Are you experienced (US Version) How do the reissues compare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ellis943, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There are several matrices listed there, I guess "XBLY 820 143" is the first mastering? And "BAR 820143" is the preferred second mastering, which I guess is the one you have then, right? I see both A1/B1 nd A2/B2 listed for that, but I guess they are similar. The one I have has the rather more longwinded "BAR XXXXX A DU1 CIDIS / BAR 805 81 B CIDIS DA".

2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

BAR820143 A2 B2 is what I have, I got it for £40 it is seriously mint condition. I can tell you That when that bad boy cropped up on discogs I could not buy it quick enough. I previously had the mp3 file from the Prof I used always play all the time. After I got the LP I upgraded to his FLAC file too which has all mono singles as well, EXP HENDRIX should officially release his mix On CD in my opinion.

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Old tapes now, modern equipment....probably would not be improved upon.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why not?

5. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I provided a comparison on AYE mono pressings here:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jimi-hendrix-are-you-experienced.418685/page-4#post-13318174

The Barclay pressing I mention in the thread is BAR 820143. I rate this as the best mono AYE I have heard to date (although I have not heard either of the recent US or UK vinyl reissues because the consensus I've read is that they're not very good).

Tuck1977 and lukpac like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Don't want to turn this thread in that direction. Just compare most any reissue to a top tier original. This is far as I go on this subject, in this thread.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Depends on the original. Especially when the original isn't "top tier".

8. Slick Willie

That doesn't make sense to me, a top tier is the better of what was presented.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What doesn't make sense? Many original issues aren't, to use your terms, "top tier".

10. Slick Willie

Top tier is the best that was offered, not whether you (or I) like it or not.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Then I totally disagree with your statement. If a "top tier" original is objectively less than stellar, and it's known to be that way for a reason that can be rectified (poor source tapes, questionable EQ choices, etc), then there's no reason to believe a properly produced reissue couldn't be superior.

12. Slick Willie

I disagree, and don't think you fully understand - but not what this thread is about, so I will not respond again on this subject in this thread. Not the place for this discussion.

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I've just come to accept that it's not a great recording. The reissues are ok, but thats not saying anything.

Tensilversaxes and Tuck1977 like this.
  14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Something to remember is to not go by what cover or label it has, or what release it is part of, because, as seen in the Discogs entries, the same release can come with several matrices, so always check the deadwax. The 2-fer with the Moebius cover is around with several masterings, and it also has two different labels, the "marbeled" and the black, but I don't think the change in labels correspond to the masterings (but of course it gives a hint since the black is the later).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  15. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

HAHAHA!! VERY funny! :) No, seriously, people around here are VERY SERIOUS about this sort of stuff, so you can pretty much expect an argument on any and all topics. This is especially and even more true of classic recordings, which a lot of people here have listened to over and over again since 1970. ANY difference is going to be monumental to them. You might not even notice the differences or you may even prefer the "new" version, since it may mimic more recent production styles (i.e., it may sound more "modern" to your ears.) Just don't take offense and realize that some people love some pieces of music so much that they may lose their sense of propriety and control of their emotions when discussing them. I had (I gave it to my nephew recently) a U.S. original pressing of AYE and I prefer the 2010 re-issue, as I stated earlier in the thread. Others don't. YMMV.

Ellis943 and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.