David Bowie LP Blackstar (clear vinyl) $33

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tjazz, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big-Faced-Child

Big-Faced-Child Forum Resident

Has the postie been yet? Fingers crossed for you but totally jealous.

2. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

A clerk pulled my reserved copy and sold it to another customer, so even reserving a copy isn't a guarantee.

I did pick up a regular pressing at my local for $25, which made me happy.

3. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

i ordered this saturday night. just received it twenty minutes ago.

good luck to others who are waiting.

4. Shmockolovitch

Shmockolovitch Well-Known Member

Yep mine turned up today via courier, in perfect nick. Never to be opened as I will wait for the standard vinyl to be repressed at the end of the month!

Big-Faced-Child likes this.
  5. Big-Faced-Child

Nice one, I suspect JB have been very underhand about this and this proves my point.

You should go on the facebook thread on the JB page and mention that you got yours and that you ordered it on Sunday night. I would love to their excuse then.

https://www.facebook.com/JB.HiFi.Of...323122333795/1075247762507988/?type=3&theater

6. Shmockolovitch

when did you order yours? It was listed as still in stock but selling fast when I got mine.

7. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

I'm very lucky to have pre-ordered two copies + lithographs back in November and I'm told have arrived safely as I'm away for work at the moment. I don't think they will re-press the clear vinyl as it was always stated there would only ever be 5000 made but I think it's likely there will be another limited version perhaps in a different colour. I hope they keep the value as I don't want to sell either copy right now. I have also pre-ordered the black one on Amazon.

8. Big-Faced-Child

Early Sunday afternoon, still in stock and confirmed.

Then he died and the thieving staff saw an opportunity for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    I'm glad you were lucky enough to get one though, nice item.

I'll grab a black one from an independent shop once they are re-pressed.

9. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

is the 5000 limit exclusive to sets ordered from bowie's online store (w/lithographs) or does that include the barnes and noble exclusive (funny they use this word) as well?

10. Shmockolovitch

I would be P.O'd as well, did they charge you? I got charge on Tuesday so I assumed I got it, thought pretty dodgy that they charged before having the satock..Regarding 'lithograph' version, who knows? It's all sealed in plastic, never to be opened! I too will pruchase a 'standard' edition since I reckon black 180g vinyl sounds better.

11. Big-Faced-Child

They charged me straight away then refunded me on Wednesday. A few people go them delivered yesterday.
    In six months you will be able to pick up clear vinyl for a more reasonable price than what the vultures are charging now.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Got a great deal on this from another member on SHtv. Keep searching, they are out there!

13. Vinyl Addict

Who's to say all 5000 were pressed? maybe there was a backup when they were pressing them. They were not in high demand when they were being pressed. I know when I was calling around for a clear last week (My original B&N order got cancelled) several stores told me they were expecting more to come in shortly. Then, you could argue they were referring to the black.

14. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

15. Vinyl Addict

16. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Just to chime in with my B&N story. I walked into a B&N store in Little Rock, AK on the 10th hoping to get a clear copy. I couldn't find a copy of the album on cd or Vinyl so asked the clerk. Three interesting points came out of our brief conversation.

1: "I only put it on the shelf this morning" Referring to the clear vinyl I snagged.

2: They only got one copy of the clear vinyl and either hadn't bothered to put it on the shelf or didn't receive any black vinyl.

3: The clerk didn't even know who what "Blackstar" was or that B&N had a special clear edition (he told me I would be in a better position to decide if it was the clear version, even though there is a sticker on the front)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  17. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I once had a chat like that with a B&N employee working in the music section. Turned out the thing she had no idea about was in a special display stand set up for the title I was looking for.

I spoke with another one today who's holding the Blackstar LP for me, and yet another in a different store (nearer to me and now stocking Blackstar according to the B&N website) who told me they have none. Best to call before getting too excited by their reservation system.

18. I'm guessing this will get repressed quickly, but only the black vinyl.

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I put in an online reservation this morning at a BN store which showed that the black vinyl was in stock. I received an email saying that the LP could not be found. When I contacted the store, the clerk said that they had two copies, but two people had reserved the copies just before I had.

