Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Looks like 3/4 inch plywood to me. Nice idea. I would consider putting one more piece of plywood in the center of the bottom shelf if you plan on stacking them. It would probably be alright, but the carpenter in me would do that if I built them. The color looks real nice though. i dig it.

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Nice system, LiteJazz53.

This evening, after 24 hours of being fully powered up, I gave the JC 3+ an initial run through its paces. I played three LPs: Dire Straits/Love Over Gold (180 gram mastered by Bernie Grundman), ZZ Top/Tres Hombres (180 gram mastered by our host) and Joni Mitchell/Ladies Of The Canyon (180 gram). The first thing I noticed was the improved dynamics. This phono pre has it in spades, and it definitely tops my previous unit--a PS Audio GCPH. Drums, percussion and acoustic guitars had more pop. And that pop came fast too. This is not a slow phono pre.

I'm also pleased with the virtually non existent noise level and the excellent low level resolution. Another definite improvement on the GCPH. Little previously obscured details way back in the various mixes were no longer hidden. Reverb tails, certain percussive elements, and vocal inflections attained a new reality.

The treble was more refined through the JC 3+. I could hear more of the individual character of each cymbal, and the attack was clean--unhampered. I heard none of the top end roll off some reviewers have mentioned.

The low frequencies were reproduced honestly with no overhang or sloppiness. Even-handed and agile is the best description of the bass performance.

Finally, the soundstage was a bit wider and deeper--though not to a large degree. I'd probably have to go with a tube-based phono pre to get more of this.

Regarding the PS Audio GCPH, though it seems I've come down hard on it in my comparison with the JC 3+ it's actually a fine phono pre--particularly at its price level. And given that I had bought mine used for half that retail price level the performance per dollar ratio was excellent indeed. Still, in my opinion the Parasound JC 3+ is a real step up performance-wise. Of course, at three times the price it should be.

So, I'm pleased with my purchase. And given that the unit is nowhere near broken in yet I look forward to my upcoming listening sessions and what they'll reveal. I don't see me moving beyond the JC 3+. I'm primarily a digital guy, so I think I've made my final stop vis a vis phono preamps.

Long Live Analog and Litejazz53 like this.
  3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Yeah, you have, Tony Sheridan's band.

4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

The engineer in me says you are probably correct, I suppose I was counting on all the weight remaining very vertical, and I was not planning on going over three high, but you made a very good point. If I were going 4 or 5 high or higher, it would be crazy not to have at least two cross braces on the back of those cabinets! I set a small clock, as you see in the pictures, on top and moved it, and it had made a wrinkle in the finish, which was unexpected! Who really knows how long it takes for the clear coat to completely and totally cure and get rock hard? You made a good point about the horizontal stability factor, thanks for that input. :cop:

5. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

But if it doesn't bow than it's alright. I guess there are two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood on top of each other. I live in the heavy snow country and most people roofs have 2 ft on center rafters and 3/4" plywood holding their snowloads all winter so i don't see why yours can't hold some records. You'll know if it bows. This is my favorite thread in this whole forum. Keep the pics coming.

6. Lukesky

Lukesky Forum Resident

7. Lukesky

Lukesky Forum Resident

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

All the woods are a very close match, the classic turntable, the speakers and that beautiful cabinet, very very nice, and that view, so cool! :righton:

alan967tiger and Lukesky like this.
  9. james

james Summon The Queen

Nice. What's the little phono stage(?) next to the turntable.

(fellow BPB fan, but who isn't)

matt79rome89 likes this.
  10. Lukesky

Lukesky Forum Resident

james likes this.
  11. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

That is just absolutely beautiful. The room, the equipment, the view!

Madlove, alan967tiger and Lukesky like this.
  12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

13. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Lovely!

14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Some of the gear in the mix for review/comparison coming soon at PTA ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

cool and clean, bet it sounds great too. speakers? (your profile is blank)

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nice finish on that turntable

Johnny Vinyl and raferx like this.
  17. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Very nice photos!

raferx likes this.
  18. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

I don't believe I've ever seen the tonearm on the red Paris before. What is it? THANKS.
    -Bob

19. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Those are Devore nines.

20. Nice sunset.

alan967tiger and hi_watt like this.
  21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Definitely hi-end.

hi_watt likes this.
  22. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

It's incredibly well built.

Ron P. and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  23. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

It's the Abis SA-1.2

24. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

The Kiseki Purpleheart is going to be my next cartridge whenever that time comes :) Love it to bits! What a sound...the sound that I felt analog was supposed to sound like before I knew what analog sound even was ;)

raferx likes this.
  25. Yep! I have one...in Black however.

Are you writing the review?