Nagaoka 102 inner LP sleeves > where to buy them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by canonlon, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really like the Nagaoka No.102 inner sleeves for vinyl records but they are quite costly at local shops.

I'd appreciate recommendations where to purchase them online.

Thanks.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

3. canonlon

4. Michael

that's too bad...they are a great company and the shipping costs are very reasonable to the US.

5. canonlon

I checked the website again > what I thought was 'shipping' quote was the 'total' quote. So it would cost about half price compared to local shops.

Thanks again.

6. enginesix

enginesix Member

Sleeve City, Disckeeper 1.5 round bottom lp sleeve, is very close. 50 for $10.

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

These Nagaoka sleeves look very similar to the great MoFi inners. I think I'll have to check them out.

McLover likes this.
  8. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

No, be careful, they are totally different from the MoFi inners. The do not incorporate a rice paper layer so they are extremely flimsy and they are U-shaped with a round bottom, not square. If they look square in a picture you've seen, that's because the sleeves come in a square bag.

9. Peter Downard

Peter Downard Member

The Nagaoka's are indeed flimsy but they are great for using with illustrated cardboard innersleeves, plain paper sleeves, or those nasty lined sleeves with the thick plastic (think old DGG poly liners that over time leache stuff all over the vinyl). Also the good old Mobile Fidelity sleeves are only a little less flimsy, and they are too big to go inside other innersleeves (still love them though).

10. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

For the absolute best results, I like to use the Nagaoka 102 sleeves inside a MOFI sleeve (rotated 90 degrees). My stock of Nagaoka 102s ran out a while ago; has anyone purchased these sleeves from cdjapan.co.jp? Are they reliable, and just as important, are these sleeves like the Nagaoka 102s of old? If so, I may be placing a big order!

11. Michael

one of the best companies I've ever dealt with! great packaging, service..they have it all...been buying from them for years. Highly recommended in my book!

Donniej likes this.
  12. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll give 'em a try! :righton:

13. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

I bought some Nagaoka 102 sleeves on Ebay recently and I've just open the cardboard container: the sleeves are plain, whereas previous purchases have had Nagaoka lettering on the side ... are they genuine or have I fallen prey to some dodgy dealings?

14. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

I've used 1000s of these sleeves over the years and rate them very highly. Dare I say that I replaced the MoFi ones with them!

15. blackholesun

blackholesun peace among worlds

The ones I bought from cdjapan last year came in a different packaging and were also plain. I used 100 pcs and have had no issues with them since.

Newscot likes this.
  16. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Thanks - that's a relief!

17. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I like Nagaoka sleeves due to the fact that they work well in older album covers that are a too-tight fit for larger inner sleeves. I love the Nitty Gritty sleeves but they are simply too bulky for some of my older LP covers. The Nagaokas are not only light but with the round bottom they tend to fit better.

Scott

18. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

May I ask why you use double layers of these high quality inner sleeves which both are made to be closest to the vinyl record? To me this seems to be a waste...

bootbox likes this.
  19. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

Sure, although I think perhaps "overkill" would be a better word than "waste". :)

I am firmly in the prevention is better than cure camp, and I am absolutely fastidious when it comes to keeping my vinyl clean. I want to do all I can to keep dust away from the precious (and easily damaged) playing surfaces. To that end, I first put the record in a Nagaoka 102 sleeve. I then put that sleeve into a MoFi sleeve (or I'll use the original sleeve if it doesn't have a centre hole cut in it), rotated through 90 degrees. Viewed from the front, if the open end of the MoFi sleeve is facing up, the open end of the Nagaoka sleeve which is inside it is facing to the left. When I put the Mofi (or original) sleeve inside the outer jacket, the open end of the Nagaoka sleeve is rotated 180 degrees away from the outer sleeve's open end.

The upshot of all this is that there is VERY little chance of room dust contaminating my records. I have records that I've owned from new for 30+ years, still in pristine condition thanks to my obsessiveness!

Oggy and soundQman like this.
  20. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

People have commented that my vinyl is in good condition, but really all I did was put them in a Nagoaka sleeve from new, and straight back in after playing. No static, no dust, no scratches.

21. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

Yeah, static is a big thing to try to avoid! I forgot to mention that the other reason why I double sleeve my records is that as much as I like them, I don't think the Nagaoka sleeves are substantial enough to use on their own.

22. blackholesun

Does anybody know if cdjapan stopped stocking Nagaokas 102 for good? Just been to their site to order some more and now it says "Out of print" :(

23. blackholesun

I contacted cdjapan and received a reply from them:

"Unfortunately, it is no longer obtainable.
    The manufacturer is no longer accepting any more order."

this is bad news :(

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I should have ordered a bunch more when they were still available. :(

25. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Dang! I bought 2 packs earlier this year. I guess I'll ration them now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.