Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Hopefully something from the FITD remaster will be released for RSD in April.

theMess likes this.
  2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

It's really a shame that Off The Ground isn't coming with Flowers In The Dirt. It's one of those albums that I've kept off from listening for a while, and I regret it. The B-sides are really great from that era and the McCartney/MacManus compositions from OTG are a good reason to pair both albums together.

5th-beatle, Sean, Carlox and 5 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes. Off The Ground is the logical album to be paired with Flowers In The Dirt. Too bad that it's not happening.

Sean, Carlox, Shak Cohen and 3 others like this.
  4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

We might get lucky and have both at the same time. I realise there's no precedent yet for getting an album that's not on our beloved "Coming Soon" cards, but perhaps they hadn't signed off for definite on an Off The Ground release last autumn but have done since.

What can I say, I'm a guy with a positive outlook! :wiggle:

5. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

The reissue of Off The Ground a couple years ago leads me to believe it's not getting the deluxe treatment.

rstamberg likes this.
  6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Quite possibly right. If so, I shan't be too upset, after all, it's in to an era where pretty much everything official from the time, including B sides, was issued digitally anyway. Hopefully any demos/rarities of the era would end up on the Dylan Bootleg Series style release that many of us hope is coming at some point!

7. leeroy jenkins

Right, I would say that the reason it's not getting the deluxe treatment is that it was already released as a double CD, but obviously Flowers in the Dirt was also 2 CDs. So, there goes that theory.

8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Which Flowers In The Dirt release was over 2CDs? Was there an official release similar to the Off The Ground "Complete Works"? I'm aware of the "Flowers In The Dirt Complete" release, but was that official or a b00tleg?

9. leeroy jenkins

It was released in Japan as a 2CD set gathering B-sides and odds and ends. My introduction to P.S. Love Me Do :cry:

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Ouch. My commiserations! o_O

11. Arnold Grove

Yes. CD1 was the album with Ou Est Le Soleil as the last song.

CD2 was:

CD2
    Total Playing Time 34:03
    1 Message to Japanese fans 0:28
    2 The Long And Winding Road (live version from Put It There video) 3:51
    3 Loveliest Thing 3:59
    4 Rough Ride (live version from Put It There video) 4:53
    5 Ou Est Le Soleil (7" Mix) 4:50
    6 Mama's Little Girl 3:41
    7 Same Time Next Year 3:06
    8 Party Party 5:35
    9 P.S. Love Me Do (studio version) 3:40

12. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

And, based on that, I think the rumours of Flaming Pie being next are supported because that, and Chaos And Creation, are the only EMI albums not recently reissued as a single disc.
    However, by that same logic, Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway are also potential entries into the series as well.

There were rumours of this series lasting about 9 releases. If you pair up the twin releases as 1 each, Flaming Pie would be #8 in the series and Chaos #9.
    Hopefully, Paul can be convinced by Hear Music to do a second wave of the series to fill in the missing gaps.

13. emkay

emkay Senior Member

There is a Chaos reissue on Concord...

14. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Im put all my money thar we're only going to see FITD, FP and CCBY on the deluxe treatments. Based on potential extra music and video footage.

15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

But there's plenty of potential extra music and video for Wild Life and RRS too...

Also, I don't believe the "rumors" of the Archive Collection lasting only 9 releases. That may have arisen from that one quote from his manager a few years ago, which has been analyzed syllable by syllable several times here. We may see a scaling back at some point, and we may even see digital-only releases at some point, but I still believe every studio album will be remastered and reissued eventually.

16. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

If we add to that list the other b-sides and 12'' tracks such as

The first stone
    I'm wanna cry
    Flying to my home
    Good sign
    The single re-make of "Figure of eight"
    The Club Lovejoy mix of "This one" and the various remixes of "Où est le soleil"

we obtain a quite long list of tracks. Considering that for the previous Archives reissues the Bonus Cds were quite short, I'm wondering:

1) if we're gonna get ALL the released material related to Flowers in the dirt ? Last year's "Pipes of peace" reissue showed us that Paul had no interest in including period remixes into the project.
    2) if indeed everything is included, will there be enough room for new unreleased stuff ? (demos, lost tracks, etc....)

Questions, questions....

Billy Budapest and Shak Cohen like this.
  17. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

No tracklist has been announced ?

18. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Nothing has been officially announced as yet other the "Coming Soon" card that indicated FITD was next in the Archive Collection series.

19. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Unfortunately I do not have high hopes.... They should (and could) do one thing straight: a bonus cd with ALL the McCartey/Costello demos.

20. Arnold Grove

Yes, that would be ideal.
    BUT since Off The Ground (which contained some more of the McCartney/Costello songs) is NOT being released along with Flowers In The Dirt, it is doubtful all of the McCartney/Costello demos will be included just with a deluxe Flowers set. We might get some demos with Flowers. Then we might get some other demos with Off The Ground (if that ever gets the Archive treatment some day in the future).

21. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I agree, and think PM wants it done, the albums at least up to maybe the end of the 1990s re-presented and out there and in his own collection, even if they end up strict limited editions or whatever.

22. Off the Ground is "ready made" for a deluxe edition:

Disc 1) Standard Album
    Disc 2) the "Complete" Works disc 2
    Disc 3) the stuff missing from "Complete" Works:
    Deliverance
    Deliverance (dub mix)
    Mean Woman Blues
    Off the Ground 12" mix/video mix (Soggy Noodle into regular album mix)
    Off the Ground (Bob Clearmountain remix)
    Off the Ground (Keith Cohen remix)(Japanese single remix)
    Off the Ground (Keith Cohen remix, Larry Walsh AC edit)
    Plus the McCartney/MacManus demos

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Mean Woman Blues (and Midnight Special and Things We Said Today...) can sit back for a hopeful Unplugged Archive edition. But you can't forget Is It Raining In London!

Also, I doubt they'd ever consider all those Off The Ground mixes. If anything, we might get none, and instead a brand new mix.

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think MPL are going to have to work harder to secure Deluxe sales for albums from FITD (chronologically) onwards, seeing as hardcore fans will already have digital versions of the B sides of the era from the CD singles.

Was there anything from FITD or Off The Ground that has only ever seen the light of day on vinyl or cassette so far?

Johnny Reb likes this.
  25. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for demos and if possible unreleased recordings from the sessions.

theMess and OobuJoobu like this.