Rush - Test for Echo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Jan 4, 2015.

1. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Ranges from 6 to 10, but most tracks are 6 or 7. That surprised me. I may try doing an A/B of the mp3 and see what I hear. But this makes me want the vinyl now. :)

2. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I could easily point fingers at both, but mean the audio production as a whole. The recording, the mix and the mastering are all horrible. If CA sounded close to S&A (not perfect), I would have been much happier.

JulesRules likes this.
  3. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I'm really derailing this thread, but just wanted to report that there is a definite difference in the FLAC and mp3 files from Clockwork Angels. The mp3 master/mix is more up front and there is less space in the recording. The kick drum booms more in the mp3, where the FLAC sounds more natural. You don't notice it as much in the heavier parts, but I chose the title track, which has a good range and it definitely feels like a more open song. The subtleties suggest different masters to me, but there are no details on the HDTracks website as such.

4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Rush opinions... I think Xanadu sounds really tired and worn out and therefore not engaging on ESL. The Hammersmith 1978 version is superior in every regard, IMO. And I don't mind the keyboards on the studio version...

5. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Another opinion: despite the guitars being too low in the mix, Geddy's vocals are way superior on ESL. And the synthesizers aren't so high pitched. Just way better

DiabloG likes this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

REALLY wanted to hear this one live.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

You and me both!

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

In some ways I like those tracks better than the ones that ended up on the album. I'm just glad there is something different (Which is where I suppose I am with Vapor Trails Remixed although I really don't listen to it much because I love the original vibe which kind of gets castrated on the revision.)

Stuart S likes this.
  9. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

As I understand it, Grace Under Pressure was supposed to sound harsh and cold.

905 and warewolf95 like this.
  10. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

If you're looking for consensus, you won't find any. Name ANY Rush album and you'll have some who love it and some who don't.

Tojo, ARK, warewolf95 and 1 other person like this.
  11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

A Farewell To Kings was supposed to sound pastoral. To be honest I don't listen to too much '70's studio Rush these days. (Always prefer the official/unofficial live versions.)

I like Madrigal quite a bit, (It's probably the reason I still reach for the studio album)

My favorite version of Closer To The Heart (There are quite a few now) is the one on Different Stages with that sick otherworldly jam they did at the end of the song on that tour. I'm pretty much sick of Closer To The Heart but this one and the ones on the Grace Under Pressure Tour recording and the Time Machine live album are are slightly less favorites of mine too.

DiabloG likes this.
  12. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Sounds about right, given the album cover.

JulesRules and warewolf95 like this.
  13. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I like the Exit..Stage Left version quite a bit (mostly because of the improvement in musicianship), but I really love the version they did on the Counterparts Tour. The entire arena feels like it's going to lift off of the ground at the beginning. Great stuff!

ModernDayWarrior and DiabloG like this.
  14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

That's one of the great things about Rush! :)

15. warewolf95

For a band that has more than a large handful of awesome album covers, I don't take it lightly when I say that I think the GUP cover is in their top 5.

ModernDayWarrior and Scooter59 like this.
  16. warewolf95

While on the subject of what some like and what others don't, what are five songs, post-'70s, that you would've loved to see played on the R40 tour?

Show Don't Tell - this is one of my absolute favorite songs. That riff is so awesome!
    Cut to the Chase - WHY HAS THIS NEVER BEEN PLAYED?!
    Totem - see above^
    Red Lenses - the full song. Very underrated, imo.
    Second Nature - maybe the most underrated on HYF?

Scooter59 likes this.
  17. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

I'd would have loved to have heard the Fear quadrilogy played straight through:

Freeze
    Enemy Within
    The Weapon
    Witch Hunt

Then toss in Kid Gloves or Red Lenses.....

JulesRules and warewolf95 like this.
  18. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Second Nature would have killed the crowds. Otherwise I don't see any faults with your choices. "Show Don't Tell" sounds odd on DS, so maybe it's just not that suitable for playing live.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I would be one of those "some people". I can do a once-a-year of HYF, but PW is my #1/#2 Rush album ever :)

mmars982 likes this.
  20. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Oh, yeah! The OT. TFE is probably the last Rush album IMO that merits numerous listens of various tracks. There was too long of a break between TFE and VT (not that it's by any means the band's fault), and then the mastering, I didn't get back into Rush proper until Feedback. I still rank it up there over Presto, though!

21. Marcus Almighty

Marcus Almighty Active Member

Greetings. .I'm new to the forum. ..so Hello!! In any case being that Rush is my favorite band it's sometimes difficult to be objective. .but I feel Test 4 Echo is a great album..and a logical album in their discography. If you notice with their prior albums they seem to start on an idea and then the next album perfect the vision of the original idea...for example...Caress of Steel was their be print to a side long concept piece album..2112 perfected the idea...A Farewell to Kings was their entry into UK style prog...Hemispheres perfected it...Permanent Waves their entry into shorter more radio friendly prog rock..Moving Pictures was the home run. ..so when the idea of a more hard hitting return to roots rock album was thought about Counterparts was the blueprint. .but Test 4 Echo was the realization. It's interesting to note that it's one of Geddy ' s favorite albums.

905, JPagan and ytserush like this.
  22. warewolf95

they played show don't tell love through the counterparts tour and it wasa always a highlight to me. surprised it hasnt been revived since.

23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'd have much rather heard something they didn't play rather than Show Don't Tell. It's already been memorialized on the Different Stages CD from the Counterparts Tour.

Totem would have been nice since this is the Test For Echo thread, but there's a ton of songs I'd rather have heard.

warewolf95 and Stuart S like this.
  24. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Ah, T4E...the last great Rush album.

warewolf95 and Stuart S like this.
  25. warewolf95

not vapor trails, or snakes and arrows or the amazing clockwork angels?

thats a rare opinion. always interesting to see what varying thoughts we all have.

why do you thing test is their last great one?