Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2015-2016 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very meh episode last night. Not horrible, but not that good either. As far as hosts from the world of sports go though, this Ronda Whatshername didn't acquit herself too badly.

Also. Memo to Selena Gomez: Girl, you can't sing. Be seen, don't be heard.

Deano6 and OldSoul like this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I liked this episode more than last week's, but it was still pretty boring. Ditto on Selena Gomez.

3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Selena Gomez performance was the funniest bit of the night.

ex_mixer and OldSoul like this.
  4. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Ronda Rousey?

[​IMG]

MekkaGodzilla and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Saw just the opener and a little bit after that, but the skit spoofing the Oscars gave me a chuckle. 'White Guy With a Camera' nominated was pretty good.

6. That wasn't bad, and I also got a kick out of Leslie Jones' DiCaprio sex hysteria on Weekend Update. It's a pretty one-note bit, but she hits it with gusto.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  7. modrevolve

A ham sandwich wouldn't work..Like myself, Leo is a vegetarian :shh:

8. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Not really surprised as much as disappointed. I hadn't seen him play on tv (or live) in a long time. As he was playing material from The River (the last tour I saw of his), I expected it to sound something like The River. Instead it sounded to me like something else entirely - a lot less like a rock band than whatever it is they were channeling.

9. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I watched that SNL episode. My impression of the E Street Band's two performances was that they were channeling the Grand Finale of any given "______ Aid" concert.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think Selena Gomez can sing. But instead talks sexily with a mike. Not the worst thing in the world! She sure looks purdy. Wasn't much of an episode imo. Okay, but just okay.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Maybe she CAN sing, but she didn't. She does look nice. Those performances with the stage production seemed so serious. She's no Madonna, just another pretty pop-tart.

Ronda did okay. At least we know she can read. ;) The best bit was the Bachelor spoof "Mr. Bland". And Keenan's "Willie" character that appears on WU always cracks me up. I also liked the city council meeting sketch. They must have been short on ideas, replaying the pre-recorded "Settle" commercial.

12. Lonson

I like Selena Gomez much more than Madonna, so I'm glad she's no Madonna. (Just never have been a fan). I think she CHOSE not to sing so to speak. She's making a comeback, trying not to be cast as the teeny bop throb she was before, and it seems to be working, she got on SNL. :)

I'm not arguing here really, I too would have preferred her to really sing, but this wasn't geared at or for us, and the target seems to be receiving this fine (I've seen a number of her appearances on the Today show etc. recently, my fiancee watches these).

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is she getting good reviews? I'm certainly not in touch with who she's targeting musically. I do agree she didn't seem to really be trying to sing during her two numbers, but during the opening bit where she came in to sing, it did sound like she was trying. She's not tone deaf and I've heard worse, but I didn't think she sounded very good. By contrast, when Demi Lovato was on not that long ago, I didn't care for her music either, but it did sound to me like she had a good voice and COULD do something I would like. They're both much more fun to look at than listen to, imo.

14. Lonson

She's selling I believe, which is more important in the pop world than good reviews. And personally I'd rather hear the sexy whisper than the melismatic manic singing I've seen from Lovato. Different way to reach the pop people I guess. I agree that they are both more fun to steal looks at than to want to listen to. But I'm a jazz nut.

15. Already I think this may be the best episode of the calendar year.

Deano6, Jrr and sparkydog like this.
  16. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

This will actually the best show to beat for 2016.

sparkydog likes this.
  17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I'm starting to think you guys just like the episodes when you like the host. This episode wasn't all that hot. It was good, though.

anthontherun and Lonson like this.
  18. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

In this case the host seemed to bring out the best in everyone. I wish he was a regular/producer/writer.

19. Yeah, I also thought this was a better than average episode - maybe having an old comic hand like David on board encouraged the writers to be a bit more freewheeling than usual. This bitch got his donut.

Jrr likes this.
  20. modrevolve

My favorite episode in quite some time. Literally had tears in my eyes when Jay Pharoah apperared as Leon.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

What....that wasn't JB Smoove?!

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thought it was a good episode. Liked the second song by the 1975, but seriously, that singer is impossible to watch, completely turned me off of them.

23. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Only LOL I had was for the last sketch of the night. Otherwise it was just ok. Having expected to see David's Bernie impression as well as Bernie being on it, neither was a surprise.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the clip I saw tonight from Saturday's show with Larry David was hysterical...

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have to see the whole thing...I love Larry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.