Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

EBRecords .

2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

They are the absolute best seller I've bought a Bear Family box from. Rock bottom prices and their packaging is second to none. Enjoy your box.

Myke likes this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

EBRecords is actually the new name of Ernie B's, which was recommended in the other thread.

Lost In The Flood and Myke like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have maybe a dozen titles and none of the very recent titles

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Keep your Orbison in Mono set!

6. Myke

Of course, that's not in the list of the 4 I'm selling.

7. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

They didn't ask me for any proof, just make sure you send them your address, as they will email you back and ask for it anyway. It took a little over a week after they said they were sending it to me for me to receive it. If that doesn't work, your going to have to email Wren and let her know what happened.

8. GodBlessTinyTim

They got back to me yesterday, in fact. Just asked for my address. No trouble whatsoever.

9. GodBlessTinyTim

Got a couple more Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight volumes, Wade Ray - Idaho Red and George & Earl - Better Stop, Look and Listen. George McCormick was a dead ringer for Hank Williams, recording for MGM within a year of Hank's death and using the exact same studio band.

melstapler likes this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

So the Wynn Stewart replacement disc looks to be a CD-R, but not the end of the world. Now I can delve into the set without that sickening feeling of incompleteness.

11. darling

darling Senior Member

12. GodBlessTinyTim

Funny enough, I ordered some things off Ernie B's last night with that discount in mind but forgot to enter it at the checkout. I sent them an email immediately after with the PayPal transaction attached, but today they shipped the order without factoring the deduction. They aren't answering their phones either. Better yet, they "upgraded" the shipping to FedEx air, which I'll have to pay 30 or 40 bucks for when the package arrives. I've had good luck with Ernie B's in the past, but I think I'll be sticking to Amazon.ca and Discogs for the forseeable future.

13. Myke

When I ordered from them through the Amazon Marketplace, I saved approx. $ 20.00 on the Orbison box, compared to their site.

14. GodBlessTinyTim

Amazon.com used to be a good option until the international shipping was jacked up to $14 per item.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

After websites killed local stores, now shipping costs are killing mail order. Shipping costs cross country used to cost less than the gas to drive to my local record store. Now a used CD in a record store costs less than shipping costs for that same CD, even if from the next town

Freek999 likes this.
  16. Darby

Darby Forum Resident

Johnny Cash's Man in Black series from the years 1954-1969 (his greatest years imo)

melstapler and Mr. H like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wish Bear Family would return to more early (pre-1954, but especially 1930's-1940's) country music. The Cattle/Bronco label from Germany (now largely defunct) and the BACM label from the UK issued a tremendous amount of music that deserves a classier , higher quality Bear Family treatment. But that stuff is mostly gone. If Bear Family doesn't do it now, no one else will. I just did a special broadcast on vintage cowboy singers as a memorial to my 94 year old Dad, and I realized this rich history of some great singers is terribly under-represented on CDs that anyone can get their hands on. As much as I may enjoy rockabilly and blues, Bear Family's history is largely founded on classic country music. How about Volume 2 of Gene Autry? Volume 1 held promise...we need more, along with the very fine, but forgotten, cowboy singers.

18. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I love both the Waylon Jenning's box sets, Willie's 'Nashville Was the roughest', 'Songs For Politcal Action' (V/A), The Johnny Cash box sets, Hank Snow, Flat & Scruggs 3 box's, 'Next Stop Vietnam', 'Sarg Records Anthology'..I have a few others as well. I really love bear Family. Nothing but quality.

I'd love the Chuck box....and the Jerry Lee....and those Sun records sets......

melstapler likes this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Never a better time to buy than on the Ernie B's website under the wholesale tab and adding the 15% discount (expires 2/26)

20. baptistbusman

I just bought the first Buck Owens set. Holy Smokes is it ever good. I just now started the 2nd disc and it's possibly the best Bear Family set I have. Anyone have the other 2 sets? Are they as good?

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just placed that 15% off wholesale order on Ernie B's. 13 single CDs and 2 boxes.

Now I have to drink 5,000 bottles of beer so I can return the empties to pay for this. Though it is almost 1:00 AM, I'll start now.

GodBlessTinyTim, Kkfan and The Killer like this.
  22. baptistbusman

I've been doing all I can to talk myself out of buying anything, simply because I have been going WAY overboard with my Bear Family purchases since October. But nothing beats opening a brand new set.

melstapler likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'm like many music collectors. There was nothing in the world like running your fingernail through the seal on a new vinyl record or through the seal on a Bear Family box set.
    It was something my wife didn't know about me when she married me.

melstapler, Kkfan and Judge Judy like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

25. GodBlessTinyTim

I just got that box myself, and it really is great. Buck was a remarkably consistent performer. I was blown away to learn he recorded 41 albums for Capitol in a ten-year span.

Judging by the ones I know and the song samples on AllMusic, his work seems just as strong on the second box. However, be aware that it also contains one or two disc's worth of Buckaroos instrumentals, a Christmas album, and a disc of session takes. I'm not quite sold on it yet.