Interesting things to listen for in recordings.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thouston, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Hendrix coughs and clears his throat before his vocal entrance on Purple Haze.

2. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

On the SHM-SACD of Paranoid you can hear the record crackle of the sound effects LP they used for the siren.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Going back to Neil Young, there's a noise after the first chorus of "Out on the Weekend" that I always assumed was Neil clunking his harmonica rack against the microphone.

He also coughs at some point in "On the Beach," I think.

And there's the smack!-smack!-smack of someone hitting the metal studio door, overdubbed on to "Hey Hey My My."

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

Rush - Camera Eye...indecipherable chatter (sounds like Geddy's voice) at about the 8:55 mark. Probably been covered before, but I always wonder what's being said.

5. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

There's a New Order song, though I forget which, where you can hear him yelp as his bandmates shove a snowball down his shirt.

Another one where he hocks up phlegm, though I'm not sure anyone wants to go out of their way to hear that.

6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The metronome in "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - The Rolling Stones.

7. joejoe

joejoe Forum Resident

The Beatles Let it Be at about 1:06 in right channel, you can hear whispering. Anyone know what is said?

8. KN65

KN65 Well-Known Member

The only odd noise I've ever been able to hear in The Ocean is a crackling sound that repeats a few times near the end at the tempo change, almost like static-y vinyl. I've heard it on every edition of cd that I've had, but I can't remember if it was present on the old Lp I used to own.

9. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett ...
    Oscar Peterson ...

10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Well since we started on Floyd it may be hard to stop. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast and Grantchester Meadows are lesser known aural treats. I also like hearing the sheep near the beginning of Sheep, especially on headphones.

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

you don't have to listen too hard on some tracks for that one, it nearly ruins at least one song
    an aerosmith song off their first album had a very faint clarinet (or something) sound happening before a song, but you really have to crank it up

12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

At the very end of Beatles Sgt.Peppers' you can hear the creak of a piano stool in the decay of A Day In The Life's final chord.

bagofsoup likes this.
  13. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Pandora's Box / Get Your Wings - a "union engineer" playing I'm In the Mood for Love on a clarinet

14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ahhh! that's it. when I was 15 I thought it was someone from a neighboring studio and the sound bled thru the walls

15. dadonred

Michael Hedges doing some psyche-up tribal grunts before launching into the furious The Rootwitch...

scottp likes this.
  16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

the backwards masqued message at the end of Father Time's Rock For The Sake Of Rock.

17. dadonred

Michael Hedges doing yogic breathing on India (from Road to Return)

18. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Somebody, I would guess Lita Ford, makes a rasberry noise right at the start of "Gotta Get Out Tonight" on The Runaways' third studio album, "Waiting For the Night". Some CD reissues cut it off.

19. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

On the song Blue by Joni Mitchell you can hear her let off the sustain pedal after playing the first chord as soon as she finishes saying "blue..."

I'm also partial to the clam at the beginning of "why can't we be friends" by War. Like the seventh piano chord. Love it!

20. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

There's a quite a few that sound like stray 'talkback' from the producer or engineer's mic - off the top of my head;

1) The Beatles: Chains. Immediately before George sings "I've got to tell you pretty baby..."

2) Hendrix: May This Be Love.
    "Ok Jjjjjjimi" it sounds like to me - leakage picked up through the microphone on a guitar cab, (heavily echoed anyway) as the song fades up on the introductory drum roll.

3) And there's a bit on the From Genesis To Revelation album: I think it's where the tracks Where The Sour Turn To Sweet and In The Beginning segue. I'd check, but I'm listening to an LP right now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.