Crazy Mcintosh itch to scratch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hanfrac, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanfrac

hanfrac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been in the hobby for 2-3 years. I thought I had reached a good end point and could stop trying to improve my sound by constantly getting new gear and comparing it to what I had. I've been good for a few months, but I'm finding myself obsessing about trying Mcintosh.

My current setup is:
    - Preamp - Bryston 11b (and I have an Aikido tube preamp as backup)
    - Amp - Belles 400 - 200wpc at 8 ohms, 400 wpc at 4, refreshed recently
    - Turntable - Thorens TD-316 with Grado 8MZ (Shure V15iii with Jico SAS as backup)
    - Phono stage - using Bryston, but also have Clearaudio Nano
    - DAC - PS Audio DLiii
    - Speakers - Klipsch Fortes with Crites mods
    - Backup - Sony TA-1120F being refurbished

If I get something like a Mcintosh 4100 receiver or MA6100/MA6200 integrated, should I have any realistic expectation that things could improve off the Bryston/Belles or Aikido/Belles? I feel like I need someone to slap me and tell me to stop being silly.

2. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

McIntosh has a sound that is unlike anything else I have ever heard. Many people don't like it but I do.

I'd expect that you'd hear a significant difference between one of their integrated amps and your Bryston / Belles combo but only you would be able to call it "better".

Do you have a local dealer where you could compare them directly? Or perhaps a friend who owns a Mac amp that you could try out?

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Try some vintage McIntosh to get your appetite wet.

4. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I have but one piece of McIntosh gear- a tuner- and I'm enjoying it greatly.

I urge the OP to listen to Mac gear and decide if it is an improvement of just a change.

Long Live Analog and Mr Bass like this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Extremely happy MA 6600 int. amp owner here. Mc amps are not as revealing as some other amps in it's price range, closer to a tube sound, IMO. More of an all day listening amp. I like to feed mine with carts/phono pre's that lean to the revealing/detailed side. I find that combo to work very well.

nwdavis1 likes this.
  6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I too scratched my Mac itch with a new MA6600 4 years ago and could not be happier. Added a D100 DAC last year as well.
    Solid well built great sounding and reliable stuff. Worth the $$$, IMHO.

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

Ditto!!! Awesome amp, sweet sounding and in the price point ballpark as it's competitors.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Go for the MA6200. You can thank me later.

JorgeGvb and Simon A like this.
  9. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

What is you budget?

If looking to stay around the $1K mark, I would recommend either the MAC4100 or MA6200. Either is newer generation than the MA6100 with a number of technical refinements and additional features including Power Guard, 5 band EQ and CVar loudness. MAC4100 has the additional refinement of FET controlled switching for the phono inputs which the MA6200 lacks. This helps to prevent noise in the phono section due to mechanical contacts in the switch becoming dirty/corroded over time. Either can run up to 3 pairs of speakers simultaneously which is rare in an integrated amplifier; unheard of in a receiver.

The MAC4100 is basically the MA6200 + MR 75 tuner which makes it (the MAC) the better bargain in my book since it sells for similar money as the MA6200. Buyers evidently agreed as the MAC4100 was McIntosh's all time best seller.

The fact that McIntosh has some of the best resale values among consumer electronics should bear some evidence of its build quality, attention to detail and outstanding performance characteristics.

HTH and good luck.

SandAndGlass and McLover like this.
  10. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

How would you describe it compared to other gear?

11. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

To me it seems smooth and warm, possibly not at detailed and accurate as others I've heard in their price range.
    I'm talking only about their solid state gear. I've not heard the tube stuff enough to say anything about it.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For your Klipsch Fortes I highly recommend the MA 5100 or the MC 2505 with a C28 or MX 113 or MX 114.

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Love my mc2505. It's hard to describe. Id say it's detailed yet liquidy smooth. I don't think I could make it sound bad if I tried. Crank it and it just gets better and better.

14. Slick Willie

Yep...so liquid,,,so sweet....all day amps!!!

MrRom92 likes this.
  15. silversport

silversport Forum Resident

really enjoying my recently re-acquired MA 6200...loving it and Klipsch Quartets...it was not a love connection when I first owned it but for some reason, now I'm really digging it's sound...

Bill

16. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

I am from UK & although hearing about McIntosh I never actually heard their equipment until 10 years ago at a Heathrow show. Admittedly I thought their gear looked a bit bling (the UK Hifi press were very into the minimalist thing which did sadly influence me) What I heard stopped me dead in my tracks . I have no idea what I heard but it was phenomenal .

I heard it a further 3 occasions but sadly the last time was marred by poor room set up . The other 2 occasions was just the sound I was looking for . Big, expansive, powerful , immediate but an overall smoothness. Its got a dark sound which I find additicve. Other systems may have so called accuracy & detail but in reality not much fun for long term listening. McIntosh is not Audiophile anaylsis but music making joyfulness.

I purchased a McIntosh C32 Pre Amp 2nd hand .2 years ago & it's the best thing I ever bought in HiFi.

Because of it's age (38 years old) I have experienced one or problems (one repair bill) but I don't care I love it.

It's a shame the brand it's not that popular in the UK as far as obtaining gear & backup but it's a pleasure to own.

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I started my Mac Attack with an MA6500 integrated, liked it so much I went to an MC275/C2300 combo. Never looked back.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I got an iPad and a Mac Mini. :D

Thermionic Dude likes this.
  19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I own a refurbished C29 preamp and MC2105 amp purchased from a well known online dealer of used McIntosh gear located in Knoxville. I've owned many different makes of audio equipment over the past 44 years, solid state and tube, but I love this McIntosh. Sounds great at any volume, smooth yet detailed. Looks great too.

20. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Once you go McIntosh you'll never go back. I've had other systems but always go back to the sound I love, McIntosh:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.