Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

My favorite line. I was going to quote it if you had not done so already.

mmars982 likes this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It is two. This last one sure seemed like a penultimate episode to me.

rburly likes this.
  3. This was by far the blackest humor filled episode, yet! I really appreciated it. The first half or so was all pretty much humorous, even if ol' Dodd was getting the business end of it.

SLOW FELLOW

That's what the hangman game spelled, on the inside of the booth.

I, too, wondered why Dodd didn't just kill Peggy, until I realized that Dodd didn't know when Ed was getting back, so he had to incapacitate Peggy, then rig a quick trap for Ed, so that once Ed is out of the way he could really take his time with Peggy. The irony, however, is that Dodd was talking about how sneaky and conniving women are, when Peggy got up and stabbed the hell out of his foot! The snake biting the foot. Isn't that a biblical reference?

Do you think that Dodd had been paralyzed from the waist down, after that hit from Peggy? He said he couldn't feel his legs, and they certainly weren't working, anymore. Perhaps that's another reason that Hanzee took him out. You don't let a crippled dog suffer.

4. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Fantastic episode.

Anyone else feel a Billy Jack flashback at that bar scene? (Indian Vietnam vet retaliates against locals racism..."I just explode")
    Then to top it off with the irony of Hanzee giving the bar bigots a "wounded knee". :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Man the cinematography and direction of this series is excellent.

LEONPROFF, tcj, Trixie Jones and 4 others like this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Nice, I didn't even catch that.

As for Hanzee's loyalty, it sure seemed earlier in the season that he was more loyal to Dodd than the Gerhardt family as a whole. He gave the story about the butcher (being a paid agent of the Kansas City mob) that backed Dodd's case for war. Bear suspected this, remember, and tried to get Hanzee to admit it as it was going to take their whole family into a fight they likely can't win.

I thought Hanzee just snapped when he killed Dodd. He was sick of being looked at the way everyone looks at him. Isn't that why he wanted a haircut?

notesofachord likes this.
  7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I thought he wanted a haircut so he'd look less like he did in what I'm guessing is his mug shot.

8. agentalbert

Also a good reason. But the way he was talking to Peggy made it sound like there was more to it. Maybe we'll find out.

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Dang, we didn't find out what the runes were in Hank's house. They looked sort of like astrological or even alchemical symbols.

LEONPROFF and Trixie Jones like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Was there a UFO reference in this one?

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I wait for the Blu rays these days, and the internet buzz sounds like I'll be picking this one up too.

12. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Episode 8 was just simply riveting, from start to finish.

Mike Milligan with red brain matter dripping from his hands, at the end of his phone conversation with Ed
    "The Butcher of Laverne? I have heard of you and let me say I like your style."
    That's praise indeed.

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Any guesses if Heather Dunbar from House of Cards is still alive or not :D

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Actually reminded me much more of Miller's Crossing

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  15. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

I burst out laughing myself, I think I love that woman! ;^)

LEONPROFF and Vinyl Addict like this.
  16. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Did you notice that they also appeared above the bar? The one with the "Here Were Hanged 22 Sioux Indians" sign. (Which makes at least three hanging references in the episode.)

trem two and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

My favorite Ed line was when he told Dodd, "Ahh, zip your lips."

Ed is a great character. So different from Jerry Lundegaard or Lester Nygaard, though he's more or less the character equivalent. He's really tough and cool in his way.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    LEONPROFF and mmars982 like this.
  18. agentalbert

Is that the hair salon owner who was obviously planning on some serious "self-actualization" for Peggy? If Hanzee has a heart, he may have left her tied up in her room, but I imagine he killed her.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't know about that. She didn't do anything to him and in fact tried really hard to do his bitting over the phone (to the point of being annoying). Given that he had more cause to kill the rednecks from the bar and he didn't, means it's more likely that he let her live. However, I don't think we'll ever find out.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Personally I think she's gone. I think he learned to enjoy getting someone to do your bidding under duress and then eliminate them. And I think that was his plan for Peggy and Ed as well, after a haircut and perhaps a few other tasks. I could be wrong, but he killed Dodd. . . he seemed prone to eliminating witnesses and those in his way.

21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Yes. That's what I was referring to. :)

22. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Here's my theory - Hanzee's encounter with Peggy's coworker at the hotel set him on a path toward "actualization" which is why he decided to eliminate Dodd, who treated him like dirt, and also why he wanted a "professional" haircut. I don't know why he didn't have Peggy's coworker give him the haircut, but I predict a revealing flashback coming. I don't think she's dead.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I doubt it. She's not important enough of a character to deserve a flashback, especially this close to the finale.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Sorry missed your post.

EddieMann likes this.
  25. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

A few movie call-backs in this one-"we're going crazy up there by the lake"; and Peggy slapping the TV with her "hostage" sitting right there. Even the cabin itself looks eerily like the one from the movie. And I can't recall any series of any kind where two consecutive episodes cover different events happening at the same time. I didn't realize it until we saw Mike Milligan answer the phone call from Ed at the end of the episode (those events involving Milligan were depicted on the previous week's episode).

Rufus McDufus and Vinyl Addict like this.