1+ compilations really took a conscious effort for me to watch. It's all very odd.

lightbulb and GullGutt like this.
  16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I only have a triple lp and several cds I purchased recently that haven't yet listened for the first time. As for the concert DVDs, those're gonna take me some years. I just sold over 60 to palliate the problem.

17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I voted "about an hour" but it would take less time than that because I only purchase things I'm going to listen to, if that makes sense. o_O

I'm currently going through a phase where I've decreased my new purchases by quite a bit by being a lot more selective. I'm on a mission to streamline my collection and reduce it to only those releases and artists that I have continually returned to throughout the years, separating the chaff from the wheat, so to speak. Amazingly I enjoy my collection so much more this way and I've removed about 30% of it into another room, away from my main collection. Most of it is stuff I play once every few years and I like them, but this helps me focus on what I "love" and it's quite satisfying.

Sorry about the long winded post, my therapist had to cancel our appointment today. :laugh:

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It would probably take me a few hours to listen to the handful of target CDs I have just as collectibles. Probably won't be doing that any time soon.

19. Joe Chip

Joe Chip Forum Resident

Now here's a forum topic of particular personal interest (née concern, worry, etc.). I recently considered this and tabulated the following: being currently behind in my listening on the order of roughly 1300 discs, & going by a reasonable daily intake of 3 discs a day translates into approximately 433 days to complete the catch-up phase. Mind you, this doesn't figure in a total cessation of regular purchasing (which negates the whole thing, of course :) ), so further examining the above criteria, I come to the usual conclusion that I'll *never* get caught up. Such is the life of a insatiable music enthusiast, with a library now nearing 30,000 & climbing...

lightbulb and highway chile like this.
  20. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Stopped buying new stuff until I am very familiar with what I already have. This should take until the end of 2016.

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Zero minutes. :)

22. texron

texron Rory On

I answered a few, less than 5, but I didn't include boots. If we are counting those I would die before I finished.

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I chose a few years, less than 5. It's kind of a wake up call, really, considering my age. :yikes::laugh:

24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

7 hours, 27 minutes. Current length of my iTunes "not played yet" playlist. Every few weeks I catch up, but it usually hovers in that general 5-10 hour range.

Surly likes this.
  25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Combined, probably a few weeks. Realistically, a few years. I take time to absorb my music, and by the time I want to find something new, I've already started listening to a new artist further making the backlog larger.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.