Looking for Hard Bop suggestions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

You need to hear these:

Horace Silver: Finger Poppin'; The Tokyo Blues; The Cape Verdean Blues; Serenade To A Soul Sister

Art Blakey...: The Big Beat; The Freedom Rider; Mosaic; Free For All

Hank Mobley: Roll Call; No Room For Squares; The Turnaround; Straight No Filter

Jackie McLean: Jackie's Bag; Bluesnik; Jacknife

Donald Byrd: Fuego; The Cat Walk; Royal Flush; Slow Drag

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Katanga - Curtis Amy and Dupree Bolton

3. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

This thread has some of my favorites mentioned. Dumb question follows : There are a bunch of titles I have not heard. How do I refer back to this thread on the forum? Does this post mean it will be in my "watched threads" ?

4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

If you reply to a thread, it usually makes it as "watched" for you.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  5. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

You can also search using Hard Bop

6. drasil

drasil Former Resident

yes. you can also watch a thread without posting to it by clicking the 'watch thread' link beneath and to the right of the bolded title at the top of every page in the thread.

Scopitone likes this.
  7. drasil

drasil Former Resident

giant steps is absolutely a hard bop record. the title cut is literally the textbook definition of a hard bop tune--as in given as an (excellent) example in actual textbooks.

the Miles and Herbie are kinda post-bop flavored modal, I suppose, more so maiden voyage. not sure how the poster thought of out to lunch! though.

J.A.W. likes this.
  8. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Coltrane defies labels!

Scopitone and Henry Please like this.
  9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Art Blakey Moanin'
    Horace Silver Song for my Father
    Lee Morgan The Sidewinder, and
    Hank Mobley Soul Station

seem to me good places to start.

SOONERFAN and Tom H like this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Blue Note stuff is superb but I can't believe the best hard bop group of the era hasn't been mentioned yet, the Clifford Brown/Max Roach band. All the albums they made are classics of the hard bop genre and in Clifford Brown you had the best trumpet player of his generation, who influenced all the Blue Note players like Lee Morgan.

Buy anything with their name on.

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Don't forget Stanley Turrentine.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  12. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Wow! I have got to get this. I have Harold Land's "The Fox" with Boltons' amazing solo on the title track and was unaware of any other recordings of him in his prime period before he "disappeared" for a couple of decades.

Be sure to check out the wealth of great West Coast hard bop recordings. I don't want to use the h-word (hipsters) but ignore any and all New York jazz elitists who look down their nose at West Coast jazz. And actually a great percentage of the edgier NY jazz artists Mingus, Dolphy, Dexter Gordon, Ornette Coleman - all came up on the West Coast!

Hampton Hawes, Harold Land, Shelly Mann and his Men, Barney Kessel, Art Pepper were among the many exceptional West Coast leaders and side-men.
    Pacific Jazz and Contemporary Records were a couple of great labels. Hard to go wrong with most titles on these - just like Blue Note. Contemporary also was known for exceptionally great sound as our host has pointed out on occasion.

ShockControl likes this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I mentioned Brownie on a different Jazz thread, but yeah the Brownie box from Emarcy and the smaller Blue Note/Pacific box is essential Hard Bop listening.

Jim B. likes this.
  14. ShockControl

Oh, I learned that a long time ago! :thumbsup:

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The last 2 posters I quoted are right, and Dolphy's Out to Lunch certainly isn't hard bop.

chervokas likes this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I wouldn't call Out To Lunch Hard Bop either, but it's a good transition album to go from Hard Bop to the later 60s Avant Garde.

17. ShockControl

I would assume that anyone posting a thread about hard bop would already know about Brown/Roach and Blakey.

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Some strange stuff being included in the "hard bop" genre in this thread -- Shape of Jazz to Come? Out to Lunch? Miles Smiles? Great, great albums; some of my all-time faves, but not remotely hard bop records.

How about what many consider if not the progenitor at least the avatar of the style, Miles' Walkin'? Or for that matter all the great Miles '50s stuff -- the four Prestige albums from the famous Van Gelder session: Cookin', Relaxin', Workin', Steamin' -- and Bag's Groove (especially the portion of the 12" album that was originally the Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins 10"), and even In Person at the Blackhawk, which is post-modal, post-KoB Miles, but really is a slamming hard bop session.

And Max Roach-Clifford Brown band albums.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Scopitone and J.A.W. like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'd suggest Outward Bound or the Five Spot albums with Booker Little if someone who knows bop or hard bop wants to start listening to Dolphy.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I hadn't seen that someone had mentioned Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come. If anything is not hard bop, this is it. Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch and Miles Davis' albums with his 1960s Quintet aren't hard bop either, of course. Some people seem to have a strange idea of hard bop.

The Clifford Brown/Max Roach albums are quintessential hard bop, and so are Horace Silver's and Art Blakey's albums and the Miles Davis 1950s ones you mentioned.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

KUJayhawk and J.A.W. like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I would have been reluctant to call Brown/Roach "hard bop," more a great latter-day bop group without the r&b or gospel element that I think is key to hard bop, but certainly everyone should hear them.

Tom H likes this.
  23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I agree. Same goes for Giant Steps. But I tend to think of Miles Davis and John Coltrane as genres unto themselves.

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've recently bought 16 Hard Bop albums all on vinyl.......

Julian "Cannonball" Adderley - Something Else
    Art Blakey & His Jazz Messengers - Caravan
    Art Blakey & His Jazz Messengers - Free For All
    John Coltrane - Blue Trane
    John Coltrane - Giant Steps
    Dexter Gordon - Go!
    Dexter Gordon - Swingin' Affair
    Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris
    Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie
    Hank Mobley - Soul Station
    Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares
    Sonny Rollins - Volume 1
    Sonny Rollins - Volume 2
    Sonny Rollins - Newks Time
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At

I prefer those that concentrate on the Saxophone or Trumpet as the main instrument, I prefer those lead instruments to be effectively taking the place of singer, The Art Blakey albums are not really my thing, there's too much going on that everything just goes over my head, right now I'm looking into buying more John Coltrane albums.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Blakey's Free for All sextet album dates from 1964 and has Wayne Shorter on tenor saxophone, just before he joined Miles' 1960s Quintet. It's a bit more advanced than Blakey's 1950s output, which might be more to your liking, especially the early quintet albums A Night at Birdland Vols.1-2 (1954) with Clifford Brown (trumpet) and Lou Donaldson (alto saxophone) and At the Cafe Bohemia Vols.1-2 (1955) with Kenny Dorham (trumpet) and Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.