The sound of Nat King Cole's The Magic of Christmas & The Christmas Song ALBUMS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dale 88, Dec 14, 2012.

1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

So, I was at my local and the owner asked if I had Nat Cole's Christmas Story on CD or LP and I said "No" he hands me a Capitol reissue from years ago, and it looks NM. Only charged me $5 for it. I'll have some photos soon. Not sure how it will sound, but figured it was a good place to start for a 5 spot.

Simon A and Kkfan like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

FYI, I picked up a 1996 Capitol "Special Markets" Nat King Cole CD called "Christmas Favorites," on the off chance that it may use different tapes, mixes, etc. (realistically expecting that it would not). As it turns out, it's the 1986 CD, resequenced and abridged to ten tracks. (I see that @dale 88 mentioned this version waaaaaaaaay back on page two. Had I spotted that, I'd have save my $3!)

If it's the yellow or blue label ("SM" or "SMX" series), it probably sounds pretty nice.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Simon A likes this.
  3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Too bad -- but, as you say, to be expected.
    Do we know which mastering the Nordstrom's-exclusive CD uses? I like that track line-up the best, as it's basically the complete "Magic of Christmas" album, including "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," but with "The Christmas Song" tacked onto the front. It sounds passable to me. Not great, by any means, but acceptable.

McLover likes this.
  4. MLutthans

Hmmm....six years later, I just gave this a listen, and it's not bad, but there's something funny/funky with the reverb, like it's delayed reverb a la Columbia Records NYC 1962, but with an extra dose of warm low-end EQ. Subtly weird (IMO).

CBackley, dale 88 and Simon A like this.
  5. DLant

It's a light-ish blue label. I'll take a pic of it next time I play it (soon).

6. MLutthans

@DLant - Should be like this one that @dale 88 posted:
    [​IMG]
    or the one that I posted (color's a little off -- it's blueish, not greenish):
    [​IMG]

Simon A and DLant like this.
  7. DLant

It's the bottom one. It sounded very nice when I played it.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  8. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I have that same pressing of The Christmas Song. Exact same deadwax info.

dale 88 likes this.
  9. MLutthans

It dawned on me just now: The A5 indicates that this was actually using USA-cut lacquers from Capitol/NYC, no?
    R-2143501-1387224335-4021.jpeg.jpg R-2143501-1387224396-2176.jpeg.jpg

10. MLutthans

Tonight, my wife and I finally got around to decorating the Christmas tree that we bought last weekend, and we always play a bunch of Christmas recordings in the background while we work on that. This year, I just grabbed a little crate of Christmas CDs that my wife had stuck in a closet last year, and one of the CDs in that crate was the 1986 CD of The Christmas Song, and as I put that disc into the player, I looked at her and said, "I cannot believe that I bought this CD twenty-nine years ago!" (IIRC, it was over Thanksgiving weekend at Tower Records on Mercer in Seattle.) Seems like yesterday.

Time goes by, don't it?! Unbelievable, sometimes.....

11. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I think the truly astonishing thing as that only marginal improvements have been made on this title in nearly 3 decades.

DLant likes this.
  12. MLutthans

Or five, for that matter.

To me, the missed opportunity was the remix, since this album really needs to be remixed. Yes, a remix of the entire album was released (and is still available), but it caused as many problems as it solved. Ron Furmanek, or somebody of his ilk (and skills and tastes), should have been in the loop on that one.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

True. What I wonder is -- who last saw the original master tapes from 1960? With so many reissues and Capitol's filing system you wonder - did Jay have them in the seventies? Did Norberg have them in 1999?

McLover likes this.
  14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Very true. How many in-house remixes of Cole and Sinatra albums couldn't you say that about?

15. MLutthans

Oh, it's a mixed bag, that's for sure, and not great on the whole. I think, though, that Larry Walsh did some very nice remixes on things like Where Are You, Come Fly with Me, and No One Cares. (Probably to your point: I think that any of the reissue projects that involved remixes could have benefitted from a guiding force, and Ron Furmanek certainly would be my nominee from that timeframe.)

McLover likes this.
  16. MLutthans

This is probably common knowledge, but I had no idea that the cover art for the original release of Nat's Christmas album
    [​IMG]
    was re-used for a "various artists" Capitol Special Markets release in the 1970s:
    R-1519092-1466217069-7783.jpeg.jpg
    o_O

17. MLutthans

[​IMG]
    Nearly 3 years later.....anybody?

18. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I know for certain that I've seen that logo on a cd and immediately thought, "What the...?" It was definitely hand drawn. I don't have the original issue if this cd, so it must have been on another. Can't check them now, unfortunately. I just packed up all my discs a few nights ago as we are in the process of moving. Won't be able to check until sometime in December.

MLutthans likes this.
  19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Our local shop had all their Christmas vinyl out so, like a kid in a candy shop, I started my pile. I grabbed a Bing Crosby album with two of his radio broadcast Christmas specials on it, the popular Perry Como Sings Merry Christmas Music (mono) and The Magic of Christmas (mono). I had no idea it was the same as The Christmas Song of which I already had a blue label reissue. Oh well. Nice to have anyway for $3. Pretty clean too for how old it is. Some problem spots but overall playable. His voice sounds great!

20. Clark V Kauffman

Not quite the same album. You now have Nat's "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" on vinyl!

mahanusafa02 and Simon A like this.
  21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Well then, the $3 was a bargain!!!!

22. Clark V Kauffman

Just compiled a CD-R of all of Nat's available stereo Christmas recordings from the 1960-62 era, using what I think are the best sources... Am I missing anything here?

1. The Christmas Song (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    2. Deck The Halls (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    3. Adeste Fideles (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    4. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (from the "Cole, Christmas & Kids" CD)
    5. O Tannenbaum (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    6. O Little Town Of Bethlehem (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    7. I Saw Three Ships (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    8. O Holy Night (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    9. Hark, The Herald Angels Sing (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    10. A Cradle In Bethlehem (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    11. Away In A Manger (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    12. Joy To The World (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    13. The First Noel (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    14. Caroling, Caroling (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    15. O Come All Ye Faithful (from the "Cole, Christmas & Kids" CD)
    16. Silent Night (from "The Christmas Song" SACD)
    Bonus Tracks:
    17. The Christmas Song (alternate take from "The Extraordinary Nat King Cole")
    18. The Christmas Song (duet with Frank Sinatra, from "Sinatra 80th: All The Best")
    19. The Christmas Song (duet with Natalie Cole, from Natalie's "The Magic Of Christmas")

23. Clark V Kauffman

Got the Seeburg jukebox loaded up with Christmas 45s today, and the display header now features Nat's "Magic Of Christmas."

[​IMG]

McLover, CBackley, MLutthans and 14 others like this.
  24. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Kevin Gray?

25. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

I haven't seen any information on whether he had access to the original master tape from 1960.