Shure WHLB Whitelabel DJ Turntable Cartridge ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mooseman, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need a new cartridge for my Audio Technica Turntable AT-PL 120...I bought this turntable model back in 2003. I been using the same stylus and cartridge it came with but I only started giving it more use from around 2007 on up to now. I heard good things about the Shure Whitelabel Cartridge. Any advice will help???
    I buy a lot of original pressings, I try to buy my records in the best possible condition. Need a good reliable cartridge.

2. mooseman

I had a feeling no one would respond to this post...:mad:

3. arem

arem Forum Resident

I know a lot of DJ's who like the White Label. In my personal experience I preferred the Shure 44G or 447 as a DJ cart but for listening I'm told the White Label sounds better and tracks lighter. There's lots of alternatives in the same price range though.

mooseman likes this.
  4. mooseman

Thanks arem, I also heard some good things about the M97 x E, and the M44-H. I have to make a decision soon.

5. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

SHURE WHITE LABEL
    Application
    Mix/Spin
    Skip Resistance High
    Output High
    Record Wear Very Low
    Sound Emphasis Spherical
    Solid Drop Bass with Flat Mids and Accented Highs

SHURE M447
    Application
    Scratch
    Skip Resistance Ultra High
    Output Ultra High
    Record Wear Ultra Low
    Sound Emphasis Spherical
    Big Bass

I use a M447 on my AT-PL 120 for home use for a few years have noticed no wear on records
    plus it tracks even the most difficult second hand records

mooseman likes this.
  6. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

I have a Shure White Label. It's a pretty decent conical stylus cartridge and it has the advantage of have somewhat adjustable overhang even though it has an integrated headshell. I used to use it pretty regularly for mono and early stereo records that didn't sound so great with my M97xe/SAS combo. Compared to the m97xe/SAS both ends of the spectrum seem a little more closed in. Lately I've just been using an n35x stylus on the m97xe for older records which sounds similar and is more convenient with my current setup.

mooseman likes this.
  7. thommo

thommo Senior Member

If you're looking at a new Shure, the M35X (tracks at 1.5-3.0) or SC35C (4.0-5.0) would be my shout, and the styli are interchangeable.

The SC35C was a broadcast cartridge used by the BBC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.