Prince removed his music from all streaming services except for Tidal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Untrue. He doesn't have to rely on Purple Rain/Sign o' the Times material to sell concert tickets.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Yeah he does. Especially when he also shies away from the "Dirty Prince" lyrics.

If fans knew going in his core catalog was off the table they would have different ticket buying habits.

3. JohnnyQuest

No. He'd still sell out Madison Square Garden.

longaway and melstapler like this.
  4. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Ah, isn't it comforting to know that, even now, the labels are finding new ways to screw the artists.
    Maybe that's why Prince took his stuff off the streaming services. And maybe simmering resentment about record labels is the reason we don't get the Purple Rain deluxe etc.
    Having said that, he really could use some advice about getting his music - new and old - out to people.
    Somebody said his methods will alienate the youngsters. So what, he's been doing it to the rest of us since the '90s :)

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

He gave away an album with copies of the Mail on Sunday, probably earning himself more than he would via conventional sales. The fact that there's this thread dedicated to him is proof positive that his actions are not so dumb. So he becomes a cult figure, is that so bad?

6. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Seems like a bad business decision to me........

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Since he's also a businessman, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Prince has already devised a plan which would be more hands-on in ways which could benefit himself and his fans. I understand why many artists feel the need to be so protective of their catalogs, but Prince hasn't been offering much in the way of a substitution. If you're going to remove music from streaming, then offer some multi-format releases through your own label or make a mutually beneficial deal with a very specialized label capable of tackling such projects.

8. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

First off, just because he made music for a few decades doesn't mean he enjoyed popularity that whole time. He rose to fame fairly quickly once his name got out there, then pretty much faded into the distance.
    It didn't take long at all for his CDs to start ending up in the dollar bin in the used section.

9. JohnnyQuest

Dude, his albums were going platinum well into the 90's. If that's not a sign of popularity and success Idk what is.

longaway likes this.
  10. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

In the 80s and 90s,. rereleases of disco albums could have gone platinum. CDs were still a relatively new thing and people were buying anything that hit the shelves.
    And again, we are talking a 10 year span...
    I seen Prince perform before he had a hit record, that was in 1983 or 84 I think.

11. JohnnyQuest

Before he had a hit record? 1983 / 1984? :laugh: His first "hit record" was in 1979.

12. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

yeah, the whole generation who thinks they don't have pay for music.
    what's the harm in losing them?

Billy Infinity and ganma like this.
  13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

When I seen him, the MC came out and raved about how "this young fellow is going to be the next thing" and went on and on about it.
    He came out in blue jeans and a plain shirt and played guitar and put on what was very much a Hendrix style show. Danced around the stage a lot and played. Again, that was in the 80s. I specifically remember the event ( and the chick I was with).
    Apparently the MC had no clue he was already a massive star either.

Nor did the people in the club where he was opening act, If I remember right it was for the John Kay Band / New Steppenwolf or whatever he was calling it.

melstapler likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

Worldwide this is true, but by 1986 the US got very selective with which Prince albums went Platinum and which stayed Gold.

15. SoundAdvice

If his music is not on youtube, TV, films, radio, samples and his concerts are only advertised for a week, are younger fans supposed to simply blind buy his albums on compact disc?

16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

To preserve his legacy? Sorry to tell you, dude, but you, me... all the Prince fans from the 80s or 90s, we're not immortal. If children today don't know who Prince is (or why we hold him in such high regard) or don't care much about him because his work is so (relatively) hard to find, his legacy becomes very problematic.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  17. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

If Prince played the concert game the way everyone else does, he'd be in Eagles / Fleetwood Mac territory attendance-wise.

Instead, he kind of blows it by announcing his shows very close to the date, not doing full tours, and playing very unpredictable sets.

Kind of respect him for doing his own thing, but I wish he'd polish his act and create a truly great, consistent stage show. So much of the time he just phones it in. (Example - his "sampler set" where he just plays pre-recorded stuff and sings along to it.)

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what year was that? even in 1980 on the dirty mind tour he was never dressed like that. if prince was ever dressed like that on stage it was the late 70's. there is plenty of footage on youtube of his 1980 tour and he wasn't dressed anything like that. he was already in outrageous stage attire

redsock and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

i get what your saying, but musicians want to get paid just like everyone else.
    ask any musician who is getting paltry checks from spotify if he is more concerned about his income or his legacy.
    i don't care if kids can't find prince music easily for free. if they want to find out more about prince, or anyone else, they should get a job and buy some music.
    didn't mean to rant, just feel strongly that good artists should be able to make a living.

ganma and Thom like this.
  20. SoundAdvice

Even other acts who are similarly miltant about yanking stuff from youtube have left up a few promo videos.

Hard to take Prince seriously about lost income when he's left $500m on the table from missed touring opportunities.

21. JohnnyQuest

Prince has been a multi-millionaire sine the 80's. At this stage of his life, he should be more concerned about his legacy.

melstapler likes this.
  22. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It could have been as early as 1980, I had quit doing the clubs during the 70s and had other things going on in my life, got back out into the scene in 1980.
    But I did indeed see him as an opening act in one of the Agora clubs which existed back then.
    If I remember his shirt was a bit ruffly, but other than that he was dressed quite casually.
    I was quite impressed with his guitar work. Sadly, the crowd was waiting for the opening act and mostly just milling around the club.

23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I can definitely see your point. It's just about finding the balance. The fact is, Prince is entitled to do what he wants (and he always has). Prince's legacy is his own business, and in all honestly, I think fans worry about that sort of stuff more than artists do.

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

remember what songs he played? might have been early 1980 right before the dirty mind tour

25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I doubt the money is an issue with him.
    I suspect it is indeed more about the legacy.
    Look at how the over abundance of music has cheapened it, made it disposable.
    I am thinking it is more about the fact he wants people placing value on his music than he wants to reap that value.
    And he very well could be playing the whipping boy in the best interest of other artists who are not so fortunate as to be able to afford to battle with the masses.
    He seems like a very intelligent conscientious fellow, and very well spoken. I suspect it is more a matter of principle with him.

I didn't even know what they were then. The only thing I remember else is that he didn't have a large band. I don't remember what instruments even, other than the band was very much at the back of the stage and he was well out front. And it also was not a very elaborate stage setup. No props or anything like that. Just him, the band, stage lights, and the smell of mingled tobacco and alcohol abuse in the air.

Matthew Tate and Thom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.