I located a copy at Newbury Comics, which had two copies, each going for $33. I was trying to decide whether to wait for more copies to show up in the market and for the price to come down, or just bite the bullet and snag a copy, and not worry about scrounging around later for a copy.

I bought it.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  20. hardmodskin

hardmodskin New Member

i was very disappointed in the way B&N handled it all. i had ordered my clear vinyl copy the day before his death. the website showed it as available and in stock. my payment went through fine and i received my confirmation number. then Bowie died and i went back to the site just to make sure all was well. EVEN ON THAT DAY it was shown as in stock, though the number of IN STORE copies was quickly decimated. even late in the day it was still Available and In Stock for online ordering until early evening when it switched to Out Of Stock. anyway, I received my email confirmation that my record would arrive Jan 15th. the big day arrived...no record. i logged in to track the record and it said "order in process." i spoke to customer care via B&N CHAT online and they said "oh that item is no longer available." i said Yeah I noticed because it didn't arrive on the 15th like your email stated. i told her that it was In Stock when i ordered it, and asked doesn't that take one out of inventory so that my order would be completed? amazon has a digital clicker ("order soon only 4 left!") that is extremely informative. furthermore, the website order status is Completely misleading because EVEN TO THIS DAY it states my order is "OPEN--IN PROCESS." yet customer care says no, the item is no longer available. I asked if they'll be getting more. cust care doesn't know. will they Ever alert me that the order will NOT be fulfilled? cust care didn't know. will there be any pressings of the clear vinyl to fulfill the orders ACCEPTED BY B&N when it showed as IN STOCK? cust care didn't know. i then spoke to a B&N rep on the phone and she was a little more sympathetic, but ultimately clueless. she only offered to cancel my order. GREAT experience. I was really looking forward to hearing the record. it's sad that the people that work the main B&N warehouse obviously saw an opportunity and grabbed the vinyl for themselves at the source, because there are a Lot of people with accepted orders that are still waiting for word from B&N that will likely never come. my copy is likely sitting on ebay right now for a $400 asking price. really, what kind of antiquated order system is B&N using?

21. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

sorry to hear that, man. i ordered mine the saturday night before his death and it took a week to get to me. don't recall them providing a date for delivery, but it felt long as hell. i was worried that i'd be in a situation you described. maybe it will still turn up on your door step still. i hope it does.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. David Hughes

David Hughes Forum Resident

even though I'm in the UK and will get hit by customs I'm sure, I've been keeping an eye on both an Australian DVD of The Gigolo (I review films for a living and should have it I suppose but it is pretty awful and just wanted it for the curio now....the german one is crap quality and cut - 95 instead of 101 mins) and the B&N Clear vinyl of Blackstar. I think I'm on a roll as just picked up a copy of Gigolo for under a tenner (the Oz one is $250 on amazon.com) then I thought I'd try my luck on B&N and they had one clear vinyl (couple of bucks more than black so right one) in stock (so they are restocking is my point) and jumped on it ($9 shipping to UK not unreasonable), the black vinyl is in stock too online at B&N as of now as a heads up. Off to do the lotto now while I've got the The Goldberg Variation (for any X-Philes out there ;-) )

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Cheli Venco likes this.
  23. David Hughes

David Hughes Forum Resident

Sorry getting my Australian and Dutch mixed up. Off topic (sorry!) but just FYI the Dutch DVD is the one I got which has the 101 min English version (longest I think that's out there after Hemmingway recut it down from 147 for the UK premiere in 1979), the old German DVD from the early 00's was a bit rubbish (and I think was a bootleg) and the $250 Oz version (Umbrella) is full frame!

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So the clear vinyl copies were originally offered at Barnes & Noble only?

Someone needs to get the clear pressings back as a Best Buy, and Target exclusive. Clear virgin vinyl works for me. And lots of money to be made still.

25. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Two stupid questions: what are the differences between the clear and the black vinyl and are they're still copies out there not priced over $200?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.