Queen "A Night At The Odeon '75" in November 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cmi, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

I agree the cover is not good - it looks a little better as a CD cover (I'm not actually defending it though) - the bonus tracks from the Budokan are just extracted from a film about the Japanese tour - which you can see in full on the Japanese edition of the Days Of Our Lives documentary - which might mean that is all they have - though I think they sound a bit better here.

I think the Hyde Park concert only featured a few more ANATO songs - Sweet Lady we already have (in mono), You're My Best Friend, '39 and The Prophet's Song - which goes wrong. I don't think they'll put it out - I'd love to see 1977 Earls Court concerts get a release though - they played Doin' Alright!

2. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

you mean the missing delay?

that was only on the video. the audience recording does not have that problem. neither do official excerpts.

supernaut likes this.
  3. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

the problem with the delay did actually happen though?

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yeah, I could never figure that out, what were the engineers thinking ?

5. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Wow, that sound-check version of 'Now I'm Here' is something else! Very nicely recorded too with some refreshing vocal variations and it's interesting to hear the chatter at the beginning and end. It would have been nice if they could have squeezed a couple of tracks from the sound-check on the B-Side of the 12".

Mark Wilson likes this.
  6. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Or, alternatively, shove the sound check in as a bonus disc to the main release as a USP and bit of bait to draw in the disaffected........ TOOOOOO much effort....

Zephead2112 likes this.
  7. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

the audience recording doesn't have that problem AT ALL. It also made me reevaluate the show (it's a very good one, Fred seems to have a bit of a cold but is in otherwise great condition for this time period).

8. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I just wanted to start by saying that after all these years and having attended more gigs than I can remember, delivered by some of the finest musicians in the world, Queen is still the band that sits at the top of my list as a live act. Because of my age, I came to the party a little late but I'm still lucky enough to have seen Queen with FM half a dozen times; a mind blowing live act!

My SD ANATO arrived today and tonight I decided to watch the BD. I must admit that Hammy '75 has never been one of my favourite gigs but what a treat it has been to re-live this performance. As an (amateur) vocalist myself, watching FM weave his way around those numbers and battle against the elements was an absolute joy. This is difficult stuff to project! Queen's performance is a lot more accomplished that I had remembered from my memories of watching/listening to all of the broadcasts and bootlegs. Yes, I realise that an amount of trickery has been applied but the overall delivery is as it was in 1975. Simply magnificent!

There has been a lot of bitching and moaning about this release but personally, I am extremely happy to have this box sit next to the 'Rainbow' set and I hope that both hard-core and the more casual Queen fans out there get behind it and lay a nice smooth path for further historical live releases. I'm salivating at the prospect of Hammersmith '79, should it happen or not!

Over and out.

9. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I'm very familiar with this show,bought a cd boot 25 years ago and have the Pittrek dvd.
    I think is a terrific show,the playing is as good as ever,See What A Fool I've Been is worth the price of admission IMO.
    I haven't bought the new dvd but it sounds like it's not very good.
    Will stay on the fence for the time being.:shrug:

10. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

My vinyl order on Amazon.ca has been pushed back to December 18 for whatever reason...

11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Super deluxe unboxing:

Sondek and ruben lopez like this.
  12. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Who is this *****?

I watched but turned the volume off!

13. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

His name is Darren Lock and he does "unboxings" on youtube for heaps of stuff.
    Absolute pain to listen to but does a good job showing the goods.

ruben lopez likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I found the CD/DVD edition at good price (Argentine edition) and bought it. What the heck is going on with the bass drum? My bootleg recording sounds way better and it breaths with space for each instrument. Gee, what a way to ruin a good show. I hope the video looks good, at least.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

So what is the deal with the lack of CD options? Why would the band/Universal bypass a traditional CD option for major markets?

16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Its much worse now because they are tickering with the sound by 'Electronic/Digital' means for example Autotune, at least in the old days at the very worst the band may re-record some parts in the studio, now it is so dishonest what they do it makes it blatantly obvious and kills any enjoyment of a live experience for me :(

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Are you sure it goes wrong ?? For years I have always thought it was meant to sound like that, the speeded up tape etc ?

18. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I've seen a regular CD edition on Amazon and in stores.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The only Amazon listings I saw for the CD configuration were pricey imports.

20. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  21. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I've seen the CD in 2 local Best Buys.

Mark

22. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Purple Jim and scobb like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Nice review.

"The sound quality is more subject to debate. I don't like the overall mix. Poor John Deacon is totally buried in a mix and often impossible to hear. it's quite funny (or sad) to hear Brian and Roger talking about how locked the drums ans the bass were during Queen shows, when this release features a bass payer totally muted by a clearly overmixed bass drum. Seriously, has anyone at Queen prod listened to the show and couldn't hear how ridiculously LOUD this bass drum is?"

I couldn't agree more.

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  24. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Hey, thank you :tiphat:

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Very nice review indeed! Although it seems you have to be a guitar player to appreciate the glory of Brian's guitar solo spot. The Live Killers version is still the best, of course.

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.