AC/DC - 2009 tour or current tour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Which show was better overall, and why?

2. Baba Oh Really

Anyone seen the current tour??

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I saw them last time they were in SF, last fall. I rate it better than 2009 because I didn't see them in 2009. :) I had no interest in Black Ice but Rock Or Bust got my attention for some reason, maybe because of the Grammys performance.

4. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

I will be seeing them 2 weeks from today in St Louis, can't comment on the 2009 tour as I'm not much of a Brian Johnson Fan, taking my Daughter and Grandson they can't wait. There is another thread where a member just seen them in Tacoma the other day and said it was a really good show so I'm looking forward to taking the kids.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  5. Baba Oh Really

Rock or Bust is just about as good as the albums of the mid 1980's (Flick of the switch - Fly on the wall). And very similar, as well. A real return to form.

I'm holding off voting, since I didn't see them in 2009 either, but I did see them recently. Hard to top the current show.

6. Baba Oh Really

I took my father in law. After the show he looked at me and said "That was the greatest concert I've ever seen"

Terry likes this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I thought the show was really good. Given their age it was a lot better than I expected. I saw them on the Flick of the Switch tour and hadn't seen them since.

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Wish I could see either tour, but was broke the one time they played Nashville around '09, and clearly they aren't coming back anytime soon.

Has Slade gotten any better since that abysmal Grammy performance last year? I mean, he was a great drummer at one point (I thought his playing on the 1992 live album was fantastic, and he's played on some other records I've enjoyed), but man, that was unimpressive, and it was all on him. I haven't really seen any videos of this current tour, but at this stage of the game, I imagine I'd pick 2009 just because the correct drummer was there. (Rock Or Bust is a far, far superior record, though, for sure)

9. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

I saw the '09 tour at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL and the Rock or Bust tour at Wrigley Field last Fall. Both were outstanding, first saw the '85 tour at Rosemont and although a few of the players have changed over the years, they are still amazing and Angus Young and Brian Johnson deliver every night (saw them 3 other times in between, Stiff Upper Lip album and tour one of my favs).

I give an edge to the '09 show as I felt the RnR Train opener and train set was very cool, and having a still healthy Malcolm Young and Phil Rudd's drumming was like a blast of 70/80's glory. Wrigley was outstanding, can't beat that classic ballpark atmosphere, but '09 was extra special.

Given all that, I have a great seat for next week's show at the United Center in Chicago 2/17 and I'm excited as Hell (ain't a bad place to be!). Let There Be AC/DC Rock forever!

blutiga likes this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I suspect that anyone who has seen both tours will say they enjoyed 2009 more. The loss of Malcolm is huge; I love his rhythm guitar, and when I have seen them live, I watched him as much as I did Angus. "three steps forward, three steps back".

McRich and blutiga like this.
  11. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

2009 was better because they had the genius of Malcom Young's right hand, and the distinctive groove of Phil Rudd.

No contest.

MYQ1, Sandinista and blutiga like this.
  12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I saw them in Melbourne in December. Slade and Stevie Young can't swing like Malcolm and Phil Rudd, but nobody can.
    I still loved the concert. And as much as it pains me to say it, being a Bon Scott fan, but Brian Johnson really made it great too, he was awesome and sang with soul, he definitely wasn't just going through the motions.

wavethatflag likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Brian's always done as great of a job as any human possibly could in that situation. The material he's gotten has rarely been as good as the Bon years, but that isn't really his fault. I'm sure the shows are still great, and i'd go see them if they actually played here. Still a bummer they couldn't work out the drummer situation, or find someone with a little more swing and vibe behind the kit.

blutiga likes this.
  14. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Not going to vote because I haven't seen the current tour and probably won't because they want way too much money for tickets, but I was inclined to vote 2009 because of Malcolm... so glad I got to see him one last time.

blutiga likes this.
  15. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Just got back from St Louis last night's show was great Stevie Young and Chris Slade did admirable jobs replacing Malcom Young, and Phil Rudd. I got some pretty good pictures on my phone would love to share but not sure how to post pictures on this forum. They definitely rocked the house.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Saw them three times during the 2009 tour. It was "ok". I was slightly disappointed each time. They seemed sluggish compared to the other 3 or 4 times I've seen them.

Saw them 2 weeks ago in Vegas. It was GREAT.

This tour is better for two reasons:

1) They seem to have more energy. I hate to say it, but I think Malcolm was having some issues on that tour. They butchered "Back In Black" in Denver, though that could've been a monitor problem. Maybe the weak link was Rudd.

2) the setlist is better. "Have A Drink On Me", "Sin City", "Shot Down in Flames", "Given The Dog A Bone" are all "new" to the setlist.

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. nodeerforamonth

Where did you see them this tour?

AC/DC is my favorite band. Malcolm, my favorite rhythm guitarist. But things were better this time around.

Nothing topped 2000 though.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I haven't seen them on this tour yet, and won't until June 4 in London. I was just saying that I suspect that for those who have seen both shows, the loss of Mal will be too large to overcome. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't voted yet, so I don't know the results. Look forward to it though.

19. nodeerforamonth

I'll be interested in what you think.

I think on the 2009 tour, Malcolm was showing signs of his dementia and Rudd may have been having drug issues. Of course watching them the 3 times I saw them that tour (San Diego, Los Angeles, Denver), I didn't know that. I thought they were just getting older. There's more energy this tour (well, at the one time I saw them). Three days or more off in between shows may help too.

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i didn't see them in 2009 but I see them in about 2 and 1/2 weeks in DC.

21. Matthew Tate

that's nice but why can't the band bust out "moneytalks", "big gun", "hard as a rock" or "stiff upper lip"? all big hits that rarely get played. some of them haven't been played in 20 years

22. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

It wasn't Slade's fault.
    Angus slowed down during the opening riff of Highway To Hell.
    If Slade had come in at the normal tempo,they would have been completely out of time with each other.

23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Can you post how you enjoyed it. Would be good to hear more opinions

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

sure, its my first time ever seeing them though so i will enjoy it a lot lol

25. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

You will.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.