Technics SL-M3 Turntable Opportunity

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by navydiver, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navydiver

navydiver Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Sooooo, I have an opportunity to buy a Prsitine Technics SL-M3 for $650 Canadian from a close friend who bought it in Europe when he worked (part time) at the military PX (Canadian Forces Base Baden Soellingen in the mid eighties - I too lived there before that 76 - 80). Comes with a low hours AT cart installed plus an extra full cart that was never used (got it as a spare). The TT spent the better part of 15 years stored in a box (well packed) after he went completley digital not long after returning home from his tour overseas. He also has over 150 very good condition albums, many of which are double pressings and collectable editions plus complete record cleaning kit with antistatic gun and record cleaner plus D4 solution that he will throw in for $150 extra. Good deal? This thing looks immaculate as he is a finicky owner (you should see his Nakamichi system with two mono-block PA-7 amps and CA-7 with B&W 801 - wow! Thoughts? If I do get it I would consider a trade for a newer Pioneer PLX-1000 or extremely good shape SL-1200... (as I am a DJ/VJ on the side who wants to dabble) so am not hung up on keeping this unit which I understand is extremely rare and built as well as it SL-1200 pro brother...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    artfromtex likes this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Don't buy it to trade for anything, buy it to enjoy the quality playback it will give you. I have one, purchased in 1984 for $499, new. If it is pristine, that is a good price as they are very rare (there were not many exported from Japan to North America.) These sound great and have dead accurate speed. My buddies who have turntables that cost as much as a down payment on a house constantly marvel at how great this sounds (and tracks records their TT's can't.):hide:

I would say go for it. Just make sure to verify that all the switches are working and there is no wonkiness (real word?) with the linear tracking tonearm assembly. The lube is known to get sticky after a few decades which causes issues with tracking. And as far as it being Pmount - that should not be a deal-breaker. I have the lowly (and still current production) Shure M92E with Jico SAS stylus and for about $160 combined it sounds fabulous.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

morris_minor and artfromtex like this.
  3. navydiver

All I can say is Wow regarding my new baby!

4. navydiver

johnny q likes this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I flippin' told ya:righton:

6. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

What a perfect compliment to a terrific setup you already have. Enjoy:righton:

7. navydiver

Heh - York, PA - I have actually been there numerous times. I was on military exchange at NAVEODTECHDIV Indian Head, Maryland as a Royal Canadian Navy Diver where I project managed a Fly Away Dive Locker from Gichner Shelter Systems in town there for US EOD units. Made the drive countless times! Great town - Harley Factory and York Fitness Eqt factories there if I recall correctly (when I was EOD school a few years earlier we did a tour of the Harley factory ;-)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    NewKidInTown likes this.
  8. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Wow, small, small world! I live about 10 minutes from Gichner, and the Harley I drive came from our York Factory! Glad you got your TT... sounds like you really did get a fair deal on it. :cheers:

9. navydiver

I actually ended up not buying it but am flogging it for my buddy. Decided that there was a reason I gave up vinyl many years ago. Was finding it too time consuming and finnicky....

10. navydiver

Here is the vid

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

12. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

How I'd love to get hold of an M3! I've an SL7 and much tricked-out QL1 that sound terrific. The QL1 hold its own with a Sony PS-X600 Biotracer and Kenwood KD7010. If you're after a better P-mount cart find an Ortofon OMP10 and put a 40 stylus on it. Also LPGear's Shibata-tipped AT is a great sounding cart . .

13. navydiver

This one is up for grabs and it is a dual voltage version originally bought in Germany. Will post on market place.

14. navydiver

Insufficient privileges to post on M.P. - search on Canuck Audio Mart

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  15. morris_minor

I'd really like to buy this from you - but the shipping costs Canada>UK are prohibitive: UPS's cheapest rate seems to be CAD $434. Such a pity because it looks in pristine condition, and from your video obviously works fine . . .:sigh:

16. navydiver

Yeah, I did a Canada Parcel Post calculator for Surface Parcel and it came in at roughly $206 Canadian

17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have been wanting to upgrade my OMP10 to a "40" stylus for some time now. However, it is not overly clear if the 40 stylus is truly compatable. Yes, the stylus will physically install into the OMP body, but is it truly T4p compliant? In other words, is it the exact same stylus that was installed on the OMP40?

What is concerning me is this "blurb" from an online reseller:

"While this top of the line Ortofon stylus 40 can be used in any Ortofon SUPER OM, OM, OMP, OMB or TM series cartridge, its use in any Ortofon cartridge NOT specifically marked "SUPER" on the cartridge body will result in a slight loss of potential performance. Ortofon cartridges marked "SUPER" are built to a higher internal performance standard than Ortofon OM, OMP, OMB or TM series cartridges which do not have the word "SUPER" on the cartridge body."

JQ

18. morris_minor

The stylus on my OMP40 just says "40" on the side. Whether or not this is actually T4P compliant, it doesn't sound too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.