Super Bowl 1 to air on NFL Network this Friday, January 15th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member

It's a shame the right people didn't realize the value of preserving this stuff.

2. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

The '61 game is a CBC kine as well. I've heard there is a complete color tape of SB IV, it's just not surfaced yet.

3. There is a complete tape of the 1962 AFL Championship between the Houston Oilers vs. Dallas Texans in B&W.

I know, I know... off topic, but it's such a shame that there's no film for the 1960 & 1961 AFL Championship games. After all, the Oilers won those first two, and to dovetail into SB I, the Dallas Texans became the KC Chiefs, of course, with the same Lenny Dawson under center...and smoking cigarettes on the sideline. Haha

4. One person did. Anyone interested in vintage football or baseball films should check out Rare Sportsfilms. It's a one-man operation out of Chicago, owned and staffed by Doak Ewing, who does wonderful work restoring old sports highlight films, and some complete games as well. I own several of his baseball DVD's, and they look amazing.
    http://www.raresportsfilms.com/

driverdrummer, AKA and EdgardV like this.
  5. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Max McGee's legendary role in SBI:

Despite reductions in playing time due to injuries and age, Packer's wide receiver Max McGee's final two seasons would be the ones for which his career is best remembered. In the 1966 regular season, McGee caught only four passes for 91 yards and a touchdown as the Packers recorded a 12-2 record and advanced to Super Bowl I against the Kansas City Chiefs.

McGee did not expect to play in the game and he violated his team's curfew policy and spent the night before the Super Bowl "out-on-the-town." The next morning he told starting receiver Boyd Dowler, "I hope you don't get hurt. I'm not in very good shape," alluding to his hangover. Dowler went down with a separated shoulder on the Packers' second drive of the game, and McGee, who had to borrow a teammate's helmet because he had not brought his own out of the locker room, was put into the game. A few plays later, McGee made a one-handed reception of a pass from Bart Starr, took off past Chiefs defender Fred Williamson and ran 37 yards to score the first touchdown in Super Bowl history. This was a repeat of his performance in the NFL championship game two weeks earlier, when he had also caught a touchdown pass after relieving an injured Boyd Dowler. By the end of the game, McGee had recorded seven receptions for 138 yards and two touchdowns, assisting Green Bay to a 35-10 victory.

The following year, he recorded a 35-yard reception in the third quarter of Super Bowl II that set up a touchdown in the Packers 33-14 win over the Oakland Raiders.

Hymie the Robot and wayne66 like this.
  6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

7. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

When I was in the military overseas in 1982, they would send us recent football games..maybe 10 days old. Also some 9 month old tv shows and year old movies (once a week plane flight for supplies). I think tv and football on 3/4" videotape, movies (7 in all, one for each night on film). Ended up with Nastassja Kinski film "Tess" three times over one year.

AKA likes this.
  8. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

For anyone without The NFL Network:

Pretty rough but very cool.

driverdrummer and ky658 like this.
  9. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

the tape of Super Bowl I was recorded by some guy who had access to video equipment at work or something (given it was 1966 - Im assuming he worked at a tv station) - when I heard this had been discovered - sort of gave me hope for other 1960s items turning up - maybe some Johnny Carson episodes....heh

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I wish the NFL network guys would have talked less so we could have heard the play by play.

11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

No sh!t.
    To me this was a waste of time.

Mark E. Moon, AKA and The Hud like this.
  12. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I was duped into thinking they were re-broadcasting the game. The telecast was awful.

Why couldn't they just show us the game as if I was sitting there in 1967 (minus the halftime marching band). They cut out the time between plays and talked over the play-by-play. As a result you had absolutely no feel for the game itself. Terrible. After a few plays I turned it off.

13. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Back in those days you saw the team huddle- that's rare now.

EdgardV likes this.
  14. Agreed. For starters, they had 25% of the screen blocked out so they could show all their "fun facts" while the game was going on. I turned it off before halftime.

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

wayne66, EdgardV and Dan C like this.
  16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Even with a public shaming in the NYT, no sign of softening from the NFL. It's really strange to me what they choose to be d!cks about. Oh well. There are more important things in the world to worry about.

dan c

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think the NFL should offer more than $30,000.00, but a million seems too high as well. I think $100,000 is a fair price--the NFL can afford it.

18. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Can anyone really believe CBS killed the paid interview without any pressure from the NFL front office? I'm with The Hud on this, $100K would have been a very nice payday and
    the NFL would have a warm treasure unearthed story. Instead, they botch it...like about everything else legal that has come before them in the last 10 years. Arbitrary suspensions,
    pseudo-science, hollow promises, shakedowns of cities. Unchecked power corrupts. I love football, but the current league administration has lost it's moral bearings.

Dan C, joemarine and The Hud like this.
  19. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Whats just as amazing is the NFL dirtbags probably spent a few hundred k putting together the fake game wen they probably could have struck a deal for 500k and a few skybox SB 50 thickets thrown in. Even a million would be barely tip money in the NFL budget.

lbangs, PHILLYQ and joemarine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.